    mean a riser card that fits into the 2x5 header next to COM1 & COM2, not
    a PCI card.
    Please and thank you.

    Paul Cisterino, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Paul Cisterino

    Robert Akins Guest

    Don't worry about trying to get the FIC USB "riser card" as depicted in the
    manual, or wherever I saw that picture. You can use a generic Belkin USB
    case bracket you can get at Fry's or CompUSA for $7-$10. Make sure you pay
    attention to the pinout. Pins 1&6 are Red. There's an extra set of black
    wires, just ignore them (on the plug), it'll work just fine. However, the
    onboard VIA USB controller is not a very good implementation, many people
    have some kind of problem with them. If you do, remove the devices in
    Device Manager and go into BIOS and disable onboard USB, then buy a PCI USB
    card.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Paul Cisterino

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Most problems are with scanners (vague recollection) or other higher
    bandwidth devices. If you use mouse and keyboard and other lower
    bandwidth items with the VIA USB chip, you'll probably be OK. In
    fact, I've used an IBM branded (actually made by someone else, maybe
    xircon?) webcam that was USB on a VIA MVP3 USB port w/o any problems.
    In fact, so far, I've not had a problem with the VIA USB chipset, but
    others have and I concede those problems do exist.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Paul Cisterino

    Roger Hunt Guest

    In article <bhclc8$101pe6$-berlin.de>, Kyle Brant
    <> writes
    >Most problems are with scanners (vague recollection) or other higher
    >bandwidth devices. If you use mouse and keyboard and other lower
    >bandwidth items with the VIA USB chip, you'll probably be OK. In
    >fact, I've used an IBM branded (actually made by someone else, maybe
    >xircon?) webcam that was USB on a VIA MVP3 USB port w/o any problems.
    >In fact, so far, I've not had a problem with the VIA USB chipset, but
    >others have and I concede those problems do exist.

    For a short period of time, quite recently, I was running W98se on my
    503+ and it coped magnificently with an Epson 2400 USB scanner.

    What I would like to do now is fool the Epson software into installing
    onto W95b, and check out 95b's flaky USB support. If it did work, it
    would make life a lot easier here.
    Trouble is I don't yet know where the Epson installation looks for the
    OS version ...
    Any ideas?
    --
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Paul Cisterino

    Kyle Brant Guest

    "Roger Hunt" <> wrote in message
    | In article <bhclc8$101pe6$-berlin.de>, Kyle Brant
    | <> writes
    | >Most problems are with scanners (vague recollection) or other
    higher
    | >bandwidth devices. If you use mouse and keyboard and other lower
    | >bandwidth items with the VIA USB chip, you'll probably be OK. In
    | >fact, I've used an IBM branded (actually made by someone else,
    maybe
    | >xircon?) webcam that was USB on a VIA MVP3 USB port w/o any
    problems.
    | >In fact, so far, I've not had a problem with the VIA USB chipset,
    but
    | >others have and I concede those problems do exist.
    | >
    | For a short period of time, quite recently, I was running W98se on
    my
    | 503+ and it coped magnificently with an Epson 2400 USB scanner.
    |
    | What I would like to do now is fool the Epson software into
    installing
    | onto W95b, and check out 95b's flaky USB support. If it did work, it
    | would make life a lot easier here.
    | Trouble is I don't yet know where the Epson installation looks for
    the
    | OS version ...
    | Any ideas?
    | --
    | Roger Hunt

    It's quite simple, an API software call to the OS reports back the OS
    version. There is no easy way to "fool" the installer. One would
    have to write a program that "hooks" that API call and reports back
    bogus OS version info.
    Kyle Brant, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Paul Cisterino

    Roger Hunt Guest

    In article <bhdmg8$10t56p$-berlin.de>, Kyle Brant
    <> writes
    >| For a short period of time, quite recently, I was running W98se on
    >my
    >| 503+ and it coped magnificently with an Epson 2400 USB scanner.
    >|
    >| What I would like to do now is fool the Epson software into
    >installing
    >| onto W95b, and check out 95b's flaky USB support. If it did work, it
    >| would make life a lot easier here.
    >| Trouble is I don't yet know where the Epson installation looks for
    >the
    >| OS version ...
    >| Any ideas?
    >
    >It's quite simple, an API software call to the OS reports back the OS
    >version. There is no easy way to "fool" the installer. One would
    >have to write a program that "hooks" that API call and reports back
    >bogus OS version info.
    >--

    So it's not looking in the Registry but in a system core file like
    Kernel32.dll? I wonder how much I can tamper with it without upsetting
    other parts of the system .... (or M$, for that matter)
    I'll play about with Dependency Walker and a hex editor, and Resource
    Hacker and see what I can cobble together.
    Very Heath-Robinsonish but I'm nowhere near able to write any prog that
    could hook anything. :)
    --
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Paul Cisterino

    Robert Akins Guest

    Roger, I admire your determination, but I fear that your quest is in vain.
    Microsoft stated that the necessary changes in architecture for W95 to make
    USB operate correctly would not be feasible (at least not in the interest of
    their upgrade treadmill). Some USB devices would work properly under 95B
    but many would not. I think it is probable that Epson tested the scanner
    (or a previous model) with 95B or C and was unable to make it work properly,
    so made Win98 the minimum requirement.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Paul Cisterino

    Roger Hunt Guest

    In article <ZrE_a.387$>, Robert Akins
    <> writes
    >Roger, I admire your determination, but I fear that your quest is in vain.
    >Microsoft stated that the necessary changes in architecture for W95 to make
    >USB operate correctly would not be feasible (at least not in the interest of
    >their upgrade treadmill). Some USB devices would work properly under 95B
    >but many would not. I think it is probable that Epson tested the scanner
    >(or a previous model) with 95B or C and was unable to make it work properly,
    >so made Win98 the minimum requirement.
    >Robert

    You are right, and the bundled Photoshop Elements won't have it.
    I didn't waste too much time on this one! :)
    --
    Roger Hunt
    Roger Hunt, Aug 14, 2003