    Low-cost computers, which include a hard drive and a monitor, are
    designed for emerging markets.

    Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service
    Wednesday, May 11, 2005

    Via Technologies plans to introduce a range of low-cost computer
    designs aimed at users in emerging markets, a company executive said
    this week.

    The designs are part of a Via project called Terra PC and will be
    unveiled at the Via Technology Forum (VTF), scheduled for the first
    week of June in Taiwan, says Richard Brown, the company's associate
    vice president of marketing. VTF will be held alongside the Computex
    exhibition in Taipei.

    Despite its name, the Terra PC project actually refers to several
    different devices that will be priced between $100 and $250, Brown
    says. The devices are expected to hit markets in India later this
    year, and will be offered by Via in partnership with other companies,
    such as Internet service providers, he says.

    The Terra PC range includes a fully featured PC, priced at $250,
    including a hard drive and a monitor, Brown says. It also comes with a
    flash memory-based Media Station and a $100 Communication Station,
    that uses flash memory and is designed for broadband Internet
    applications, such as VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol), he says.

    System Specs

    All of these devices will be based on processors and chip sets from
    Taipei-based Via, Brown says. The company has not yet decided what
    operating system to use with the devices. "We're still very open.
    We're looking at both Linux and Windows," Brown says.

    In addition to the reference designs, Via is developing a series of
    product bundles consisting of Terra PC clients and a server, targeted
    at specific applications, such as schools or an Internet cafe, Brown
    says. The bundles are being developed as part of an effort to find new
    distribution channels to get the Terra PC devices to users who can
    best take advantage of them. "We want to be as flexible as we can,"
    Brown says.

    Additional details about the Terra PC effort will be announced in
    June.

    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120806,tk,dn051105X,00.asp

    ===
    "Until last October, Christ had a very limited involvement in my life. I believed in God; I just never had to prove I believed. Belief is an absence of proof."
    -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling

    Ablang, May 14, 2005