    without having to do a clean xp install ? IDE 1 and 2 can take cd drives but
    not 3 or 4.
    Keheikev

    Keheikev, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Keheikev

    f/fgeorge Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:48:52 GMT, "Keheikev"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all ,
    >I have an existing win xp install that I decided I wanted to use ide 3 and 4
    >for my hdd's. I enabled ide/raid in the bios and then I thought I had to
    >install the promise ultra family drivers. Instead I have access to that
    >channel as when I moved my slave hdd to 3 I can save to that drive.
    >
    >Why is this working without having to install the drivers? I want to avoid a
    >tug of war of having my new toshiba dvd burner and my plextor cd-rw as
    >master and slave on ide 2. Can I safely move the disk with the xp os to 3
    >without having to do a clean xp install ? IDE 1 and 2 can take cd drives but
    >not 3 or 4.
    >Keheikev

    Your MB must be different than a million others than, all that I have
    ever seen can take cd drives on any except IDE master on channel 1. In
    fact I have a cd on channel 3 of my setup now! I did have one on
    channels 3 AND 4 but decided I needed the hard drive space more than 2
    cd's.
    The problems with moving a main drive to a different channel than when
    the OS was installed are all related to where the system will look for
    things. In the beginning it will look to that channel for the boot
    device. Later on it will look to that channel for all the software
    links. If you know how you can trick the system into thinking that
    drive C is still drive C thru the Windows system, but I am not sure
    that will work for the booting process because that is BEFORE Windows
    loads.

    f/fgeorge, Jan 31, 2005

  3. Keheikev

    SleeperMan Guest

    Keheikev wrote:
    > Hi all ,
    > I have an existing win xp install that I decided I wanted to use ide
    > 3 and 4 for my hdd's. I enabled ide/raid in the bios and then I
    > thought I had to install the promise ultra family drivers. Instead I
    > have access to that channel as when I moved my slave hdd to 3 I can
    > save to that drive.
    > Why is this working without having to install the drivers? I want to
    > avoid a tug of war of having my new toshiba dvd burner and my plextor
    > cd-rw as master and slave on ide 2. Can I safely move the disk with
    > the xp os to 3 without having to do a clean xp install ? IDE 1 and 2
    > can take cd drives but not 3 or 4.
    > Keheikev

    IDE 3 and 4 can quite hapilly accept CD drives. Just enable IDE/raid (you
    did that) then you have a jumper on mobo to select wither IDE or RAID ...
    select IDE. Then install ultra drivers and go.

    as of comment to fgeorge...
    most SOYO mobos can't allow CD Drives on IDE 3 or 4, but this mobo does. i
    did run two CD drives there, until i switched to RAID.

    MY advice is to move your CD drives to 3 and 4 - both master.
    But, if i remember correct,you can run XP from ide 3, but you must set boot
    order to SCSI instead of IDE or similar...can't remember, but if you'll
    have problems, reply and i'll check out.

    SleeperMan, Feb 1, 2005
  4. Keheikev

    Guest

    The reason your drives are working on IDE 3 or IDE 4 on your
    motherboard is because your running Win XP. Win XP comes with drivers
    for your Promise Raid/IDE controller chip.

    When you moved your slave hard drive to IDE 3 WinXP loaded a driver for
    the Promise controller into your system. So it should be possible for
    you to now move your hard drive with the operating system to the
    Promise controller. Before you try go into the Hardware Manager and
    confirm that the Promise controller is showing, it should be listed in
    there under SCSI and RAID controller and there shouldn't be a yellow
    exclimation mark next to it. If there is a yellow exclimation mark then
    it doesn't have the correct driver installed and will need to be
    updated.

    If it list the controller there without the yellow exclimation mark you
    should be able to move your hard drive to IDE 3 without having to re
    install the operating system. You will be required to change your boot
    order. With the operating system on this controller you will need to
    set your first boot device to SCSI.

    , Feb 1, 2005
  5. Keheikev

    Guest

    Your motherboard must have a Promise controller on it for IDE 3 and 4.
    They can use optical drives on SOME of there controllers.

    Highpoint controllers on the other hand do not support optical drives.
    You may find a drive that will work on one. But Highpoint doesn't
    recommend you connect the device to there controllers and states the
    device doesn't support them.

    , Feb 1, 2005
  6. Keheikev

    Guest

    There is also no need to trick the system into thinking drive C: is
    still drive C: once WinXP has been loaded on a drive and assigned the
    drive letter it will still have that drive letter when moved to a
    different channel. It's the drive thats assigned the drive letter not
    the motherboard. Also you can change the drive letters of any other
    drives, be it hard or optical in WinXP, you could change the drive with
    the operating system as well but then you would have the problems with
    programs as you discribed.

    , Feb 1, 2005
  7. Keheikev

    Keheikev Guest

    Thank you both for your well thought out answers to my questions. According
    to soyo tech support the IDE 3 and 4 on my Promise raid/ide controller is
    indeed only for HDD drives not optical. I checked in device manager under
    scsi/raid controllers ( I didnt know to look there :eek:)) and I saw no
    exclamation point next to the promise controller. So I will change the boot
    order and put my HDD drives on IDE 3 and 4 and the optical drives onto the
    IDE 1 and 2 channels.
    Kevin "keheikev"

    Keheikev, Feb 1, 2005
  8. Keheikev

    SleeperMan Guest

    wrote:
    > Your motherboard must have a Promise controller on it for IDE 3 and 4.
    > They can use optical drives on SOME of there controllers.

    True---later mobo's had Highpoint one...
    and, like i said, it does work...

    SleeperMan, Feb 1, 2005
  9. Keheikev

    Keheikev Guest