USB Attache 256 MB out of ink!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim Jones, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. Jim Jones

    Jim Jones Guest

    Hi, I bought a 256 Mb USB flash memory drive at Christmas, but
    yesterday I had a problem - when I went to copy data onto the drive, I
    got an error "Error copying file, Cannot create or replace [File]: The
    system cannot read from the specified device."

    I have also had blue screens saying "Disk write error, unable to write
    to disk in drive e:. Data or files may be lost. Press any key to
    continue."

    It should have a capacity of 256mb, I get 247Mb useable space, but now
    can only write around 120mb onto it before getting these errors.

    I have tried re-formatting it, to no avail. Also I tried running
    scandisk which said that it would "fix" the drive by marking the
    clusters (31675 onwards) un-useable.

    I haven't done any extra-ordinary with it, and haven't removed it
    without first stopping it or shutting down the pc.
    Is there anything I can try to get it going again? or do I need to
    take it back, as I've only had it three months!

    Any help welcome, Thanks.
    Jim Jones, Mar 23, 2005