    any additional info if necessary.

    Thanks,

    Neil

    Neil, May 27, 2005

  2. Any idea which version of the VA-503+ you have? My understanding is
    that the 1.1 version had problems with the K6-2 500 that were corrected
    with the 1.2 version. Something to do with the frequency or power
    requirements of the CPU, if I recall correctly. Also, which version of
    the BIOS do you have? Does the computer boot OK if you set the jumpers
    to a lower speed, like 400 (4 x 100)?

    http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard/cputable.aspx?model_id=19

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, May 28, 2005

  3. Neil

    Kyle Guest

    And another item to consider, is the current memory stick a 72 pin
    pc66 or 168 pin pc100 stick? Jumpers are affected by this issue.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, May 31, 2005
  4. Neil

    Neil Guest

    I have the 1.2A version of the VA-503+. I also have version 115JE37 of
    the BIOS. According to the link from Alex, the K6-2/500 is verified
    only with the JE438 version of the BIOS. Do I need to/Can I upgrade to
    this version of the BIOS?

    I currently have the jumpers at 4x100 and the alarm still comes on and
    the machine does not boot. Is the alarm coming on because of a heat
    problem or a misconfiguration of jumpers?

    Neither the memory nor the memory jumpers have been touched since I've
    tried this CPU.

    Thanks for any additional help,

    Neil

    Neil, Jun 2, 2005
  5. What CPU did you have before? What type of RAM?

    Try running the CPU with a 66 MHz FSB instead of 100 MHz FSB. For
    example, at 4x66 (266 MHz) or 5x66 (333 MHz). If it is a problem with
    your RAM not being able to keep up, this should get around that problem
    for now.

    If your computer can now boot, go ahead and update the BIOS. If it
    still does not boot, put the the old CPU back in, change the jumpers,
    and update the BIOS with that.

    If the old CPU was a Cyrix CPU, there is a Cyrix-only jumper and BIOS
    setting that could be causing the problem. See page 11 of the manual.
    This jumper is labeled "SRAM" on the motherboard. It is located near
    the L2 cache modules on the motherboard. If you are looking at the
    motherboard with the CPU at the botton edge (and a little to the left),
    the cache modules are to the right of the CPU, and the jumper is to the
    right of those. For an AMD CPU, it should be set to 1-2. There is a
    related setting in the BIOS, Chipset Options --> Linear Burst, which
    should be set to Disabled for AMD and Intel CPUs. If you set the SRAM
    jumper to 1-2, this option may not appear.

    As for the RAM... are you using SIMMs or DIMMs? If you are using DIMMs,
    do the modules have any labels, like PC66 or PC100? If you are not
    sure, and you do manage to get the computer to boot, do this. Download
    the CPU-Z utility from http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php . Run it and take
    a look at the SPD tab. SPD is kind of like plug-and-play information on
    memory modules.

    Let me know what you find out.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Neil

    Neil Guest

    I ran the CPU at 5x66 and was able to boot. After upgrading the BIOS, I
    moved back to 100 MHz FSB and the machine is booting and recognizing the
    CPU as a K6-2 500 (exactly what I was trying to accomplish).

    Incidentally, the memory stick is a 64MB PC 100 Dimm.

    Thanks for all the help.

    -Neil

    Neil, Jun 3, 2005
  7. Neil

    occupant Guest

    does K6-2 mobo support => k6-2+ support?

    I have an old EFA mobo with a k6-2/500 that I bought "way back when",
    only to find out later that it did not support a K6-3. I then switched to
    my VA-503+, which is great, but now I am wondering if maybe my old EFA
    might support a K6-2+ cpu.

    Is that a possibility, or does the similarity beiween k6-2 and k6-2+
    end with the names?

    Bill

    occupant, Jun 4, 2005
  8. Neil

    Kyle Guest

    Re: does K6-2 mobo support => k6-2+ support?

    It all depends on the BIOS of the motherboard. I have a couple of old
    MVP3 boards with an Award BIOS that do not recognize the k6+ CPUs, but
    the boards will boot with the "+" CPUs if the multiplier is set to a
    specific setting, seems to me its 2.5x or 3.0x. Then, I use software
    tools I have written (k6speed for windows) to increase the multiplier
    once win2k is up and running. For win9x/me, I have written a special
    purpose config.sys driver that will change the multiplier and turn on
    "write allocation" on bootup.

    The primary obstacle is getting the system to boot with the
    unrecognized CPU. Also, make certain you can setup the Vcore for 2.0
    volts before trying out the "+" CPU.

    Here is where you can d/l the k6speed tools:
    http://www.k6plus.com/modules.php?o...&POSTNUKESID=3f2937718a75b75858379237f13dbbc1
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Jun 4, 2005
  9. Neil

    occupant Guest

    Kyle wrote:
    > It all depends on the BIOS of the motherboard. I have a couple of old
    > MVP3 boards with an Award BIOS that do not recognize the k6+ CPUs, but
    > the boards will boot with the "+" CPUs if the multiplier is set to a
    > specific setting, seems to me its 2.5x or 3.0x. Then, I use software
    > tools I have written (k6speed for windows) to increase the multiplier
    > once win2k is up and running. For win9x/me, I have written a special
    > purpose config.sys driver that will change the multiplier and turn on
    > "write allocation" on bootup.
    >
    > The primary obstacle is getting the system to boot with the
    > unrecognized CPU. Also, make certain you can setup the Vcore for 2.0
    > volts before trying out the "+" CPU.

    Aha. That was it. Now I remember. I just rechecked the doc that came
    with the mobo and it
    only gives jumper settings for 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 2.9, 3.2, and 3.3 volts,
    but if I
    interpolate the missing values I see this:

    volt. DCBA <-- switches
    2.0 0 0 0 0
    2.1 0 0 0 1
    2.2 0 0 1 0 *
    2.3 0 0 1 1
    2.4 0 1 0 0
    2.5 0 1 0 1 *
    2.6 0 1 1 0
    2.7 0 1 1 1
    2.8 1 0 0 0 *
    2.9 1 0 0 1 *
    3.0 1 0 1 0
    3.1 1 0 1 1
    3.2 1 1 0 0 *
    3.3 1 1 0 1 *

    Worth a try?

    > Here is where you can d/l the k6speed tools:
    > http://www.k6plus.com/modules.php?o...&POSTNUKESID=3f2937718a75b75858379237f13dbbc1

    Thanks! That stirs up another question I have ... something about
    some feature of
    my K6-3/400 that is not enabled ... L2 cache? ... hmm, can't recall it
    at the moment ...

    Let me give your tools a try, maybe that will jog my memory.

    Bill

    occupant, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Neil

    "occupant" <> wrote in message
    | Kyle wrote:
    | > It all depends on the BIOS of the motherboard. I have a couple of
    old
    | > MVP3 boards with an Award BIOS that do not recognize the k6+ CPUs,
    but
    | > the boards will boot with the "+" CPUs if the multiplier is set to
    | > specific setting, seems to me its 2.5x or 3.0x. Then, I use
    software
    | > tools I have written (k6speed for windows) to increase the
    multiplier
    | > once win2k is up and running. For win9x/me, I have written a
    special
    | > purpose config.sys driver that will change the multiplier and turn
    on
    | > "write allocation" on bootup.
    | >
    | > The primary obstacle is getting the system to boot with the
    | > unrecognized CPU. Also, make certain you can setup the Vcore for
    2.0
    | > volts before trying out the "+" CPU.
    | >

    | Aha. That was it. Now I remember. I just rechecked the doc that
    came
    | with the mobo and it
    | only gives jumper settings for 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 2.9, 3.2, and 3.3
    volts,
    | but if I
    | interpolate the missing values I see this:
    |
    | volt. DCBA <-- switches
    | 2.0 0 0 0 0
    | 2.1 0 0 0 1
    | 2.2 0 0 1 0 *
    | 2.3 0 0 1 1
    | 2.4 0 1 0 0
    | 2.5 0 1 0 1 *
    | 2.6 0 1 1 0
    | 2.7 0 1 1 1
    | 2.8 1 0 0 0 *
    | 2.9 1 0 0 1 *
    | 3.0 1 0 1 0
    | 3.1 1 0 1 1
    | 3.2 1 1 0 0 *
    | 3.3 1 1 0 1 *
    |
    | Worth a try?

    In my experience, many times to get the 2.0v Vcore one removes all the
    jumpers from the jumper block area that controls Vcore. This was a
    fairly common setup with socket 7 designs. It also appears to
    correspond with your setup and similar switches. Pull the CPU out of
    the socket, find the nearby voltage regulator that produces the Vcore
    and probe the voltage at the regulator while changing jumpers/switches
    and confirm your suspicions. A "+" cpu will run at 2.2v, but will run
    rather warm. The spec on them is up to 2.2v Vcore.

    Looks like switch D adds in 0.8v, switch C adds in 0.4v, switch B adds
    0.2v, and switch A adds 0.1v to the base voltage of 2.0v. This is a
    very typical design. FWIW, I had to setup one of my mobos for 2.1v,
    something odd about the regulator circuit, would not work well setup
    for 2.0v. So if 2.0v won't work, try 2.1v.

    | > Here is where you can d/l the k6speed tools:

    http://www.k6plus.com/modules.php?o...&POSTNUKESID=3f2937718a75b75858379237f13dbbc1

    | Thanks! That stirs up another question I have ... something
    about
    | some feature of
    | my K6-3/400 that is not enabled ... L2 cache? ... hmm, can't recall
    it
    | at the moment ...

    "Write allocation" is the feature that may not be enabled. The
    onboard L2 cache is default enabled with the k6 series CPUs. There
    are many tools to enable write allocation, including my software tools
    linked above.

    | Let me give your tools a try, maybe that will jog my memory.
    |
    | Bill

    Good luck!
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Jun 7, 2005
  11. Neil

    Doug Lynn Guest

    Hi, I found the FIC email telling how to do the mod, it works with K6-2/500
    too. Just set 100FSB, 2.2V core and X5 multiplier with latest bios.

    Doug
    www.lynncomp.com

    Rework instruction for K6(2)-450 & K6(3) CPU with VA-503+
    1 . Change R148 to R149
    2 . Change R149 to R148
    R148 RES 1K hom 5%
    R149 RES 2.32K hom 1%
    3 . Need to updata BIOS Rev . 1.15JE35 on PCB 1.2A or 115JK33 on earlier PCB
    board with
    "JK" serial bios.

    Doug Lynn, Jul 4, 2005
  12. Neil

    mikk Guest

    Re: Re: VA-503+/AMD K6-2 500 problem

    "" wrote:
    > Hi, I found the FIC email telling how to do the mod, it works
    > with K6-2/500
    > too. Just set 100FSB, 2.2V core and X5 multiplier with latest
    > bios.
    >
    > Doug
    > www.lynncomp.com
    >

    > Rework instruction for K6(2)-450 & K6(3) CPU with VA-503+
    > 1 . Change R148 to R149
    > 2 . Change R149 to R148
    > R148 RES 1K hom 5%
    > R149 RES 2.32K hom 1%
    > 3 . Need to updata BIOS Rev . 1.15JE35 on PCB 1.2A or 115JK33
    > on earlier PCB
    > board with
    > "JK" serial bios.
    >
    > "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > >I am attempting to change the processor on my VA-503+ to an

    > AMD K6-2
    > > 500. After downloading the manual from the FIC website, I

    > followed the
    > > instructions and changed the jumpers accordingly. When I

    > turn on the
    > > machine, the alarm goes off immediately. I couldn't find

    > any hints in
    > > the manual as to why this happens. I read examples of

    > people having
    > > success with this processor/mainboard combination. What am

    > I doing
    > > wrong? Any direction you can supply would be appreciated.

    > I can supply
    > > any additional info if necessary.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Neil

    I have this same board and cpu. dont have any trouble with it. have
    fsb set 100 x 5 multiplier.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/FIC-VA-503-AMD-K6-500-problem-ftopict56543.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=302340

    mikk, Aug 5, 2005
  13. mikk,

    Do you have one of the newer versions of the VA-503+? Older versions
    had a flaw in the design that made Doug's mod necessary for higher speed
    K6-x processors. Newer versions fixed the problem.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 5, 2005
  14. Neil

    "" wrote:
    > Hi, I found the FIC email telling how to do the mod, it works
    > with K6-2/500
    > too. Just set 100FSB, 2.2V core and X5 multiplier with latest
    > bios.
    >
    > Doug
    > www.lynncomp.com
    >

    > Rework instruction for K6(2)-450 & K6(3) CPU with VA-503+
    > 1 . Change R148 to R149
    > 2 . Change R149 to R148
    > R148 RES 1K hom 5%
    > R149 RES 2.32K hom 1%
    > 3 . Need to updata BIOS Rev . 1.15JE35 on PCB 1.2A or 115JK33
    > on earlier PCB
    > board with
    > "JK" serial bios.
    >
    > "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > >I am attempting to change the processor on my VA-503+ to an

    > AMD K6-2
    > > 500. After downloading the manual from the FIC website, I

    > followed the
    > > instructions and changed the jumpers accordingly. When I

    > turn on the
    > > machine, the alarm goes off immediately. I couldn't find

    > any hints in
    > > the manual as to why this happens. I read examples of

    > people having
    > > success with this processor/mainboard combination. What am

    > I doing
    > > wrong? Any direction you can supply would be appreciated.

    > I can supply
    > > any additional info if necessary.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Neil

    alex,

    not sure what version motherboard.manual states Rev. :A5, part no.
    :25-10865-25. I use it linked over on lan connection for backing up my
    newer pc and have my printer hooked up there. i had winxp loaded on
    there(now win98) even tho fic says winxp doesnt run on that board- it
    did. pretty good too but kind of slow.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/FIC-VA-503-AMD-K6-500-problem-ftopict56543.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303522

    mikk, Aug 8, 2005