USB flash drives & photo printing kiosks

Discussion in 'Dell' started by ps56k, Apr 7, 2011.

  1. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
    that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.

    Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
    with using any of my USB flash drives
    with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
    the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.

    It's not just my single keychain flash,
    it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
    always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
    In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
    one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
    and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.

    I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
    come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
    and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
    It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
    some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.

    Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

    --
    / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
    No Good Deed -

    1. Advertising

  2. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    ps56k wrote:
    > I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
    > that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
    >
    > Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
    > with using any of my USB flash drives
    > with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
    > the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
    >
    > It's not just my single keychain flash,
    > it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
    > always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
    > In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
    > one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
    > and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
    >
    > I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
    > come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
    > and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
    > It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
    > some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
    >
    > Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

    If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
    being infected by someone's USB drive.

    Daddy

    1. Advertising

  3. ray

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:23:09 -0400, Daddy wrote:

    > ps56k wrote:
    >> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain that I use for a
    >> variety of uses... just in case type things.
    >>
    >> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems with using any of my USB flash
    >> drives with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
    >> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
    >>
    >> It's not just my single keychain flash, it's any of the different
    >> brands laying around the house - always have a problem reading them in
    >> the kiosk. In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
    >> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk, and is no longer even
    >> recognized by our laptops.
    >>
    >> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive, come home and
    >> re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card and go back and use the SD
    >> Card, which works just fine. It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size
    >> issue, some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
    >>
    >> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????
    >>

    > If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
    > being infected by someone's USB drive.

    If you don't insist on MS, it's generally not much of a problem.

    > Daddy

  4. Better Info

    Better Info Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:23:09 -0400, Daddy <> wrote:

    >ps56k wrote:
    >> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
    >> that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
    >>
    >> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
    >> with using any of my USB flash drives
    >> with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
    >> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
    >>
    >> It's not just my single keychain flash,
    >> it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
    >> always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
    >> In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
    >> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
    >> and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
    >>
    >> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
    >> come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
    >> and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
    >> It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
    >> some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
    >>
    >> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????
    >>

    >If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
    >being infected by someone's USB drive.
    >
    >Daddy

    Which is odd, because many USB flash drives use micro-SD format chips in
    them (or seem to), and SD cards seem to work according to the OP. My
    keychain flash-drive just uses interchangeable Micro-SD/HC cards. The whole
    thing is just the width of a USB plug/port's contacts, not even including a
    USB plug's external width, and about two times as long as the
    contacts'-width. Much smaller than the average key on a keychain. The only
    drawback with it being so small, is that I accidentally left it in a
    notebook I was repairing for a friend's friend, and had to call them when
    they got home to remind them to find it and take it out to return it. They
    didn't even notice it plugged in until I told them to look for it. The same
    way that I didn't even notice I had left it plugged in to begin with.

  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Daddy wrote:
    > ps56k wrote:
    >> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
    >> that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
    >>
    >> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
    >> with using any of my USB flash drives
    >> with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
    >> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
    >>
    >> It's not just my single keychain flash,
    >> it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
    >> always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
    >> In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
    >> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
    >> and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
    >>
    >> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
    >> come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
    >> and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
    >> It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
    >> some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
    >>
    >> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

    > If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
    > being infected by someone's USB drive.

    What's to infect Daddy? A *nix system that boots from a ROM chip? (Hint: ROM
    = Read Only Memory.)

    Some people take paranoia to the next level....
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

  6. Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On 4/7/2011 1:59 PM, ps56k wrote:
    > I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
    > that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
    >
    > Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
    > with using any of my USB flash drives
    > with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
    > the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
    >
    > It's not just my single keychain flash,
    > it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
    > always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
    > In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
    > one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
    > and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
    >
    > I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
    > come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
    > and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
    > It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
    > some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
    >
    > Anyone else had probs with using USB drives& the kiosks ????

    No.

  7. Allen

    Allen Guest

    On 4/10/2011 9:41 AM, Dave Cohen wrote:
    > On 4/7/2011 1:59 PM, ps56k wrote:
    >> I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
    >> that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
    >>
    >> Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
    >> with using any of my USB flash drives
    >> with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
    >> the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
    >>
    >> It's not just my single keychain flash,
    >> it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
    >> always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
    >> In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
    >> one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
    >> and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
    >>
    >> I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
    >> come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
    >> and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
    >> It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
    >> some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
    >>
    >> Anyone else had probs with using USB drives& the kiosks ????
    >>

    > No.

    I've used several different brands (sizes ranging from 256 Mb--really
    really old--up to 8 Gb) in the kiosks at CostCo and Wolf Camera (part of
    Ritz Camera) with no problems. The USBs have survived and as far as I
    know, so have the kiosks. If there was any damage to the kiosks it
    probably been brought to my attention.
    Allen

  8. mm

    mm Guest

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:59:06 -0500, "ps56k"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
    >that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.
    >
    >Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
    >with using any of my USB flash drives
    >with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
    >the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.
    >
    >It's not just my single keychain flash,
    >it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
    >always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
    >In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
    >one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
    >and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.
    >
    >I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
    >come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
    >and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
    >It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
    >some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.
    >
    >Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

    Have you talked to the people at the kiosk?

    My credit/debit card wouldn't work as a credit card at one chain of
    gas stations and when I asked inside, the manager said that happened
    with Bank of America, and Maryland Federal Credit Union..