Using IDE 3 and 4 K7V Dragon Plus

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Keheikev, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. Keheikev

    Keheikev Guest

    I have been using IDE 3 and 4 with my hard drives and IDE 1 and 2 with my
    optical plextor cd/cdrw and toshiba dvd dual layer writer. I did this to
    have the two opticals (the toshiba is the new drive) on their own ide
    channels. I have been having random system crashes causing memory dumps (?)
    error code had something to do with w2k32.sys file, even though I havent
    much used the burners at all. Has anyone had experience with this
    configuration? Using win xp home 768 MB RAM.
    Should I go to a more conventional set up with the optical drives as slave
    and master on IDE 2 and forget the Promise controller or should I try a
    repair install of the OS on my F partition (1.95 GB free)? I am trying to
    see if this is a board problem or configuration problem as I did replace the
    processor about two months ago. Problems didnt really start until I started
    using the 3 and 4 controllers.
    If you need it I can get the memory dump file if I can find the default
    location.
    Keheikev
     
    Keheikev, Mar 20, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Keheikev

    SleeperMan Guest

    Keheikev wrote:
    > I have been using IDE 3 and 4 with my hard drives and IDE 1 and 2
    > with my optical plextor cd/cdrw and toshiba dvd dual layer writer. I
    > did this to have the two opticals (the toshiba is the new drive) on
    > their own ide channels. I have been having random system crashes
    > causing memory dumps (?) error code had something to do with
    > w2k32.sys file, even though I havent much used the burners at all.
    > Has anyone had experience with this configuration? Using win xp home
    > 768 MB RAM. Should I go to a more conventional set up with the optical
    > drives as
    > slave and master on IDE 2 and forget the Promise controller or should
    > I try a repair install of the OS on my F partition (1.95 GB free)? I
    > am trying to see if this is a board problem or configuration problem
    > as I did replace the processor about two months ago. Problems didnt
    > really start until I started using the 3 and 4 controllers.
    > If you need it I can get the memory dump file if I can find the
    > default location.
    > Keheikev


    i'd say more probably your problem lies in using two RAM modules...remember
    that most (if not all) people (including me) had problems using more than
    one RAM on this board. I'd say first remove one RAM and see.
     
    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Keheikev

    Keheikev Guest

    Okay will give that a try. I had heard that in a couple posts and yes that
    was one of my upgrades when I started this upgrading lately.
    Kevin
    PS are these crashes others are seeing and you random as well not related to
    any particular action?

    "SleeperMan" <> wrote in message
    news:Stl%d.10639$...
    > Keheikev wrote:
    >> I have been using IDE 3 and 4 with my hard drives and IDE 1 and 2
    >> with my optical plextor cd/cdrw and toshiba dvd dual layer writer. I
    >> did this to have the two opticals (the toshiba is the new drive) on
    >> their own ide channels. I have been having random system crashes
    >> causing memory dumps (?) error code had something to do with
    >> w2k32.sys file, even though I havent much used the burners at all.
    >> Has anyone had experience with this configuration? Using win xp home
    >> 768 MB RAM. Should I go to a more conventional set up with the optical
    >> drives as
    >> slave and master on IDE 2 and forget the Promise controller or should
    >> I try a repair install of the OS on my F partition (1.95 GB free)? I
    >> am trying to see if this is a board problem or configuration problem
    >> as I did replace the processor about two months ago. Problems didnt
    >> really start until I started using the 3 and 4 controllers.
    >> If you need it I can get the memory dump file if I can find the
    >> default location.
    >> Keheikev

    >
    > i'd say more probably your problem lies in using two RAM
    > modules...remember that most (if not all) people (including me) had
    > problems using more than one RAM on this board. I'd say first remove one
    > RAM and see.
    >
     
    Keheikev, Mar 21, 2005
    #3
  4. On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:58:42 +0100, "SleeperMan"
    <> wrote:

    >i'd say more probably your problem lies in using two RAM modules...remember
    >that most (if not all) people (including me) had problems using more than
    >one RAM on this board. I'd say first remove one RAM and see.
    >


    I read this several times, but can this problem be reproduced maybe by
    running a RAM test program?

    Mark
     
    Mark Behrends, Mar 21, 2005
    #4
  5. Keheikev

    SleeperMan Guest

    Keheikev wrote:
    > Okay will give that a try. I had heard that in a couple posts and yes
    > that was one of my upgrades when I started this upgrading lately.
    > Kevin
    > PS are these crashes others are seeing and you random as well not
    > related to any particular action?



    This odd behaviour can be just about anything. For instance, my experience:
    Windows run just perfect, while when i burned ANY CDR, (using Nero, and
    other programs) Burn went OK, but file checking resulted in error, also CDR
    was indeed with errors (tested in another PC). When i removed one RAM, all
    was OK.
    Others i'v eread were reporting random crashing or freezing.



    >
    > "SleeperMan" <> wrote in message
    > news:Stl%d.10639$...
    >> Keheikev wrote:
    >>> I have been using IDE 3 and 4 with my hard drives and IDE 1 and 2
    >>> with my optical plextor cd/cdrw and toshiba dvd dual layer writer. I
    >>> did this to have the two opticals (the toshiba is the new drive) on
    >>> their own ide channels. I have been having random system crashes
    >>> causing memory dumps (?) error code had something to do with
    >>> w2k32.sys file, even though I havent much used the burners at all.
    >>> Has anyone had experience with this configuration? Using win xp home
    >>> 768 MB RAM. Should I go to a more conventional set up with the
    >>> optical drives as
    >>> slave and master on IDE 2 and forget the Promise controller or
    >>> should I try a repair install of the OS on my F partition (1.95 GB
    >>> free)? I am trying to see if this is a board problem or
    >>> configuration problem as I did replace the processor about two
    >>> months ago. Problems didnt really start until I started using the 3
    >>> and 4 controllers. If you need it I can get the memory dump file if I
    >>> can find the
    >>> default location.
    >>> Keheikev

    >>
    >> i'd say more probably your problem lies in using two RAM
    >> modules...remember that most (if not all) people (including me) had
    >> problems using more than one RAM on this board. I'd say first remove
    >> one RAM and see.
     
    SleeperMan, Mar 21, 2005
    #5
  6. Keheikev

    SleeperMan Guest

    Mark Behrends wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:58:42 +0100, "SleeperMan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> i'd say more probably your problem lies in using two RAM
    >> modules...remember that most (if not all) people (including me) had
    >> problems using more than one RAM on this board. I'd say first remove
    >> one RAM and see.
    >>

    >
    > I read this several times, but can this problem be reproduced maybe by
    > running a RAM test program?
    >
    > Mark


    Usually you run RAM test in pure DOS, and if you mean did you destroy RAM by
    running this test, NO, absolutely not. This test just writes and reads into
    RAM like windows, it's just it does it many times and into each part of it.
     
    SleeperMan, Mar 21, 2005
    #6
  7. Keheikev

    Keheikev Guest

    Thanks Sleep,
    I have been opening and closing and deleting files in windows explorer etc
    to see if I can get it to crash. Is it posible that this problem arises from
    having non matched RAM on this board? Anyway I am sticking with just one
    stick for the future. You saved me a lot of backing up and rearranging as
    this configuration is really crowded with ribbon cables when you have four
    drives.
    I will keep you posted.
    Kevin Miramon "keheikev"
    "SleeperMan" <> wrote in message
    news:W3D%d.10693$...
    > Mark Behrends wrote:
    >> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:58:42 +0100, "SleeperMan"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> i'd say more probably your problem lies in using two RAM
    >>> modules...remember that most (if not all) people (including me) had
    >>> problems using more than one RAM on this board. I'd say first remove
    >>> one RAM and see.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I read this several times, but can this problem be reproduced maybe by
    >> running a RAM test program?
    >>
    >> Mark

    >
    > Usually you run RAM test in pure DOS, and if you mean did you destroy RAM
    > by running this test, NO, absolutely not. This test just writes and reads
    > into RAM like windows, it's just it does it many times and into each part
    > of it.
    >
     
    Keheikev, Mar 21, 2005
    #7
  8. Keheikev

    SleeperMan Guest

    Keheikev wrote:
    > Thanks Sleep,
    > I have been opening and closing and deleting files in windows
    > explorer etc to see if I can get it to crash. Is it posible that this
    > problem arises from having non matched RAM on this board? Anyway I am
    > sticking with just one stick for the future. You saved me a lot of
    > backing up and rearranging as this configuration is really crowded
    > with ribbon cables when you have four drives.
    > I will keep you posted.
    > Kevin Miramon "keheikev"


    Sometimes people did post that using good (read expensive) matched or
    especially same brand RAM did make good result, but still, i'd go for just
    one stick of RAM...just in case...


    > "SleeperMan" <> wrote in message
    > news:W3D%d.10693$...
    >> Mark Behrends wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:58:42 +0100, "SleeperMan"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> i'd say more probably your problem lies in using two RAM
    >>>> modules...remember that most (if not all) people (including me) had
    >>>> problems using more than one RAM on this board. I'd say first
    >>>> remove one RAM and see.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> I read this several times, but can this problem be reproduced maybe
    >>> by running a RAM test program?
    >>>
    >>> Mark

    >>
    >> Usually you run RAM test in pure DOS, and if you mean did you
    >> destroy RAM by running this test, NO, absolutely not. This test just
    >> writes and reads into RAM like windows, it's just it does it many
    >> times and into each part of it.
     
    SleeperMan, Mar 22, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tom Rogers
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    525
    Frank
    Jul 18, 2003
  2. Werner Schmidt

    SY-K7V DRAGON Plus and 160GB Harddik

    Werner Schmidt, Sep 12, 2003, in forum: Soyo
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    589
    Uplink
    Sep 13, 2003
  3. Billy_Bat

    K7v Dragon Plus and Hibernate

    Billy_Bat, Nov 18, 2003, in forum: Soyo
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    361
    Billy_Bat
    Nov 18, 2003
  4. Brian
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    606
    Brian
    Jan 26, 2004
  5. Keheikev

    Using IDE 3 &4 K7V Dragon Plus

    Keheikev, Jan 31, 2005, in forum: Soyo
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    707
    Keheikev
    Feb 3, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page