USB ports won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RB, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. RB

    RB Guest

    Hello,
    I have an ASUS P4C800-E mother board with 6 USB ports. All have been working
    for 6 months without problem.

    I recently converted my ADSL modem network from USB interface to network
    cable. I removed the USB 'hot' I think. (not sure).
    Since then all USB ports do not work. Steps taken so far:
    1. Re installed all USB drivers / controllers / hubs etc under device
    manager. (Human Interface Devices does not display)

    2. Went through routine of loading drivers for new hardware. (USB
    printer/scanner/mouse etc)

    3. Finally did a complete clean install of Winows XP Pro.

    4. Computer stil does not recognise USB hardware.

    Any ideas on what the problem is and how it can be fixed?

    Rick

    RB, Aug 18, 2005

  2. RB

    DaveW Guest

    It sounds like when you reomoved the USB lead "hot" you shorted out the USB
    controller on the motherboard. Time for a new motherboard, if that's so.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Aug 19, 2005

  3. RB

    RB Guest

    Thank Dave
    Does not sound good. Pity because everything else works fine on this board.
    Rick

    RB, Aug 19, 2005
  4. RB

    Mike Walsh Guest

    Keep the motherboard. Get a PCI card with USB ports.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    Mike Walsh, Aug 19, 2005
  5. Well at least Rick is the one responsible, not that it's any comfort.

    I recently purchased a Topfield Digital TV PVR (nice unit) and intended to
    burn
    some DVDs of the shows I had recorded. When I plugged it into my Medion
    computer I found that doesn't support USB 2.0 even though on the box that it
    came in it clearly says USB 2.0 X 5.

    When I checked the the FAQs in the service section of Medion's Aussie
    website http://www.medion.com/au/ it became obvious that its a known problem
    and what's more they blame the makers of the peripherals.

    When you visit their Australian website this is bullshit you will read as
    their 'solution' to the problem.

    "Solution: It is possible for incompatibilities to arise under certain
    circumstances, if external USB 2.0 devices (scanner, printer, etc.) are
    connected to the Titanium 8000 Medion PC (System 1100.x). These will concern
    an incompatibility between the SIS chip set used on the motherboard and the
    Genesys chip used in some USB 2.0 devices. The Genesys chip is mainly
    responsible for controlling the data transmission via USB 2.0. This task is
    taken over by the SIS chip on the MD5000 Vers.1.0 motherboard used by us.
    This incompatibility can be removed by means of suitable drivers on the part
    of the providers of scanners and printers (Canon, HP, Epson, etc.).

    There is the possibility of switching the USB mode used from USB 2.0 to USB
    1.1 in the BIOS in the case of our computers, if no updated drivers are
    available. An error-free use of your device with the set efficiency should
    be possible through this."

    What a cop out!
    Looks like I'll have to install a card too Rick!

    Cheers- Graeme

    full of angry pills, Oct 15, 2005