    Are there resources where i can find more information?

    Thanks,

    S.
    darkkael, Mar 14, 2005

  2. Hi,

    Off course there are limitations to the amount of power you can draw
    from a motherboard. First of all there is the limitation of your PSU.
    But if your Power Supply is heavy enough, the system can also freeze
    or go out when the motherboard gets to hot.

    It has a reason that many USB devices have a power supply unit of
    their own, like 3,5'' external hard drives, scanners and such.

    According the USB specifications the USB port should supply max. 500mA
    to every USB device at 5V. This means a device on a USB port can
    consume 2.5 Watts.

    Many computers these days have a 300W or 350W power supply, which is
    often nearly enough to keep the system running. When you connect 6 USB
    devices without a power supply of their own (which is possible these
    days on many motherboards), you draw another 15 Watts from your
    system. So in an extreme case, it is very possible your system will be
    unstable because of that.

    More info on USB specs and design is here:
    http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/

    I don't know how many things you are trying to connect, but also keep
    in mind that one of your USB devices, or the driver that controls it
    can be malfunctioning.

    Regards,

    Emile

    Emile Jackson, Mar 14, 2005

  3. darkkael

    darkkael Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    Most of the devices plugged in to the USB are self powered, i wondered
    if they were drawing some additioanl power from the motherboard
    regardless of this fact.

    I have at most 3 unpowered devices and 7 powered devices.

    I'm setting up some test hardware tomorrow to try to replicate some of
    the problems

    darkkael, Mar 15, 2005