VA-20 Boots only Once then needs CMOS Reset.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Jeffrae, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. Jeffrae

    Jeffrae Guest

    Hello,

    My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error Press
    F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
    looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing.
    So... I reboot the machine nad nothing happened..

    I reset the CMOS via the jumper and the PC boot again with the same
    message.. Well this time I pressed F1 and I recieved a trusty A:> Prompt
    via my Boot Disk. I Decided to reboot the machine.. It would not boot.

    I reset the CMOS again and it boot fine with at error message..
    I unplugged everything from this card.. The only thing on it is a CPU and
    Memory right now.. No HD... No FD...
    I tried different Power Supplies... I tried a different Battery.. No Luck..

    Thanks,
    Jeff P

    Jeffrae, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Jeffrae

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:34:10 -0600, Jeffrae wrote:

    > My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error
    > Press
    > F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
    > looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing. So... I reboot the
    > machine nad nothing happened..

    Did you load system defaults and save them when you were in the bios?

    http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

    Wes Newell, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Jeffrae

    Jeffrae Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:34:10 -0600, Jeffrae wrote:
    >
    > > My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error
    > > Press
    > > F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
    > > looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing. So... I reboot the
    > > machine nad nothing happened..
    > >

    > Did you load system defaults and save them when you were in the bios?
    >
    > --
    > http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

    Yes.....

    Jeffrae, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Jeffrae

    Jeffrae Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:34:10 -0600, Jeffrae wrote:
    >
    > > My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error
    > > Press
    > > F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
    > > looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing. So... I reboot the
    > > machine nad nothing happened..
    > >

    > Did you load system defaults and save them when you were in the bios?
    >
    > --
    > http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

    Yes.. I tried the Failsafe Defaults...

    Thanks,
    Jeff P

    Jeffrae, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Jeffrae

    Jeffrae Guest

    Been on hold for an hour with Abit because of this..
    Don't they answer their phones?

    Thanks,
    Jeff P

    Jeffrae, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Jeffrae

    ERIC SHAIK Guest

    i gotta va20 coming but hope i dont have your poroblems coming with it .

    ERIC SHAIK, Jan 26, 2005
  7. Jeffrae

    Jeffrae Guest

    I resolved it.. IT was due to Memory..

    Do not use Crucial Memory.. Every stick would fail to boot..

    Use Ultra Brand.. Samsung worked too.....

    Thanks,
    Jeff P

    Jeffrae, Jan 26, 2005
  8. Jeffrae

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:32:10 -0600, Jeffrae wrote:

    > I resolved it.. IT was due to Memory..
    >
    > Do not use Crucial Memory.. Every stick would fail to boot..

    More likely it was due to the bios misinterpreting the SPD data from the
    ram and setting wrong default values. You can verify this by booting with
    whatever, manually setting the ram timings and saving bios, and then
    reboot with the Crucial ram. I'd bet it's not actually a ram problem if
    you tried more than one stick.

    http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

    Wes Newell, Jan 26, 2005
  9. Jeffrae

    ERIC SHAIK Guest

    Re: VA-20 ram , but lack of utilities

    I dont knoww if crucial is up there ubt on the abit site they have the types
    9brands9 and speeds
    that they have tested .. theer are plenty of the ddr400 up there .. i got
    some
    mostech or whatever ( its not mushkin) .. and its working ...

    i dont see a lot of utilities that work with this board theough .. no hard
    ware monitors or tweakering programs yet .. mbm5 seems to do something but
    ... is this a really new board that has a lack of support or am i
    configuring something wrong ?

    thanks,
    eric

    ERIC SHAIK, Jan 30, 2005