    to have a non-USB keyboard).

    (2) *Read and Heed* error message about F7 and non-ACPI-compliant BIOS.

    Bill

    no-spam, Jul 12, 2007

  2. no-spam

    Roger Hunt Guest

    no-spam wrote
    >apropos Message-ID: <EXG5a.67878$>
    >
    >Problem: Win2000 install hangs halfway through 'Installing Devices'.
    >
    >(1) Make sure USB support in disabled in BIOS (which means you will need
    >to have a non-USB keyboard).
    >
    >(2) *Read and Heed* error message about F7 and non-ACPI-compliant BIOS.

    I don't want to predict too much, but I wonder if I might expect the
    same or similar behaviour from a PA-2013?
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Jul 12, 2007

  3. no-spam

    no-spam Guest

    Roger Hunt wrote:
    > no-spam wrote
    >> apropos Message-ID: <EXG5a.67878$>
    >>
    >> Problem: Win2000 install hangs halfway through 'Installing Devices'.
    >>
    >> (1) Make sure USB support in disabled in BIOS (which means you will need
    >> to have a non-USB keyboard).
    >>
    >> (2) *Read and Heed* error message about F7 and non-ACPI-compliant BIOS.
    >>

    > I don't want to predict too much, but I wonder if I might expect the
    > same or similar behaviour from a PA-2013?

    Well, there's only only way to find out. ;

    p.s. Apparently, Windows 2000 will not detect or correctly install
    an Apple (ALPS Electric) USB Keyboard unless the VIA US filter patch --
    which as of this date was still available
    -- has been installed.

    p.p.s Is a PA-2013 an AT board or an ATX? How many PCI slots does it
    have? I love my old VA503+ but I *really* need to install a USB 2.0
    adapter and for that I need more than 3 PCI slots.

    Cheers, Bill

    no-spam, Jul 13, 2007
  4. no-spam

    Roger Hunt Guest

    no-spam wrote
    >Roger Hunt wrote:
    >> no-spam wrote
    >>> apropos Message-ID: <EXG5a.67878$>
    >>>
    >>> Problem: Win2000 install hangs halfway through 'Installing Devices'.
    >>>
    >>> (1) Make sure USB support in disabled in BIOS (which means you will need
    >>> to have a non-USB keyboard).
    >>>
    >>> (2) *Read and Heed* error message about F7 and non-ACPI-compliant BIOS.
    >>>

    >> I don't want to predict too much, but I wonder if I might expect the
    >> same or similar behaviour from a PA-2013?

    > Well, there's only only way to find out. ;

    That is true, and I do have a spare copy of W2k ....

    > p.s. Apparently, Windows 2000 will not detect or correctly install
    >an Apple (ALPS Electric) USB Keyboard unless the VIA US filter patch --
    >which as of this date was still available
    >-- has been installed.
    >
    > p.p.s Is a PA-2013 an AT board or an ATX? How many PCI slots does it
    >have? I love my old VA503+ but I *really* need to install a USB 2.0
    >adapter and for that I need more than 3 PCI slots.

    The PA-2013 is really (as far as I can make out) the ATX version of the
    503+, but it does have 4 PCI slots.
    2013 Manuals can be downloaded here :
    http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard/document.aspx?model_id=18
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Jul 13, 2007
  5. no-spam

    Kyle Guest

    Hey Roger:

    Ya want another 2013 system (fully stocked?). Make me an offer. An
    attorney/client friend dropped by and gave me the system since she had
    upgraded her puters a couple of years ago. Has a 4 or 5 gig HD in it
    I think running win98se. She also gave me a 1.2G Tbird system, which
    I think I'll keep unless someone wants to make an offer on that one.
    It works nicely, has an Asus mobo with Magic chipset.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Jul 14, 2007
  6. no-spam

    Roger Hunt Guest

    Kyle wrote
    >Hey Roger:
    >
    >Ya want another 2013 system (fully stocked?). Make me an offer. An
    >attorney/client friend dropped by and gave me the system since she had
    >upgraded her puters a couple of years ago. Has a 4 or 5 gig HD in it
    >I think running win98se. She also gave me a 1.2G Tbird system, which
    >I think I'll keep unless someone wants to make an offer on that one.
    >It works nicely, has an Asus mobo with Magic chipset.

    What a pity I'm in the UK, but thanks for the offer ...

    Really a 2013 is still a saleable item, and I'm pretty sure you could
    sell it on ebay.
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Jul 16, 2007
  7. no-spam

    student Guest

    no-spam wrote:

    > p.s. Apparently, Windows 2000 will not detect or correctly install
    > an Apple (ALPS Electric) USB Keyboard unless the VIA US filter patch --
    > which as of this date was still available
    > -- has been installed.

    Not true. I just now reinstalled Windows 2000 but didn't install
    aforesaid "filter patch". Then, after re-enabling USB in the BIOS, I
    simply reconnected my USB keyboard, rebooted, and presto! -- here I am,
    happily pecking away on it.
    Cheers,
    -- Citizen X

    student, Aug 3, 2007
  8. no-spam

    Nathan Bean Guest

    Kyle wrote:
    > Hey Roger:
    >
    > Ya want another 2013 system (fully stocked?). Make me an offer. An
    > attorney/client friend dropped by and gave me the system since she had
    > upgraded her puters a couple of years ago. Has a 4 or 5 gig HD in it
    > I think running win98se. She also gave me a 1.2G Tbird system, which
    > I think I'll keep unless someone wants to make an offer on that one.
    > It works nicely, has an Asus mobo with Magic chipset.

    what ever did you decide about the 1.2G Tbird system?

    I seemed to 'ave killed my FIC AE31 yesterday... nothing boots... no
    error codes... just get a blank screen on three different monitors...
    --
    .... My Mother Is a Travel Agent for Guilt Trips

    Nathan Bean, Aug 3, 2007
  9. no-spam

    Kyle Guest

    "Nathan Bean" <> wrote in message
    | Kyle wrote:
    | > Hey Roger:
    | >
    | > Ya want another 2013 system (fully stocked?). Make me an offer.
    An
    | > attorney/client friend dropped by and gave me the system since she
    had
    | > upgraded her puters a couple of years ago. Has a 4 or 5 gig HD in
    it
    | > I think running win98se. She also gave me a 1.2G Tbird system,
    which
    | > I think I'll keep unless someone wants to make an offer on that
    one.
    | > It works nicely, has an Asus mobo with Magic chipset.
    |
    | what ever did you decide about the 1.2G Tbird system?
    |
    | I seemed to 'ave killed my FIC AE31 yesterday... nothing boots... no
    | error codes... just get a blank screen on three different
    monitors...
    | --

    Make me an offer.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Aug 7, 2007
  10. no-spam

    Nathan Bean Guest

    Kyle wrote:
    > "Nathan Bean" <> wrote in message
    > | Kyle wrote:
    > | > Hey Roger:
    > | >
    > | > Ya want another 2013 system (fully stocked?). Make me an offer.
    > An
    > | > attorney/client friend dropped by and gave me the system since she
    > had
    > | > upgraded her puters a couple of years ago. Has a 4 or 5 gig HD in
    > it
    > | > I think running win98se. She also gave me a 1.2G Tbird system,
    > which
    > | > I think I'll keep unless someone wants to make an offer on that
    > one.
    > | > It works nicely, has an Asus mobo with Magic chipset.
    > |
    > | what ever did you decide about the 1.2G Tbird system?
    > |
    > | I seemed to 'ave killed my FIC AE31 yesterday... nothing boots... no
    > | error codes... just get a blank screen on three different
    > monitors...
    > | --
    >

    > Make me an offer.

    which asus mobo does it ha
    --
    .... If Barbie is so popular...
    why do you have to buy her friends?

    * TagZilla 0.066 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.orgve?

    Nathan Bean, Aug 7, 2007
  11. no-spam

    Kyle Guest

    Asus a7a266 using ALI m1647 Northbridge, m1535D southbridge chipsets

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    | Kyle wrote:
    | > "Nathan Bean" <> wrote in message

    | > An
    | > had
    HD in
    | > it
    | > which
    | > one.
    | > |

    Kyle, Aug 7, 2007
  12. no-spam

    Nathan Bean Guest

    Kyle wrote:
    > Asus a7a266 using ALI m1647 Northbridge, m1535D southbridge chipsets

    okay... its a seven year old board... where are you located? i'm in
    washington dc

    --
    .... "It's better to brighten up a room when you enter, than to brighten
    a room when you leave."

    Nathan Bean, Aug 8, 2007
  13. no-spam

    | Kyle wrote:
    | > Asus a7a266 using ALI m1647 Northbridge, m1535D southbridge
    chipsets

    | okay... its a seven year old board... where are you located? i'm in
    | washington dc

    Heh, I'm in Indianapolis, so pickup looks to be a long sojourn. I was
    closer last week (we were in Myrtle Beach) but alas, vacation time is
    now over.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Aug 8, 2007
  14. no-spam

    Nathan Bean Guest

    Kyle wrote:
    > "Nathan Bean" <> wrote in message
    > | Kyle wrote:
    > | > Asus a7a266 using ALI m1647 Northbridge, m1535D southbridge
    > chipsets
    > | >

    > | okay... its a seven year old board... where are you located? i'm in
    > | washington dc
    > |

    > Heh, I'm in Indianapolis, so pickup looks to be a long sojourn. I was
    > closer last week (we were in Myrtle Beach) but alas, vacation time is
    > now over.

    hope you enjoyed the beach... we usually go to oak island just north of
    there...

    ahh. sorry you are so far away...

    --
    .... Something to Ponder: How is it that we put man on the moon before we
    figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

    Nathan Bean, Aug 8, 2007
  15. no-spam

    sean bean Guest

    Nathan Bean wrote:
    > Kyle wrote:
    >> "Nathan Bean" <> wrote in message
    >> chipsets
    >> | >

    >> | okay... its a seven year old board... where are you located? i'm in
    >> | washington dc
    >> |

    >> Heh, I'm in Indianapolis, so pickup looks to be a long sojourn. I was
    >> closer last week (we were in Myrtle Beach) but alas, vacation time is
    >> now over.

    > hope you enjoyed the beach... we usually go to oak island just north of
    > there...
    >
    > ahh. sorry you are so far away...

    and then this should have read:

    i want a windows 98 capable motherboard... are you using that computer
    at all?

    nate

    sean bean, Aug 8, 2007
  16. no-spam

    Kyle Guest

    "sean bean" <> wrote in message
    | Nathan Bean wrote:
    | > Kyle wrote:
    | >> "Nathan Bean" <> wrote in message
    | >> chipsets

    | >> |
    i'm in
    | >> |

    | >> Heh, I'm in Indianapolis, so pickup looks to be a long sojourn.
    I was
    | >> closer last week (we were in Myrtle Beach) but alas, vacation
    time is
    | >> now over.
    | >
    | > hope you enjoyed the beach... we usually go to oak island just
    north of
    | > there...
    | >
    | > ahh. sorry you are so far away...
    |
    | and then this should have read:
    |
    | i want a windows 98 capable motherboard... are you using that
    computer
    | at all?
    |
    | nate

    It has win98 on it presently, not using it at all. You get a free
    win98se (I think it's SE) OS with the system.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Aug 9, 2007
  17. no-spam

    Roger Hunt Guest

    Kyle wrote
    >Hey Roger:
    >
    >Ya want another 2013 system (fully stocked?). Make me an offer. An
    >attorney/client friend dropped by and gave me the system since she had
    >upgraded her puters a couple of years ago. Has a 4 or 5 gig HD in it
    >I think running win98se. She also gave me a 1.2G Tbird system, which
    >I think I'll keep unless someone wants to make an offer on that one.
    >It works nicely, has an Asus mobo with Magic chipset.

    Kyle, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I'm in the UK and we are
    several weeks behind.
    It is a pity that the Atlantic Ocean is in the way of easy collection,
    and that I am up to my neck in equipment already, otherwise I'd be very
    tempted, but thanks for the offer.

    The successor to my late lamented 503+ is an Asus a7n8x-x - it has
    served beautifully for not far short of four years, and that I think is
    a pretty good result.
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Aug 9, 2007
  18. no-spam

    Kyle Guest

    "Roger Hunt" <> wrote in message
    | Kyle wrote
    | >Hey Roger:
    | >
    | >Ya want another 2013 system (fully stocked?). Make me an offer.
    An
    | >attorney/client friend dropped by and gave me the system since she
    had
    | >upgraded her puters a couple of years ago. Has a 4 or 5 gig HD in
    it
    | >I think running win98se. She also gave me a 1.2G Tbird system,
    which
    | >I think I'll keep unless someone wants to make an offer on that
    one.
    | >It works nicely, has an Asus mobo with Magic chipset.
    | >
    | Kyle, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I'm in the UK and we are
    | several weeks behind.
    | It is a pity that the Atlantic Ocean is in the way of easy
    collection,
    | and that I am up to my neck in equipment already, otherwise I'd be
    very
    | tempted, but thanks for the offer.
    |
    | The successor to my late lamented 503+ is an Asus a7n8x-x - it has
    | served beautifully for not far short of four years, and that I think
    is
    | a pretty good result.
    | --

    Interesting, since I have 2 A7N8X-DLX 2.0 mobo/systems, both are solid
    as a rock performers. One is my gaming rig, the other is my work rig,
    both are nice systems.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Aug 10, 2007
  19. no-spam

    Roger Hunt Guest

    Kyle wrote

    >| The successor to my late lamented 503+ is an Asus a7n8x-x - it has
    >| served beautifully for not far short of four years, and that I think
    >is
    >| a pretty good result.
    >
    >Interesting, since I have 2 A7N8X-DLX 2.0 mobo/systems, both are solid
    >as a rock performers. One is my gaming rig, the other is my work rig,
    >both are nice systems.

    Another plus point is this here unlocked Barton-core Athlon 2800+,
    purchased at the same time as the m/board, which overclocks willingly,
    but I keep it well below the Max.
    (Overclocking is a frightful consumer of time, but a terrible hard habit
    to shake off.)
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Aug 10, 2007
  20. no-spam

    no-spam Guest

    Kyle wrote:
    > "Roger Hunt" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | The successor to my late lamented 503+ is an Asus a7n8x-x - it has
    > | served beautifully for not far short of four years, and that I think
    > is
    > | a pretty good result.
    > | --
    >

    > Interesting, since I have 2 A7N8X-DLX 2.0 mobo/systems, both are solid
    > as a rock performers. One is my gaming rig, the other is my work rig,
    > both are nice systems.

    Very interesting. I see that quite a few of these boards can be found
    on eBay. Is there a single "best" CPU for the A7N8X-DLX or do you use
    different CPUs in your rigs? Are board versions earlier that 2.0 to be
    avoided?

    -- BillH

    no-spam, Aug 10, 2007