VB601 random reboots

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Erik the Bold, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Have VB601(B) ver 1.4 have been experiencing random re-boots, looking for
    suggestions.

    system specs:

    latest bios
    PII-450 not oc'd
    crucial 128 mb PC133 - (2) sticks less than 1yr old
    WIN 98
    nVidia Viper V550 video card
    WD 30gb hd
    Generic CD
    Zip drive
    Floppy
    Conner tape backup
    APC BackUPS 450

    System has been working fine for more than 3 years

    Will reboot sometimes even when checking memory or accessing bios, so
    doesn't appear to be software related

    AidA32 shows system temps
    within acceptable limits;
    mb 25 dec C (77F)
    proc 45 deg C (115F)

    Voltages are:

    CPU 2.00v
    CPU aux 1.49v
    +3.3v 3.33v
    +5.0v 5.03v
    +12.0v 12.03v
    -12.0v -11.46v
    -5.0v -5.00v
    +5.0v standby 7.36v
    battery 3.26v

    I question the CPU aux and +5v standby voltages....what are these for ??

    Sometimes will run for hours, other times will reboot in the middle of a
    reboot.
    My thoughts lean towards a failing PS, but any suggestions ????

    Thanks in advance...........

    Erik the Bold, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Erik,

    I tend to agree with you about the power supply, but it is hard to say for
    sure. That would be my first guess, though. You may also make sure that all
    your components are well seated and nothing is loose. This includes CPU,
    RAM, AGP/PCI/ISA cards, etc.

    +5Vsb is the standby power delivered to the motherboard when the computer is
    "off". Unless you have your computer totally unplugged from the wall, there
    is a little bit of power delievered to the motherboard. This is also used
    when your computer is in "suspend" mode. The value given here is a bit high,
    but I doubt it is causing your problems.

    CPU aux voltage is used by the internal CPU bus (I forget the correct
    techincal term for it). For a Pentium II, the correct value is 1.5V, so you
    are OK here.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Erik the Bold

    Tony R Guest

    Hi,

    You should take a look to all the capacitors near the cpu slot.
    I repaired 5 or 6 of them in the last 2-3 months and the capacitors are probably the culprit.
    Look if they are bulged, rounded or if they leaked on the motherboard.

    The following link will bring you to a guy's website that replace them (bad capacitors):

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

    Look at his website, there are many examples for bad capacitors:

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images

    These images are the best ones for bad capacitors:

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/images/BadCaps2.jpg
    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/images/BadCaps3.jpg
    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/images/BE6II_bad_caps_1.jpg

    Good Luck!!

    Tony

    P.S.: Remove 'xyz' from email address to reply directly.

    Tony R, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Replaced power supply this morning with generic 300w PS from local comp
    store, unit has been running fine for 3+ hours (still crossing my fingers)

    Erik the Bold, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Thanks for the suggestion, however, I am familiar with the capacitor issue
    and that's the first thing I looked at........... replaced PS this morning
    and seems ok so far....................

    Erik the Bold, Oct 31, 2003