    buying a 20"+ LCD and I know for best picture quality I'll need a video card
    with DVI connector. Does anyone know of an AGP video card with DVI
    connectors that the Abit BH6 will support? Thanks!

    Arney, Dec 20, 2006

  2. Arney

    Paul Guest

    Arney wrote:
    > I'm trying to squeeze some more lift out of this system. I'm considering
    > buying a 20"+ LCD and I know for best picture quality I'll need a video card
    > with DVI connector. Does anyone know of an AGP video card with DVI
    > connectors that the Abit BH6 will support? Thanks!

    If buying a monitor, it should have a VGA connector for sure. That
    is so you can use it in more situations. Someone here did mention
    purchasing a monitor that had only a DVI connector, and that is
    limiting. If you want to try DVI, get a monitor with both a
    DVI and an AGP connector.

    Same goes for video cards. The video card DVI connector, is generally
    DVI-I (meaning it contains a DVI-D digital part, and also has
    the VGA signals on the same connector). If a card happened to have
    two DVI-I connectors, you'd want the video card package to contain
    at least one DVI-I to VGA conversion dongle. Again, the purpose of
    that, is so your video card has a VGA alternative output, for
    situations where the regular monitor is not present. Buying the
    necessary adapter for the DVI-I later, will cost a lot more than
    it should.

    There are probably a ton of video cards that have both kinds of
    output (DVI and VGA) on them.

    According to this, the BH6 is a 440BX board. The BH6 can run at
    133MHz for the processor. If your processor is one that runs at
    133MHz, it means your AGP card slot runs at 89MHz. Such a speed
    rules out some of the more modern cards. I think the ATI 9800Pro
    was one of the first modern cards, where it could not function
    properly above 75MHz. Older cards have been run at up to 100MHz
    on the AGP slot clock, which means there will be some cards that
    could function with FSB133 and AGP89.

    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=205

    If your processor runs at 100MHz, then the AGP slot runs at
    2/3rd of that or 66MHz. That is the correct frequency.

    If you wanted to avoid all mention of AGP and AGP issues,
    you could buy a FX5200 PCI card. Then, you'd be limited
    by the PCI bus. An AGP card is a little bit less restrictive.

    I have tried an FX5200 AGP card in my 440BX computer (sitting
    next to me). That computer has had two different brands of
    5200 AGP in it, it currently is running with a Geforce3 TI200,
    and it failed to run an ATI 9800Pro (even though my computer
    is 100MHz for the processor and 66Mhz for the AGP slot). So
    I could not recommend the ATI 9800Pro in this case, for whatever
    reason prevented it from working. But there is a good chance
    that an FX5200 AGP would work. And since it has the same
    GPU, likely a FX5500 AGP might work as well. But note, that
    this alternative is most viable if the FSB is 100MHz. If
    the FSB is 133Mhz, that still means there is some risk involved
    in the (AGP) video card choice.

    In terms of more modern cards, there are some AGP cards that
    are bridged (using Rialto or HSI chip, for ATI and Nvidia cards
    respectively). But I'm not sure such cards will even fit
    in the video card slot - they might well be keyed for 1.5V
    only. A 440BX motherboard should be keyed for 3.3V video
    cards, which means a 3.3V video card, or a "universal" video
    card (with two slots cut) would fit. While my 9800Pro has
    two slots cut, something prevents it from otherwise working.
    And, yes, the Aux power cable was connected.

    For more info, see this page. This doesn't contain all the
    latest AGP cards, but because many of the latest ones are
    bridged, I wouldn't want to try them, unless I could return
    the card immediately to the store.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

    You can always google on "BH6 AGP problem" and see what
    other cards are known not to work.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 20, 2006