    USB 1.0
    TIA
    Keith

    John Smith, Apr 2, 2004

  2. I have used cheap generic USB brackets on a VA-503+ with Win98 (first edition),
    and also on a VA-503A with Windows 2000/XP. They use standard USB pinouts, so
    most brackets you find on the market these days should work just fine.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Apr 2, 2004

  3. John Smith

    Roger Hunt Guest

    In article <>, Alex Zorrilla <>
    wrote
    >I have used cheap generic USB brackets on a VA-503+ with Win98 (first edition),
    >and also on a VA-503A with Windows 2000/XP. They use standard USB pinouts, so
    >most brackets you find on the market these days should work just fine.
    >
    >John Smith wrote:
    >
    >> What luck have people had getting the original FIC USB bracket to work with
    >> this mobo under *W98SE*?
    >> I have seen a few mobos advertised on e-bay recently and wondered if the
    >> bracket was just a sales gimmick?
    >> Are any after-market or other makes' brackets recommended?
    >> Seems most people here have used a PCI USB card, but I noticed at least a
    >> 10% drop in 3dMark2001 using a Belkin card, so would be happy to settle for
    >> USB 1.0
    >> TIA
    >> Keith

    I've used one of the generic brackets on a 503+ with 98SE and my Epson
    2400 scanner - worked fine.

    I trust you are aware that the 503+ uses COMM port ribbon cables with a
    relatively uncommon pinout - the cause of much aggravation in the past
    here.
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Apr 2, 2004
  4. John Smith

    Robert Akins Guest

    You should be able to get USB 1.1 (1.0?) working with either the original
    FIC USB adapter or a Belkin or equivalent USB bracket with cables that
    attach to the USB header on the board. One works as well as the other.
    It's very hard to find the original FIC bracket and it's not necessary. The
    USB implementation on the VIA MVP3 chipset leaves much to be desired,
    though. Works fine with some peripherals but not others.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Apr 4, 2004
  5. John Smith

    Brad Clarke Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 07:02:11 GMT, "Robert Akins"
    <> wrote:

    >>You should be able to get USB 1.1 (1.0?) working with either the original
    >>FIC USB adapter or a Belkin or equivalent USB bracket with cables that
    >>attach to the USB header on the board. One works as well as the other.
    >>It's very hard to find the original FIC bracket and it's not necessary. The
    >>USB implementation on the VIA MVP3 chipset leaves much to be desired,
    >>though. Works fine with some peripherals but not others.

    Here's the link to the Belkin USB bracket for anyone whose interested:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=17894

    Brad

    Brad Clarke, Apr 4, 2004
  6. John Smith

    Kylesb Guest

    Further, I've seen the belkin bracket at Compusa and Bestbuy, and
    maybe also Circuitcity

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Apr 4, 2004
  7. John Smith

    A.Boretz Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:53:08 GMT, Brad Clarke
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 07:02:11 GMT, "Robert Akins"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>>You should be able to get USB 1.1 (1.0?) working with either the original
    >>>FIC USB adapter or a Belkin or equivalent USB bracket with cables that
    >>>attach to the USB header on the board. One works as well as the other.
    >>>It's very hard to find the original FIC bracket and it's not necessary. The
    >>>USB implementation on the VIA MVP3 chipset leaves much to be desired,
    >>>though. Works fine with some peripherals but not others.

    >Here's the link to the Belkin USB bracket for anyone whose interested:
    >http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=17894
    >
    >Brad

    This thread inspired me to go for it and I've now successfully
    installed a USB 1.1 bracket onto my 503+ (running Windows 98)
    that I purchased on eBAY for about $5 (S&H included).

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41998&item=3474695845

    It works fine.
    My thanks all who contributed to this discussion.

    -Alex

    A.Boretz, Apr 21, 2004
  8. John Smith

    Kylesb Guest

    Considering someone is selling these for $1 on ebay, looks like the
    typical profit at many places is quite good on this item. I've seen
    these for as much as $12 at retail stores. Good find!

    Oh, and btw, I've had USB working nicely with 2 different brand MVP3
    chipset boards now for years, no conflicts or problems to report as
    yet, but I only use mice and webcam for USB.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Apr 21, 2004