    for a Vostro 230 (non slim).
    Thanks much.
    bob

    Bob Villa, Mar 9, 2011

  2. On 3/9/2011 6:27 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
    > I'm looking for a "middle-of-the-road" (fairly cheap) maybe 512Mb card
    > for a Vostro 230 (non slim).
    > Thanks much.
    > bob

    the vostro 230 mini-tower (which has a pci-e x16 support full height
    graphic card slot) came with either integrated intel gma x4500, a
    geforce g310 512mb pci-e card (passmark of about 279), or a geforce
    gt220 1gb pci-e card (passmark of about 454). assuming that you have
    the integrated card and are looking for a video performance improment
    without spending a lot of money i would suggest this gt220 512mb card
    for $45 ($65 less a $20 mail in rebate)...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500129
    there are of course many many other options including spending another
    $12 (nearly 30% more) for the same card with 1gb...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500130
    these cards do have a fan so will add some noise to your system and
    there are fanless options available too like this somewhat less powerful
    but solid performing radeon hd4550 for $45...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125250

    Christopher Muto, Mar 9, 2011

  3. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Mar 9, 10:46 am, Christopher Muto <> wrote:
    > On 3/9/2011 6:27 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a "middle-of-the-road" (fairly cheap) maybe 512Mb card
    > > for a Vostro 230 (non slim).
    > > Thanks much.
    > > bob

    > the vostro 230 mini-tower (which has a pci-e x16 support full height
    > graphic card slot) came with either integrated intel gma x4500, a
    > geforce g310 512mb pci-e card (passmark of about 279), or a geforce
    > gt220 1gb pci-e card (passmark of about 454).  assuming that you have
    > the integrated card and are looking for a video performance improment
    > without spending  a lot of money i would suggest this gt220 512mb card
    > for $45 ($65 less a $20 mail in rebate)...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500129
    > there are of course many many other options including spending another
    > $12 (nearly 30% more) for the same card with 1gb...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500130
    > these cards do have a fan so will add some noise to your system and
    > there are fanless options available too like this somewhat less powerful
    > but solid performing radeon hd4550 for $45...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125250

    Thanks much, I will probably opt for your last suggestion.

    Bob Villa, Mar 9, 2011