va-503+ JE3333 bios, cannot get IRQ assigned for video

Discussion in 'FIC' started by CURT DODDS, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. CURT DODDS

    CURT DODDS Guest

    I've been running until now with 'assign IRQ for VGA' set to disabled.
    Recently installed an sis305 32mB AGP card and discovered the 3D
    won't work without and IRQ assigned, so I enabled that option in bios.

    I have been trying for the last week with no success:
    have disabled apci in win98se,
    disabled IRQ routing
    re-flashed the bios with all the clear switches (ESCD, CMOS etc)
    tried a standard PCI video card (still no video IRQ)
    reinstalled the via hyperion drivers
    the adjacent PCI slot is empty
    free IRQ's are 3, 5, 7, 9, 10,11
    have booted to linux and dos
    nothing will get me an IRQ for video.

    Help!?
    Curt
     
    CURT DODDS, Oct 8, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. CURT DODDS

    Kyle Brant Guest

    There is a setting named "reset configuration" (or something similar)
    in the PCI/PNP setup menu, this causes the mobo to discard old
    settings for pci/agp devices and acquire new settings. Enable this
    setting and reboot and see what happens. Hope this helps, this is
    just a guess. Also, you might try "init AGP first" so the mobo looks
    to initialize the agp vid card first.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    tired of spam, no email address
    "CURT DODDS" <-asics.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    | I've been running until now with 'assign IRQ for VGA' set to
    disabled.
    | Recently installed an sis305 32mB AGP card and discovered the 3D
    | won't work without and IRQ assigned, so I enabled that option in
    bios.
    |
    | I have been trying for the last week with no success:
    | have disabled apci in win98se,
    | disabled IRQ routing
    | re-flashed the bios with all the clear switches (ESCD, CMOS etc)
    | tried a standard PCI video card (still no video IRQ)
    | reinstalled the via hyperion drivers
    | the adjacent PCI slot is empty
    | free IRQ's are 3, 5, 7, 9, 10,11
    | have booted to linux and dos
    | nothing will get me an IRQ for video.
    |
    | Help!?
    | Curt
    |
     
    Kyle Brant, Oct 9, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. CURT DODDS

    Curt Dodds Guest

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:10:44 -0500, "Kyle Brant" <>
    wrote:

    >There is a setting named "reset configuration" (or something similar)
    >in the PCI/PNP setup menu, this causes the mobo to discard old
    >settings for pci/agp devices and acquire new settings. Enable this
    >setting and reboot and see what happens. Hope this helps, this is
    >just a guess. Also, you might try "init AGP first" so the mobo looks
    >to initialize the agp vid card first.


    I have enabled the 'reset configuration data' dozens of times.
    Also enabled pnp and disabled pnp operating system.
    Tried init AGP first and init PCI first.
    All possible combinations of all of these.
    Nothing I do will get me an IRQ for either the AGP or a PCI
    video card.
    The Bios version is JE4333. (Subject was a typo)
     
    Curt Dodds, Oct 10, 2003
    #3
  4. CURT DODDS

    Job60 Guest

    You are using an ATX power supply ? Aren't you !
    NoJOB@aol.
     
    Job60, Oct 10, 2003
    #4
  5. CURT DODDS

    Curt Dodds Guest

    On 10 Oct 2003 02:51:22 GMT, pamFree (Job60) wrote:

    >You are using an ATX power supply ? Aren't you !
    >NoJOB@aol.


    Why, yes I am !
    Do you have a secret to share?
     
    Curt Dodds, Oct 10, 2003
    #5
  6. CURT DODDS

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Do this: put a blank floppy in the floppy drive, change boot seek to
    a:, c:. Now on reboot, the machine will hang booting from the floppy,
    and you can see the BIOS assignment of IRQs on the monitor. Is the
    vid card getting an IRQ? If so, then the problem is with windows.
    Have you installed the VIA 4-1 miniport IRQ driver?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    tired of spam, no email address
    "Curt Dodds" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:10:44 -0500, "Kyle Brant" <>
    | wrote:
    |
    | >There is a setting named "reset configuration" (or something
    similar)
    | >in the PCI/PNP setup menu, this causes the mobo to discard old
    | >settings for pci/agp devices and acquire new settings. Enable this
    | >setting and reboot and see what happens. Hope this helps, this is
    | >just a guess. Also, you might try "init AGP first" so the mobo
    looks
    | >to initialize the agp vid card first.
    |
    | I have enabled the 'reset configuration data' dozens of times.
    | Also enabled pnp and disabled pnp operating system.
    | Tried init AGP first and init PCI first.
    | All possible combinations of all of these.
    | Nothing I do will get me an IRQ for either the AGP or a PCI
    | video card.
    | The Bios version is JE4333. (Subject was a typo)
     
    Kyle Brant, Oct 10, 2003
    #6
  7. CURT DODDS

    Curt Dodds Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:25:10 -0500, "Kyle Brant" <>
    wrote:

    >Do this: put a blank floppy in the floppy drive, change boot seek to
    >a:, c:. Now on reboot, the machine will hang booting from the floppy,
    >and you can see the BIOS assignment of IRQs on the monitor. Is the
    >vid card getting an IRQ? If so, then the problem is with windows.
    >Have you installed the VIA 4-1 miniport IRQ driver?


    I did boot with a blank floppy. No IRQ assignment is displayed.
    The 'Award Software System Configurations' window is displayed
    showing the processor memory disks and memory banks.
    Then shows Primary Master HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability.....disabled
    and
    Verifying DMI Pool Data ......
    then
    Non-System disk ..etc

    I strongly suspect the bios or motherboard is the problem.
    I have tried various via 4-n-1 drivers from year 2000 to current.
    I also boot to four versions of Linux (Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo,
    Debian) They all show the very same IRQ assignment.

    Thanks for your time & trouble,
    Curt
     
    Curt Dodds, Oct 11, 2003
    #7
  8. CURT DODDS

    Tim Guest

    Curt,

    If no IRQ assignment is displayed at POST under the Award Software
    System Configuration, then you need to enter BIOS SETUP, and under
    section PNP/PCI Configuration, either change "Resources Controlled By"
    or "PNP OS Installed" to the option it is not currently at, I forget
    which of the two is the culprit. Try "Resources Controlled By" first.

    Changing one of the two should reveal the IRQ assignment at POST.

    Regards,

    Tim


    Curt Dodds wrote in message news:<>...

    > I did boot with a blank floppy. No IRQ assignment is displayed.
    > The 'Award Software System Configurations' window is displayed
    > showing the processor memory disks and memory banks.
    > Then shows Primary Master HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability.....disabled
    > and
    > Verifying DMI Pool Data ......
    > then
    > Non-System disk ..etc
    >
    > I strongly suspect the bios or motherboard is the problem.
    > I have tried various via 4-n-1 drivers from year 2000 to current.
    > I also boot to four versions of Linux (Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo,
    > Debian) They all show the very same IRQ assignment.
    >
    > Thanks for your time & trouble,
    > Curt
     
    Tim, Oct 11, 2003
    #8
  9. CURT DODDS

    Curt Dodds Guest

    On 11 Oct 2003 04:35:13 -0700, (Tim) wrote:

    >Curt,
    >
    >If no IRQ assignment is displayed at POST under the Award Software
    >System Configuration, then you need to enter BIOS SETUP, and under
    >section PNP/PCI Configuration, either change "Resources Controlled By"
    >or "PNP OS Installed" to the option it is not currently at, I forget
    >which of the two is the culprit. Try "Resources Controlled By" first.
    >
    >Changing one of the two should reveal the IRQ assignment at POST.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Tim
    >
    >
    >Curt Dodds wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> I did boot with a blank floppy. No IRQ assignment is displayed.
    >> The 'Award Software System Configurations' window is displayed
    >> showing the processor memory disks and memory banks.
    >> Then shows Primary Master HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability.....disabled
    >> and
    >> Verifying DMI Pool Data ......
    >> then
    >> Non-System disk ..etc
    >>
    >> I strongly suspect the bios or motherboard is the problem.
    >> I have tried various via 4-n-1 drivers from year 2000 to current.
    >> I also boot to four versions of Linux (Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo,
    >> Debian) They all show the very same IRQ assignment.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time & trouble,
    >> Curt
     
    Curt Dodds, Oct 12, 2003
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. BudinFL @cfl.rr.com
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    354
    BudinFL @cfl.rr.com
    Jul 28, 2003
  2. Frithiof Andreas Jensen

    Cannot get VGA IRQ to "stay put"

    Frithiof Andreas Jensen, Jan 13, 2004, in forum: FIC
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,108
    Frithiof Andreas Jensen
    Jan 15, 2004
  3. reader
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,012
    reader
    Jul 3, 2004
  4. Brad Clarke

    VA-503+ IRQ sharing

    Brad Clarke, Jan 15, 2005, in forum: FIC
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,017
    Wblane
    Jan 19, 2005
  5. James Watt
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    431
    James Watt
    Jul 21, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page