UPS with a " I don't want it to beep when lose power' option

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by - Bobb -, Jul 15, 2007.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I can't be the only one with this issue and can't find an alternative.
    Advice? Different vendor ?
    I've got a few of these home-office-sized UPS 350VA, 500VA from APC and
    when I lose power at the house, I CANNOT turn off the #$%'ing beeping
    noise ! There is ONE in the bedroom that I would want to wake me up (
    CPAC machine), and I'd then silence it. I asked a few months ago at APC
    website 'how to disable?' - no response. I'd like to be able to go back to
    bed without hearing the 'no power alarm' beep every 20 seconds from each
    UPS until the batteries die ( from BEEPING !). I would like to have no
    beep at all from the others ( in Living room for tuner/tv/etc, one for
    each pc etc.)
    I want to avoid roaming the house in the dark to unplug each UPS. It makes
    no sense to me that the ONLY way to go back to bed is to UNLUG
    everything - kinda defeats the whole reason for BUYING one doesn't it ?!
    If I should lose power, I want the PC UPS to give me enough time to power
    down gracefully - quietly. The one for the TV/Tuner is just so that I
    don't have to reprogram everything after power outage.

    I used to have a pro series APC SU600 for main PC that had a 'push here to
    silence the alarm' button and I assumed that all UPS would have it.
    I'm checking computer stores online - Cyberpower seems same way - site
    mentions alarm but not that you can turn it off.
    Anyone have a reasonably priced UPS that you can disable the beeping ?

    Thanks
    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Jul 15, 2007

  2. - Bobb -

    olfart Guest

    >I can't be the only one with this issue and can't find an alternative.
    >Advice? Different vendor ?
    > I've got a few of these home-office-sized UPS 350VA, 500VA from APC and
    > when I lose power at the house, I CANNOT turn off the #$%'ing beeping
    > noise ! There is ONE in the bedroom that I would want to wake me up (
    > CPAC machine), and I'd then silence it. I asked a few months ago at APC
    > website 'how to disable?' - no response. I'd like to be able to go back to
    > bed without hearing the 'no power alarm' beep every 20 seconds from each
    > UPS until the batteries die ( from BEEPING !). I would like to have no
    > beep at all from the others ( in Living room for tuner/tv/etc, one for
    > each pc etc.)
    > I want to avoid roaming the house in the dark to unplug each UPS. It makes
    > no sense to me that the ONLY way to go back to bed is to UNLUG
    > everything - kinda defeats the whole reason for BUYING one doesn't it ?!
    > If I should lose power, I want the PC UPS to give me enough time to power
    > down gracefully - quietly. The one for the TV/Tuner is just so that I
    > don't have to reprogram everything after power outage.
    >
    > I used to have a pro series APC SU600 for main PC that had a 'push here to
    > silence the alarm' button and I assumed that all UPS would have it.
    > I'm checking computer stores online - Cyberpower seems same way - site
    > mentions alarm but not that you can turn it off.
    > Anyone have a reasonably priced UPS that you can disable the beeping ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bobb

    Doesn't the Power button on the front panel turn off everything...including
    the beep"
    I have a 350, 100 and a 1200 and the power button kills all of them

    olfart, Jul 15, 2007

  3. - Bobb -

    Rank Guest

    Don<t know which UPS you have exactly but you might need APC software if you
    don't already (Free on APC site)
    Go in the VIEW menu, then DEVICE PROPERTIES, then POWER PARAMETERS, there
    you will find the option to have or not have the audible waring
    image here ->

    http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9279/bipsl9.jpg

    Rank, Jul 15, 2007
  4. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    - Bobb -, Jul 15, 2007
  5. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    >> I used to have a pro series APC SU600 for main PC that had a 'push here
    >> to silence the alarm' button and I assumed that all UPS would have it.
    >> I'm checking computer stores online - Cyberpower seems same way - site
    >> mentions alarm but not that you can turn it off.
    >> Anyone have a reasonably priced UPS that you can disable the beeping ?

    > Doesn't the Power button on the front panel turn off
    > everything...including the beep"
    > I have a 350, 100 and a 1200 and the power button kills all of them

    Yeah, I could turn it OFF, and leave it off, but it defeats the purpose of
    me even having standby power. If I turn it OFF and then go back to bed/ to
    work, my stuff ( whatever it is) isn't ON. Is that what you do ? I would
    like it, so that when I lose power, it 'keeps my stuff going' QUIETLY as
    long as possible and if power is restored before the batteries discharge,
    then just keep on going QUIETLY. IF I have one for the stereo equipment
    ( am I dating myself just using that terminology?) , it's a convenience,
    not critical. If I lose power at 5am - don't wake me up! Now - if I lose
    power the only way to NOT hear it is to turn it off / unplug it. So I'd
    turn it off, maybe go to work and then have to return home to power it
    back up ?? In a storm, if I need to listen to radio, I still hear the
    beep, beep, beep - unless I turn everything off. Why waste my 'radio
    listening time' , by the battery going beep,beep .

    Maybe it IS just me, but I just thought it would be a common option.

    - Bobb -, Jul 15, 2007
  6. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Rank,

    Do you know ...
    If I hook each up to my PC, then program it , will those settings work
    WITHOUT a PC ? Or is it their software that controls it ( with a PC) via
    the external cable ? Would you know: if I program it - after the batteries
    discharge will it 'remember' or need to reprogram it each time ?
    I couldn't find that answer at apc.com
    I'll check their site again, but I remember scrolling thru their Knowledge
    Base until I was seeing W98/NT issues - pre my models and found no info on
    'ALARM'

    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Jul 15, 2007
  7. Hi!

    APC markets some units that can be told not to beep at all. The BR1500LCD
    and BR1300LCD models can both have their beepers configured to stay off. You
    can find at least the 1500 model for sale at Best Buy in the US. It is
    advertised as a "Back UPS XS" there. Price is around $144.

    For your existing UPS units, a little circuit modification might be in
    order. I have "muted" various UPS units in times past by opening them up
    (unplug the unit, disconnect the batteries FIRST and *be careful* -- these
    things contain hazardous parts that may store energy even after the battery
    is disconnected) and removing the offending beeper. This is effective but it
    will invalidate any warranty your UPS is under.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jul 15, 2007
  8. > The BR1500LCD and BR1300LCD models can both have their
    > beepers configured to stay off.

    These units don't require you to load any software to turn the beeper off.
    Simply holding down the alarm silence button will cause the beeper to be
    turned off and it will stay off.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jul 15, 2007
  9. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> writes:
    >Do you know ...
    >If I hook each up to my PC, then program it , will those settings work
    >WITHOUT a PC ? Or is it their software that controls it ( with a PC) via
    >the external cable ? Would you know: if I program it - after the batteries
    >discharge will it 'remember' or need to reprogram it each time ?

    You might have to try it. APC's manuals aren't very detailed.

    I have a Back-UPS LS 500 on this machine, and one of the configurable
    options is "Disable battery backup alarms when the PC is off or
    hibernated or between the hours of <two boxes to set the start and end
    of quiet time>". Since the UPS doesn't seem to have its own clock, the
    time-sensitive stuff would have to be done with the help of the host
    PC. But it *could* be done by a single command to enable or disable
    beeps each time the system wakes up or hibernates, or one of the time
    boundaries are passed.

    I note that the time-based restrictions can be turned on only along
    with the off/hibernate option, meaning there's no way for the
    time-based restriction to change while the PC is asleep. This suggests
    that the smarts are in the monitor application, and the UPS is just told
    to shut up indefinitely when the PC goes off.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jul 15, 2007
  10. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: UPS with a " I don't want it to beep' option

    I grabbed the APC UPS (ES350U) from the living room and went to hook it up
    to my PC to program it - and NOW I remember why I didn't install the
    software. For me to connect the UPS to be able to program it , I need to
    buy a USB to RJ45 cable for $39. That's why I never did it ! I paid $30 to
    buy the UPS - I'm not gonna pay $39 to talk to it !

    SO, I just came from BestBuy. They have a Cyperpower 550VA UPS on sale for
    $35 - with a cable and software. I'll program IT, put it in the living
    room and then unplug it a few times to see if it 'remembers' to not beep.
    If that works OK, I'll then use the 350VA APC UPS for the PC and just
    turn it off when I lose power. If it doesn't work , I'll disconnect the
    pseaker in the APC and return the CP UPS to Best Buy.

    William - I had looked before at APC for schematics. I'm with you -
    disconnect the speaker and put a note on it to remind myself in case I
    ever DO want it to beep.

    Thanks guys.

    - Bobb -, Jul 15, 2007
  11. Re: UPS with a " I don't want it to beep' option

    The cable that you need originally came with the UPS. GUARANTEED
    (unless the UPS was not truly new and sealed, e.g. if it was "open box").

    But, that said, APC is absolutely idiotic for not just using standard
    USB sockets on their UPS'.

    All of the APC UPS' that I have (500VA, 725VA and 1,500VA) can be
    programmed not to beep; some of the earlier models with serial port
    interfaces cannot be so programmed. I THINK that all models with USB
    ports can be programmed.

    Many of the low end UPS' with 300-350VA ratings have what I call "toy
    batteries" .... 12 volts at THREE amp-hours. Many of these are in a
    compartment originally intended for the very standard 12 volt 7AH
    batteries, with insert fins molded into the compartment for the smaller
    battery. A little bit of work with some plastic cutting tools will
    enable you to upgrade those units to the larger 7AH battery (it's pretty
    obvious when you can and cannot do this). I've been told, but cannot
    verify, that the 350VA units are actually the same as the 500VA units
    except for the smaller battery.

    Willard Sandilands, Jul 15, 2007
  12. For APC models that have USB ports, the "silence" programming is in the
    UPS. If you connect it to a PC and tell it to be silent, it will remain
    silent thereafter whether connected to the PC or not, at least as long
    as there isn't a total loss of all power to the UPS (e.g. battery
    becomes completely discharged).

    Willard Sandilands, Jul 15, 2007
  13. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Willard Sandilands" <> wrote in message
    > For APC models that have USB ports, the "silence" programming is in the
    > UPS. If you connect it to a PC and tell it to be silent, it will remain
    > silent thereafter whether connected to the PC or not, at least as long
    > as there isn't a total loss of all power to the UPS (e.g. battery
    > becomes completely discharged).

    For the Cyberpower I bought - that's how it looked. I installed sw on a
    backup image ( so it doesn't show ( not connected every time I boot), ,
    hooked up USB2 cable, chose " Disable all alerts" and shutdown pc - hooked
    up the UPS in living room and when I unplugged it / back in - no beep -
    great! (My APC had only rj45 and 2 rj12 jacks)

    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Jul 15, 2007
  14. - Bobb -

    Val Guest

    Bobb

    If you want one of those RJ45 to USB cables, let me know. I've ended up
    with several that I don't use, not even sure if I still have UPSs around
    that they go to.

    Remove the obvious from my reply email.

    Val

    Val, Jul 15, 2007
  15. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: UPS

    Thanks Val,
    If others say " I got one", then it's here - somewhere.
    I'll check and let you know if I do need one.
    Thanks for the offer.

    - Bobb -, Jul 15, 2007
  16. Re: UPS with a " I don't want it to beep' option

    Willard Sandilands <> writes:
    >The cable that you need originally came with the UPS. GUARANTEED
    >(unless the UPS was not truly new and sealed, e.g. if it was "open box").

    >But, that said, APC is absolutely idiotic for not just using standard
    >USB sockets on their UPS'.

    They seem to have changed. The one I'm using now does indeed have a
    standard USB B jack on it. No special cable needed.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jul 16, 2007