    RAM: 1GB (2x512)

    Hope somebody can help!
    Johanna
    Johanna, Jan 10, 2006

  2. Johanna

    Guest

    Hi Johanna,

    To check if you are running USB1 or USB2:
    Enter Device Manager (Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager)
    Click on USB Controllers at the bottom
    It should open up into a tree structure, and toward the top should
    reference ENHANCED USB controller, hub, or words to that effect. The
    work Enhanced signifies USB2. If you cannot find that word, you are
    running USB1.

    If you are running XP, you can get USB2 by downloading and installing
    Service Pack 2 from the Microsoft Website.
    , Jan 18, 2006

  3. Johanna

    Johanna Guest

    Hi and thanks for helping me out with this!
    I followed your advice and there is no mentioning in Device manager of
    ENHANCED USB Controller...
    But I definitely have XP sp 2 installed!
    How strange! I am quite sure that USB 2 was enabled previously. Because
    I don't know how it works I am not able to troublshoot it.

    I would be really grateful for some advice on how to solve this as I was
    planning to by a fast storage device for my multimedia files. Without
    USB 2 or firewire it would be too slow I think.
    My email address is <my first name>@ homechoice.co.uk
    All the best
    Johanna

    Johanna, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Johanna

    Johanna Guest

    More info:

    Thanks for helping me earlier!
    I followed your advice and here is what I found so far..

    In Device Manager, the PC does NOT list Enhanced USB (USB 2)
    However I know for sure that the motherboard supports it!
    I checked the Chipset settings in the Setup menu at startup. USB 2 is
    enabled!

    I did some research online and the recurring advice seemed to be to
    install WinXP SP 2.
    But I already have that!
    The "friendly" wizard won't let me re-install it since I already have
    the latest version.
    There is no option to uninstall sp2 in "Add/Remove Programs....

    Not sure what to do next! Can you help?

    All the best
    Jo
    Johanna, Jan 18, 2006
  5. Johanna

    Chris Guest

    There is a newsgroup: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle

    But this might help:
    In the BIOS setup (DEL key pressed as the machine starts) there is an option
    on my shuttle to set up how the USB works: USB1; USB2 or both. This
    might be what's wrong.

    HTH

    Chris, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Johanna

    Guest

    Re: More info:

    The only thing that I can think of is to make sure auto-update is
    enabled in your XP. If not, check for any updates you can get from
    Microsoft, that might do it. Other than that I don't have a clue.
    , Jan 20, 2006