  1. I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
    to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
    continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?
    Mathias KÅ‘rber, Jan 18, 2012

  2. Mathias KÅ‘rber

    Alan Baker Guest

    In article <>,
    Mathias KÅ’rber <> wrote:

    > I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
    > to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
    > continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

    Not that I've ever heard of, no.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    Alan Baker, Jan 18, 2012

  3. Mathias KÅ‘rber

    David Empson Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Mathias K¼rber <> wrote:
    >
    > > I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
    > > to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
    > > continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

    > Yes, I've done it quite a few times, and it's useful in some situations.
    > It takes a little familiarity with the command line and some careful
    > clicks, but it works great. Try this:
    >
    > 1. Open System Preferences > Sharing.
    > 2. Turn on Remote Management (or Screen Sharing).
    > 3. Set it to allow access for both accounts in question.
    > 4. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
    > 5. Enter this command: ssh -NL 5901:localhost:5900 localhost
    > 6. Do not close the terminal window until you no longer need the screen
    > sharing session. If you do, you'll lose the session.
    > 7. From the Finder menu bar, choose Go > Connect to Server.
    > 8. Enter this Server address: vnc://localhost:5901
    > 9. Click Connect.
    > 10. When you are prompted for a username and password enter the
    > credentials of the user account that you are not using. (see *** below)
    > 11. When you see the Select Display dialog box, do not click Share the
    > display - instead, click Connect to a virtual display (see your desktop
    > and files).

    This will only work if the computer is running Lion.

    In Lion, it is possible to log in to the computer via Screen Sharing as
    a different user from the one who is currently logged in, and get a
    separate login session.

    In Snow Leopard and earlier it is not. If you log in via screen sharing,
    you see the screen of the current user, even if you use someone else's
    credentials.

    Out of curiosity, I tried JR's instructions in Snow Leopard and I ended
    up with an infinitely nested view of Screen Sharing inside Screen
    Sharing. It was very difficult to get back to normal as the user
    interface was not responding (I could log in using ssh from my iPhone
    and kill the ssh process created in step 5 above, which forcefully
    terminated the screen sharing session).

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jan 18, 2012
  4. Mathias KÅ‘rber

    Király Guest

    David Empson <> wrote:
    > This will only work if the computer is running Lion.

    Shoot! I was really excited about trying this. It would have been very
    useful for me.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.
    Király, Jan 19, 2012
  5. Mathias KÅ‘rber

    David Empson Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <jf86af$pdc$>, (Király)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > David Empson <> wrote:
    > > > This will only work if the computer is running Lion.

    > > Shoot! I was really excited about trying this. It would have been very
    > > useful for me.

    > It works quite well in Lion. : )
    >
    > As an alternative, you can just connect from an iOS device with a VC
    > client or another computer with Screen Sharing.

    That also only works in Lion, of course.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jan 20, 2012
  6. In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <1ke659o.1uifqn51x5et9xN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > > It works quite well in Lion. : )
    > > >
    > > > As an alternative, you can just connect from an iOS device with a VC
    > > > client or another computer with Screen Sharing.

    > > That also only works in Lion, of course.

    > Connecting to a Mac with a VNC client only works in Lion?? Since when?

    also != only

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Jan 20, 2012
  7. In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Barry Margolin <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > > Connecting to a Mac with a VNC client only works in Lion?? Since when?

    > > also != only

    > What?

    Oops, I missed the second only.

    Anyway, it's not that VNC only works in Lion, it's that only Lion allows
    you to use it with a DIFFERENT account in VNC than the one logged into
    the regular display. So it doesn't matter whether you're doing it
    locally or from a remove VNC or Screen Sharing client (BTW, Screen
    Sharing *is* VNC).

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Jan 20, 2012
  8. Mathias KÅ‘rber

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Mathias KÅ’rber <> wrote:
    >
    > > I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
    > > to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
    > > continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

    > Yes, I've done it quite a few times, and it's useful in some situations.
    > It takes a little familiarity with the command line and some careful
    > clicks, but it works great. Try this:
    >
    > 1. Open System Preferences > Sharing.
    > 2. Turn on Remote Management (or Screen Sharing).
    > 3. Set it to allow access for both accounts in question.
    > 4. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
    > 5. Enter this command: ssh -NL 5901:localhost:5900 localhost

    I get:

    ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused

    on (5) above. Running latest Lion.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jan 20, 2012
  9. In article <>,
    Tim Streater <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Mathias KÅ’rber <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
    > > > to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
    > > > continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

    > > Yes, I've done it quite a few times, and it's useful in some situations.
    > > It takes a little familiarity with the command line and some careful
    > > clicks, but it works great. Try this:
    > >
    > > 1. Open System Preferences > Sharing.
    > > 2. Turn on Remote Management (or Screen Sharing).
    > > 3. Set it to allow access for both accounts in question.
    > > 4. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
    > > 5. Enter this command: ssh -NL 5901:localhost:5900 localhost

    > I get:
    >
    > ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused
    >
    > on (5) above. Running latest Lion.

    You have to enable Remote Login to allow SSH.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Jan 20, 2012
  10. Mathias KÅ‘rber

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <1ke47yq.12vij141s3gafhN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Out of curiosity, I tried JR's instructions in Snow Leopard and I ended
    > up with an infinitely nested view of Screen Sharing inside Screen
    > Sharing. It was very difficult to get back to normal as the user
    > interface was not responding (I could log in using ssh from my iPhone
    > and kill the ssh process created in step 5 above, which forcefully
    > terminated the screen sharing session).

    Yes, this was pretty funny. That happened in Lion also if you let it use
    your own acct (a panel comes up and you get some choices). Not hard to
    kill, though, in Lion.

    Even when I logged in as another user, while it worked it was painfully
    slow. But I prolly need more memory.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jan 20, 2012
  11. Mathias K?rber <> wrote:

    > I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
    > to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
    > continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

    You can run an application for another user by launching it from a
    Terminal session for that user.

    Use su in Terminal to start a command line session for the other user.
    Highlight the app you want to use in Finder, select Show Package
    Contents in the contextual menu, and navigate to the MacOS folder inside
    the Contents folder inside the package. Drag the executable file (black
    icon with green "exec" in the corner) into the Terminal window. The app
    will launch for the other user.

    You can quit the GUI app in the usual way or by typing Control + C in
    the Terminal window. Control + D exits the shell session for the other
    user. A Terminal window with other-user shell session needs to be kept
    open for each app you wish to run simultaneously in this fashion.
    Neill Massello, Jan 20, 2012
  12. Mathias KÅ‘rber

    David Empson Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <1ke659o.1uifqn51x5et9xN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > > It works quite well in Lion. : )
    > > >
    > > > As an alternative, you can just connect from an iOS device with a VC
    > > > client or another computer with Screen Sharing.

    > > That also only works in Lion, of course.

    > Connecting to a Mac with a VNC client only works in Lion?? Since when?

    I was talking about trying to log in as a different user via VNC on
    pre-Lion systems. That doesn't work because you are not asked for user
    credentials, only the machine VNC password. You then get to see the
    screen of the logged in user.

    (If you use VNC via SSH, you get asked for a username and password, but
    that is only to establish the SSH tunnel.)

    I haven't tried VNC servers other than Apple's built-in one.
    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jan 20, 2012
  13. Mathias KÅ‘rber

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 01-20-2012 14:16, Neill Massello wrote:
    > You can run an application for another user by launching it from a
    > Terminal session for that user.
    >
    > Use su in Terminal to start a command line session for the other user.
    > Highlight the app you want to use in Finder, select Show Package
    > Contents in the contextual menu, and navigate to the MacOS folder inside
    > the Contents folder inside the package. Drag the executable file (black
    > icon with green "exec" in the corner) into the Terminal window. The app
    > will launch for the other user.
    >
    > You can quit the GUI app in the usual way or by typing Control + C in
    > the Terminal window. Control + D exits the shell session for the other
    > user. A Terminal window with other-user shell session needs to be kept
    > open for each app you wish to run simultaneously in this fashion.

    Have you actually done this? I haven't, but when I try to 'open' an app
    from another account, Aqua gives me a permission denied. I would
    expect the same from a direct call to the exec. But, I'm going to try it.

    Nope, doesn't work. 'open' gives the same error (or very similar) on
    Lion as it did in earlier versions:

    iMac:~ userid$ open /Applications/GarageBand.app
    LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file
    /Applications/GarageBand.app.

    The direct invocation you describe gives a different error:
    iMac:~ sysadmin$ /Applications/GarageBand.app/Contents/MacOS/GarageBand
    Jan 20 21:10:48 iMac.local GarageBand[2213] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure:
    Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
    _RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to
    the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.
    2012-01-20 21:10:48.317 GarageBand[2213:1f03] GarageBand: Error (1002)
    creating CGSWindow

    The first error returns a prompt every time. The second hung and
    required ^C or ^Z to get back a prompt with GarageBand and TextEdit.
    With FaceTime, the above errors were followed by unhandled exception and
    two stack dumps.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    Wes Groleau, Jan 21, 2012