VAIO V505BL (or Notebooks w/ Intel Celeron) Any Good ?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by elvindeath, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. elvindeath

    elvindeath Guest

    I'm shopping around for a thin & light notebook that I can use while
    traveling, and that my wife can use for surfing the web around the
    house. I basically need to be able to run Word, Access, Excel and
    Outlook (and maybe watch a movie or two on the plane).

    Price is a concern, as is size / weight. Best Buy has the VAIO V505BL
    on sale now for $999 after rebate. It's got a Intel Celeron 1.8 Mhz
    processor, 256 MB DDR, DVD/CDRW, 40 gig, Radeon 16 MB video and weighs
    in at 4.4 lbs. It doesn't have wireless 802.11g, but I can always buy
    a wireless card.

    Anyone have any experience they can share with this unit ? How about
    Vaios in General? How about notebooks with Intel Celeron (vs
    Centrino) ?

    I will say, the new Vaio TR series that starts shipping in October
    looks cool ... but costs nearly double. I also am looking at a
    Fujitsu Lifebook S for about $2000 ... but can't seem to find anyone
    who wants to share an opinion about it.

    elvindeath, Sep 27, 2003