Using projector with Dell Inspiron 1100

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Anony-mouse, Oct 20, 2008.

  1. Anony-mouse

    Anony-mouse Guest

    Hi,

    I trying to help someone who has a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop to get a
    data projector working with it.

    We can plug the projector into the laptop and get it to display on a
    wall / canvas screen, but the image it displays looks very pink and
    quite blurry, as if it is missing one of the colours. Plugging the
    projector into a different laptop give a perfect image (according to
    someone else), so it's seems to be a problem with the Dell Inspiron
    1100 and not the projector.

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to try and fix
    this?

    A Goolge search turns up a suggestion of downloading the Intel 845GL
    update from Dell's website, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing
    to try, and of course definitely don't want to just install "random"
    drivers that end up with a laptop that won't even display on it's own
    LCD screen!

    Thanks

    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

    Anony-mouse, Oct 20, 2008

  2. Anony-mouse

    BigJim Guest

    are you using the dvi or the s=video connector

    BigJim, Oct 20, 2008

  3. Anony-mouse

    Anony-mouse Guest

    In article <gdh3re$51c$>, "BigJim" <> wrote:

    > "Anony-mouse" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I trying to help someone who has a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop to get a
    > > data projector working with it.
    > >
    > > We can plug the projector into the laptop and get it to display on a
    > > wall / canvas screen, but the image it displays looks very pink and
    > > quite blurry, as if it is missing one of the colours. Plugging the
    > > projector into a different laptop give a perfect image (according to
    > > someone else), so it's seems to be a problem with the Dell Inspiron
    > > 1100 and not the projector.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to try and fix
    > > this?
    > >
    > > A Goolge search turns up a suggestion of downloading the Intel 845GL
    > > update from Dell's website, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing
    > > to try, and of course definitely don't want to just install "random"
    > > drivers that end up with a laptop that won't even display on it's own
    > > LCD screen!
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > are you using the dvi or the s=video connector

    Thanks for the reply.

    I don't think it's either of those. It's not the S-video, it's the
    other one that the manual calls "Video Connector" for external
    monitors, which looks like is a standard VGA socket. I think this
    laptop is too old for DVI.

    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

    Anony-mouse, Oct 20, 2008
  4. i believe that you need to have the svideo turned on and connected when you
    first power on the inspiron 1100 in order for the 1100 to recognize that
    there is something attached. then, once booted, you would go into display
    properties, click advance, and turn on the svideo output.
    most projectors use vga for input and that would be easier to control. with
    an external monitor/projector connected to the vga port you can simply
    toggle the fn-f5 (the function key with the picture of a tv monitor on it or
    the initials 'lcd/tv') to toggle between lcd only, lcd+external monitor,
    external monitor only, and repeat...

    Christopher Muto, Oct 20, 2008
  5. Anony-mouse

    Anony-mouse Guest

    In article <gdh8f8$htj$>, "Christopher Muto"
    <> wrote:

    > i believe that you need to have the svideo turned on and connected when you
    > first power on the inspiron 1100 in order for the 1100 to recognize that
    > there is something attached. then, once booted, you would go into display
    > properties, click advance, and turn on the svideo output.
    > most projectors use vga for input and that would be easier to control. with
    > an external monitor/projector connected to the vga port you can simply
    > toggle the fn-f5 (the function key with the picture of a tv monitor on it or
    > the initials 'lcd/tv') to toggle between lcd only, lcd+external monitor,
    > external monitor only, and repeat...

    Thanks. I should have said which port I was using (I forgot there even
    was an S-video one), but that is exactly what we're doing and through
    the projector we get the pink-tinted blurry image. The laptop's own LCD
    screen is fine. :eek:(

    In the pre-installed Dell Help file it only says about either the
    laptop screen or the external display (using the function keys). It
    doesn't say you can have both.

    I also should have said the laptop is running Windows XP.
    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

    Anony-mouse, Oct 20, 2008
  6. i suggest that you look 'down the barrel' (so to speak) of each end of the
    svideo cable. there are tiny pins in there that can get bent or crushed.
    loose a pin and you loose a band of color like you have described. try this
    suspect cable with the 'good' laptop to see if that one now also has the
    same sympton... if it dosen then you know it is the cable and you need a new
    one.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 20, 2008
  7. Anony-mouse

    Anony-mouse Guest

    In article <gdiaht$t3v$>, "Christopher Muto"
    <> wrote:

    > i suggest that you look 'down the barrel' (so to speak) of each end of the
    > svideo cable. there are tiny pins in there that can get bent or crushed.
    > loose a pin and you loose a band of color like you have described. try this
    > suspect cable with the 'good' laptop to see if that one now also has the
    > same sympton... if it dosen then you know it is the cable and you need a new
    > one.

    Thanks, but I already checked this one as one of the first things to
    look at. :eek:)

    It's the VGA port and cable we're using and there are no bent pins
    anywhere. The cable came with the projector, so it's the same one used
    on the laptop that does work.

    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

    Anony-mouse, Oct 20, 2008
  8. plug an regular monitor into the laptops vga port. it could happen, but i
    highly doubt that the vga port in the laptop is bad. sounds more like a bad
    cable or that the cable is simply not pressed in all the way on either the
    laptop or projector end.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 20, 2008
  9. Anony-mouse

    Anony-mouse Guest

    In article <gdisc1$2dl$>, "Christopher Muto"
    <> wrote:

    > plug an regular monitor into the laptops vga port. it could happen, but i
    > highly doubt that the vga port in the laptop is bad. sounds more like a bad
    > cable or that the cable is simply not pressed in all the way on either the
    > laptop or projector end.

    Thanks. That probably is worth trying, although she doesn't have a
    separate monitor, so it would mean lugging my 19" CRT around there.
    :eek:(

    It possibly could be the VGA port on the inside. The Ethernet port,
    which is next to the VGA port (although a little distance away) did
    "suddenly" stop working a little while back, according to her. I
    couldn't get that port working again, so we replaced it with a card
    slot version. But it would be strange since the computer is very rarely
    moved, despite being a laptop.
    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
    "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

    Anony-mouse, Oct 22, 2008
  10. take the laptop to the monitor, not the monitor to the laptop.
    a bad nic port is very rare and makes me think like you that there might be
    something internal going on.. the more common cause of death for a laptop
    integrated nic is it being cracked resulting in it no longer holding the
    network cable snug inside. did this laptop experiance a spill (contact with
    liquid)?

    Christopher Muto, Oct 22, 2008
  11. Anony-mouse

    Anony-mouse Guest

    In article <gdmegb$ih6$>, "Christopher Muto"
    <> wrote:

    > "Anony-mouse" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <gdisc1$2dl$>, "Christopher Muto"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> plug an regular monitor into the laptops vga port. it could happen, but
    > >> i highly doubt that the vga port in the laptop is bad. sounds more like
    > >> a bad cable or that the cable is simply not pressed in all the way on
    > >> either the laptop or projector end.

    > > Thanks. That probably is worth trying, although she doesn't have a
    > > separate monitor, so it would mean lugging my 19" CRT around there.
    > > :eek:(
    > >
    > > It possibly could be the VGA port on the inside. The Ethernet port,
    > > which is next to the VGA port (although a little distance away) did
    > > "suddenly" stop working a little while back, according to her. I
    > > couldn't get that port working again, so we replaced it with a card
    > > slot version. But it would be strange since the computer is very rarely
    > > moved, despite being a laptop.

    > take the laptop to the monitor, not the monitor to the laptop.

    Unfortunately it's not my laptop, so I can't really take it somewhere
    else.

    > a bad nic port is very rare and makes me think like you that there might be
    > something internal going on.. the more common cause of death for a laptop
    > integrated nic is it being cracked resulting in it no longer holding the
    > network cable snug inside. did this laptop experiance a spill (contact with
    > liquid)?

    Not that I know of, but I dobut it. The owner is VERY careful and
    rarely even moves the laptop off the desk in her small study. It did
    have something fall on it which dented one of the keys on the keyboard,
    but that was a couple of years ago and the Ethernet port problem was
    only a few weeks ago.

    For the Ethernet port I did try other cables and modems, so it is
    definitely the laptop itself that is misbehaving. The "troubleshooting"
    says the port is working fins (for what that is worth), so it could be
    that it isn't holding the cable tightly, but it seemed to be fine. I've
    had MUCH looser Ethernet connection into wall sockets that still worked
    properly.
    _
    _/ \___
    Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \