Using the Tablet PC as an input device for my desktop PC

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by fox_jjkisf@trashmail.net, Oct 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
    and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?

    I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
    with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
    PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.

    Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
    software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
    ask, but so far all answers point to no.

    1. Advertising

  2. Why do you want to do this when you can buy external digitizer for a lot
    cheaper, and you don't have to worry about connectivity btw your TabletPC and
    desktopPC?

    What's your scenario?

    "" wrote:

    > Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
    > and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?
    >
    > I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
    > with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
    > PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.
    >
    > Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
    > software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
    > ask, but so far all answers point to no.

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Because I already have a Tablet PC and I don't want to buy a graphics
    tablet when the Tablet PC has a perfectly good digitizer built right
    into it.

    My scenario is that I've got a really powerful desktop machine that
    lacks a graphics tablet, and a Tablet PC that lacks RAM and a powerful
    CPU. I have a 3D modeling package that makes use of pen input devices
    and their pressure-sensitivity, but is too cpu and ram-intensive to run
    on the Tablet. So I want to run the 3D package on the desktop, and use
    the Tablet for input.

    Weerapan Wilairat - MSFT wrote:
    > Why do you want to do this when you can buy external digitizer for a lot
    > cheaper, and you don't have to worry about connectivity btw your TabletPC and
    > desktopPC?
    >
    > What's your scenario?
    >

    > "" wrote:
    >
    > > Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
    > > and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?
    > >
    > > I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
    > > with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
    > > PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.
    > >
    > > Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
    > > software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
    > > ask, but so far all answers point to no.

  4. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    It isn't possible in your proposed scenario. Sorry. Even remote desktop
    situations are difficult because the remote machine doesn't see anything but
    a "mouse" input. You might note MVP Charlie Russel's column on the Expert
    Zone back in December, 2004
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/expert/russel_04dec02remotedsktp.mspx)
    the work-arounds needs to make a Remote session half-way functional. We've
    harped at Microsoft for years about this issue, and they apparently aren't
    interested in doing everything necessary to allow such actions natively.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    <> wrote in message
    > Because I already have a Tablet PC and I don't want to buy a graphics
    > tablet when the Tablet PC has a perfectly good digitizer built right
    > into it.
    >
    > My scenario is that I've got a really powerful desktop machine that
    > lacks a graphics tablet, and a Tablet PC that lacks RAM and a powerful
    > CPU. I have a 3D modeling package that makes use of pen input devices
    > and their pressure-sensitivity, but is too cpu and ram-intensive to run
    > on the Tablet. So I want to run the 3D package on the desktop, and use
    > the Tablet for input.
    >
    > Weerapan Wilairat - MSFT wrote:
    >> Why do you want to do this when you can buy external digitizer for a lot
    >> cheaper, and you don't have to worry about connectivity btw your TabletPC
    >> and
    >> desktopPC?
    >>
    >> What's your scenario?
    >>

    >> "" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
    >> > and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?
    >> >
    >> > I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
    >> > with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
    >> > PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.
    >> >
    >> > Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
    >> > software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
    >> > ask, but so far all answers point to no.

  5. Check out ShareKMC from Loren Heiny on www.tabletpcpost.com

    However, there's no way that you can get the high sample rate of the
    digitizer from the Tablet PC to the desktop. It won't work well for inking
    on the desktop or for graphics work... just basic mouse control.

    --
    Josh Einstein / Tablet PC MVP
    Einstein Technologies, LLC

    <> wrote in message
    > Because I already have a Tablet PC and I don't want to buy a graphics
    > tablet when the Tablet PC has a perfectly good digitizer built right
    > into it.
    >
    > My scenario is that I've got a really powerful desktop machine that
    > lacks a graphics tablet, and a Tablet PC that lacks RAM and a powerful
    > CPU. I have a 3D modeling package that makes use of pen input devices
    > and their pressure-sensitivity, but is too cpu and ram-intensive to run
    > on the Tablet. So I want to run the 3D package on the desktop, and use
    > the Tablet for input.
    >
    > Weerapan Wilairat - MSFT wrote:
    >> Why do you want to do this when you can buy external digitizer for a lot
    >> cheaper, and you don't have to worry about connectivity btw your TabletPC
    >> and
    >> desktopPC?
    >>
    >> What's your scenario?
    >>

    >> "" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
    >> > and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?
    >> >
    >> > I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
    >> > with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
    >> > PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.
    >> >
    >> > Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
    >> > software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
    >> > ask, but so far all answers point to no.

  6. Josh Einstein <> shared these words of wisdom:

    > Check out ShareKMC from Loren Heiny on www.tabletpcpost.com

    Could not find it, neither with "ShareKMC", nor with the author :-(
    :-(

    Would you have any more details?

    Rainald

  7. http://www.tabletpcpost.com/modules...req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=3&ttitle=ShareKMC

    --

    "Rainald Taesler" <> wrote in message
    > Josh Einstein <> shared these words of wisdom:
    >
    >> Check out ShareKMC from Loren Heiny on www.tabletpcpost.com

    > Could not find it, neither with "ShareKMC", nor with the author :-( :-(
    >
    > Would you have any more details?
    >
    > Rainald

  8. ERK

    ERK Guest

    Just curious,
    What TabletPC are you using?
    I have Toshiba M205-S810, nVIDIA G-Force 5200 and 1.5Gig of RAM and running
    Inventor 8. Have also run SW 2004.
    Unless the assembly is huge, thousands of parts then the video slows down a
    bit, but I like the TabletPC for note taking while I am doing 3D.

  9. Guest

    I have an Acer Travelmate C300. It's an old man at this point, and it
    simply can't be used for any kind of useful 3D modeling, unfortunately.
    I don't remember its exact specs, but I know it's got a crappy Intel
    graphics chip and nowhere near a gig of RAM.

    I've looked into ShareKMC (and Synergy, which is better IMO). Both of
    those would be exactly what I'm looking for if only they would transmit
    the pressure information from the pen.

    Sigh. Maybe it's time to give up and just hope for a pile of money to
    fall into my lap so I can get myself a Cintiq :). It's just so
    upsetting because the Tablet PC offers much of the functionality of the
    Cintiq, but lacks the ability to connect to a desktop PC as an input
    device. It just doesn't make sense to me to leave out that
    functionality.

    On Oct 15, 9:20 am, "ERK" <> wrote:
    > Just curious,
    > What TabletPC are you using?
    > I have Toshiba M205-S810, nVIDIA G-Force 5200 and 1.5Gig of RAM and running
    > Inventor 8. Have also run SW 2004.
    > Unless the assembly is huge, thousands of parts then the video slows down a
    > bit, but I like the TabletPC for note taking while I am doing 3D.

  10. ERK

    ERK Guest

    I have been looking at the Toshiba Tecra M7. My M205 has only 32MB of video.
    From the Toshiba site:
    "NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 110M with TurboCacheT and 128MB of dedicated graphics
    memory "

    More specs:

    "The Tecra M7 is powered by a 1.83GHz Core Duo T2400 processor and supports
    up to 4GB of DDR2 memory. An 80GB hard drive is included as is a dual-layer
    DVD burner. Graphics duties are handled by an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M with
    TurboCache which powers a 14.1" WXGA+ (1,440x900) display."

    Here is another spec:

    Though nothing is confirmed yet, but according to industry insiders, Toshiba
    is all set to release the Tecra M7 dual core tablet which takes off where
    the Tecra M4 left. This new tablet PC has some impressive set of features
    and looks darn good for its starting price which would be around $1600.
    The elusive Toshiba Tecra M7 would boast of a 100GB hard drive, a RAM
    configurable up to 4GB, dual layer Super Multi drive and a 14.1-inch, WXGA+
    display. The M7 would be powered by 1.66GHz or 1.83GHz Core Duo chips and
    would also include the nVidia Quadro NVS 110M graphics chipsets. Told you,
    this baby packs quite a punch. Other features would include a 6-in-1 memory
    card reader, four USB ports, PCMCIA slot, video out, FireWire, WLAN and
    Bluetooth. No word on availability but we will keep you updated.

  11. xTenn

    xTenn Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >I have an Acer Travelmate C300. It's an old man at this point, and it
    > simply can't be used for any kind of useful 3D modeling, unfortunately.
    > I don't remember its exact specs, but I know it's got a crappy Intel
    > graphics chip and nowhere near a gig of RAM.

    If not already, check out Moi3d, Nurb CAD designed for tablets and *might*
    run okay on yours. It is created by the same guy that helped bring Rhino3D
    into being (and I cannot say enough about Rhino...)

    http://www.moi3d.com/