    information from the PB to the MB P. Anyone ever do this?

    HO
    , Sep 24, 2011

  2. nospam Guest

    Re: Using iMac (10.6.?) to transfer from PowerBook (10.4.11) to MacBook Pro (10.7.1)

    In article
    <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks for everyone's replies to my last post. As stated there I was
    > having problems transferring files from my old PowerBook to a new
    > MacBook Pro. Turns out the Setup and Migration Assistant on the MB P
    > doesn't work with OS 10.4.11. This got me thinking about a work around
    > to my problem.

    migration will work just fine if you use a firewire cable or migrate
    from an external hard drive clone which can be connected by firewire,
    usb or even thunderbolt.
    nospam, Sep 24, 2011

  3. Guest

    On Sep 24, 1:58 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Thanks for everyone's replies to my last post. As stated there I was
    > > having problems transferring files from my old PowerBook to a new
    > > MacBook Pro. Turns out the Setup and Migration Assistant on the MB P
    > > doesn't work with OS 10.4.11. This got me thinking about a work around
    > > to my problem.

    > migration will work just fine if you use a firewire cable or migrate
    > from an external hard drive clone which can be connected by firewire,
    > usb or even thunderbolt.

    I have a CAT6 ethernet cable that bought the other day when I was
    trying to to go directly from my PB to the MB P. I will try that, as I
    really don't want to buy another cable that I might only use this one
    time.

    HO
    , Sep 24, 2011
  4. nospam Guest

    <> wrote:

    > > > Thanks for everyone's replies to my last post. As stated there I was
    > > > having problems transferring files from my old PowerBook to a new
    > > > MacBook Pro. Turns out the Setup and Migration Assistant on the MB P
    > > > doesn't work with OS 10.4.11. This got me thinking about a work around
    > > > to my problem.

    > > migration will work just fine if you use a firewire cable or migrate
    > > from an external hard drive clone which can be connected by firewire,
    > > usb or even thunderbolt.

    > I have a CAT6 ethernet cable that bought the other day when I was
    > trying to to go directly from my PB to the MB P. I will try that, as I
    > really don't want to buy another cable that I might only use this one
    > time.

    what part of 'firewire cable' was not clear?

    you need to put the old powerbook into firewire target mode to migrate.
    this requires a firewire cable.

    another option is clone the powerbook hard drive to an external hard
    drive using either usb or firewire. once cloned, you can connect the
    external drive to the new macbook pro via usb or firewire (it doesn't
    have to be the same as what you used to make the clone), or even
    thunderbolt if the hard drive enclosure supports that (which it
    probably won't).

    ethernet or wifi will not work, as you found out.
    nospam, Sep 24, 2011
  5. Guest

    On Sep 24, 2:40 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,

    > > > migration will work just fine if you use a firewire cable or migrate
    > > > from an external hard drive clone which can be connected by firewire,
    > > > usb or even thunderbolt.

    > > I have a CAT6 ethernet cable that bought the other day when I was
    > > trying to to go directly from my PB to the MB P. I will try that, as I
    > > really don't want to buy another cable that I might only use this one
    > > time.

    > what part of 'firewire cable' was not clear?
    >
    > you need to put the old powerbook into firewire target mode to migrate.
    > this requires a firewire cable.
    >
    > another option is clone the powerbook hard drive to an external hard
    > drive using either usb or firewire. once cloned, you can connect the
    > external drive to the new macbook pro via usb or firewire (it doesn't
    > have to be the same as what you used to make the clone), or even
    > thunderbolt if the hard drive enclosure supports that (which it
    > probably won't).
    >
    > ethernet or wifi will not work, as you found out.

    I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
    that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
    Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
    the MB P.

    HO
    , Sep 24, 2011
  6. nospam Guest

    <> wrote:

    > I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
    > that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
    > Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
    > the MB P.

    it will work just fine if you use a firewire cable & target disk mode.

    when the powerbook is in target disk mode and connected via firewire,
    the old version of migration assistant does not run and is irrelevant.
    nothing runs. the operating system isn't even booted. target mode is
    done in firmware. the powerbook becomes a big slow hard drive.

    you can also clone the powerbook's hard drive to an external drive and
    migrate from that, and if you don't have the necessary firewire cable,
    you could use usb.

    however, having a firewire cable will prove to be useful later on so
    you might as well get one now.
    nospam, Sep 24, 2011
  7. Guest

    On Sep 24, 4:05 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
    > > that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
    > > Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
    > > the MB P.

    > it will work just fine if you use a firewire cable & target disk mode.
    >
    > when the powerbook is in target disk mode and connected via firewire,
    > the old version of migration assistant does not run and is irrelevant.
    > nothing runs. the operating system isn't even booted. target mode is
    > done in firmware. the powerbook becomes a big slow hard drive.
    >
    > you can also clone the powerbook's hard drive to an external drive and
    > migrate from that, and if you don't have the necessary firewire cable,
    > you could use usb.
    >
    > however, having a firewire cable will prove to be useful later on so
    > you might as well get one now.

    Thanks that was good know. Just saw the right one today at Staples on
    clearance, so I go there shortly to get it. That will save me a step
    in the process.

    HO
    , Sep 25, 2011
  8. Guest

    On Sep 24, 4:05 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
    > > that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
    > > Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
    > > the MB P.

    > it will work just fine if you use a firewire cable & target disk mode.
    >
    > when the powerbook is in target disk mode and connected via firewire,
    > the old version of migration assistant does not run and is irrelevant.
    > nothing runs. the operating system isn't even booted. target mode is
    > done in firmware. the powerbook becomes a big slow hard drive.
    >
    > you can also clone the powerbook's hard drive to an external drive and
    > migrate from that, and if you don't have the necessary firewire cable,
    > you could use usb.
    >
    > however, having a firewire cable will prove to be useful later on so
    > you might as well get one now.

    Thanks again

    Your last message really helped. I was able to transfer everything
    over to the new MB P.

    For starters I created a user adim account, as the first adim account
    has the same name, as one on the old BP. I then turned the 1st account
    into a standard account and I deleted it. After that I was to transfer
    over the user adim account from the BP.

    HO
    , Sep 25, 2011
  9. Re: Using iMac (10.6.?) to transfer from PowerBook (10.4.11) to MacBook Pro (10.7.1)

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On Sep 24, 2:40 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,

    > > > I have a CAT6 ethernet cable that bought the other day when I was
    > > > trying to to go directly from my PB to the MB P. I will try that, as I
    > > > really don't want to buy another cable that I might only use this one
    > > > time.

    > > what part of 'firewire cable' was not clear?
    > >
    > > you need to put the old powerbook into firewire target mode to migrate.
    > > this requires a firewire cable.
    > >
    > > another option is clone the powerbook hard drive to an external hard
    > > drive using either usb or firewire. once cloned, you can connect the
    > > external drive to the new macbook pro via usb or firewire (it doesn't
    > > have to be the same as what you used to make the clone), or even
    > > thunderbolt if the hard drive enclosure supports that (which it
    > > probably won't).
    > >
    > > ethernet or wifi will not work, as you found out.

    > I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
    > that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
    > Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
    > the MB P.
    >
    > HO

    I helped a friend, who I've been helping with Macintosh issues for over
    10 years, buy a new iMac this year. She asked if she should pay Apple
    to do the file transfer and conversion from her old system (a 400Mhz G3)
    to the iMac for $100. The only way I could see to do this was to take
    the drive out of her G3, put it into a FW enclosure, and do a Migration
    with that drive. Since I didn't want to cannibalize any of my FW drives
    and she didn't have any, I told her to pay the $100. She was very happy
    with the results and I didn't have to drive down to her house for 3 days
    to get the conversion done.

    So I see you have several options here:

    (1) Pay the $100 to have Apple do your transfer.
    (2) Pay the $12 for a FW cable to make the Powerbook look like a FW drive
    (3) Get a FW enclosure or borrow one from a friend, put your old drive
    in it, and do the transfer.
    (4) Spend X number of hours pulling files over "by hand" using USB or
    network
    (5) Or live without your old files

    You're trying to do (4). How's that working for you? You'll definitely
    miss something, I guaran-fricken-tee you won't know until weeks or
    months later, maybe after you've sold or recycled the old machine. If
    you do get rid of the old machine, keep the hard drive. You never know.

    You could just suck it up and do (2). It's $12. That's a meal at
    Denny's. Given that you won't pop for the cable, you're going to have
    to go begging amongst your friends for a FW enclosure and the expertise
    to pull the hard drive from the old system. Good luck with that.

    Just how much money is your time worth here? Since this is a Macbook, I
    would doublely consider (1) because I don't want to risk any issues in
    pulling the hard drive out since I've never done that before. May be
    easy, but you never know.

    Just pay the $12 for the cable and copy your files.

    Michael Vilain, Sep 25, 2011