Va 503, no mouse..losing hair.

Discussion in 'FIC' started by MyGrain, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. MyGrain

    MyGrain Guest

    I was given this system by a friend...he's fixes and upgrade folks
    computers and ends up with lots of leftovers. I like playing with old
    stuff...so such is as follows.

    Sweet midsized AT case, 503+ MB rev 1.2a e-o037. I didn't know what I
    had when he gave it to me..but since I have become obsessed with
    making this thing work.

    Stuck and ATX Power supply in.

    A couple old hard drives I had Linux installed on.
    It had an Intel pentium 233 in it, I replaced it with an AMD k6-2
    500.

    Did all the jumpers as I found info through Google groups and this
    newsgroup.

    Some hiccups untill I put in 256 mb of pc133

    Booted up but sees a k6-2 550.

    Hmm

    Anyway, the biggest gripe I have right now is one I have seen many
    times and hours of perusing this newgroup. No mouse. It could have
    been the reason the original owner disowned it...dunno.

    Alas, I don't have a clue whether the serial cables are the FIC
    orginals.

    So, can I install a serial controller card in this thing?

    Linux install , no mouse

    Win* install hang and no mouse.

    I've seen an inexpensive controller card at Compusa..pci, that looks
    like it's worth a shot.

    So, I ask, anyone think it's worth a shot?

    Or point me, maybe in the right direction, something I have missed?

    I want ths thing to RUN!

    Thanks,

    ...Scott

    MyGrain, Jul 30, 2003

  2. MyGrain

    Robert Akins Guest

    Well, I think you have 2 possibilities short of adding a serial card:
    1) Find someplace where you can get a PS/2 mouse port on a case bracket
    (find the right connector- straight row of 5 or 6 holes with 4 wires, red
    one by itself, a space, then the other 3), plug it in, and use a PS/2 mouse.
    2) Find someone who has a bunch of serial port cables,and will let you keep
    trying them until you find one that works. If neither of these is
    practical, You can get either cable here:
    http://www.baber.com/baber/products/motherboard_cables.htm
    The PS/2 bracket you need is the Type 2; the serial port bracket you need is
    the Intel type. Hopefully even with shipping it would still be cheaper than
    the serial port card (plus it takes up one of your only 3 PCI slots).
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Jul 30, 2003

  3. MyGrain

    MyGrain Guest

    Thank you for the reply, Robert,
    I have seen your wisdom spread through this half acre of usenet.
    We have a place locally here that has lotsa old stuff, so I'll start
    there for the PS/2 port.

    I'm hoping this IS the problem. hehe. I like the gal who cuts my hair,
    she's a cutie. If it ALL falls out, I've no excuse to ...well..

    Thanks again!

    ...Scott

    MyGrain, Jul 30, 2003
  4. MyGrain

    Robert Akins Guest

    It's a common problem, people don't realize the serial cable is different
    and when they are getting rid of the board they don't much care anyway, so
    the next person has to figure it out all over again. There are only 2 or 3
    manufacturers who use this pinout but that still gives you a chance of
    running across one. But finding the PS/2 port would probably be easier.
    Then you could disable both of the serial ports in the BIOS and free up
    their IRQs.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Jul 31, 2003
  5. MyGrain

    Kyle Brant Guest

    And, further to the reason for using the ps/2 mouse port, the sampling rate
    can be altered with some mice software to produce better responsiveness
    (Logitech for example). I think I've seen a freeware utility somewhere to
    alter the ps/2 sample rate also, but don't have a link, sry.

    Kyle Brant, Jul 31, 2003