    if the card is AGP or PCI-e, but need to know which would be the
    best/fastest choice given the limitations of my Mobo. TIA.

    D.

    DMP, Jan 7, 2008

  2. DMP

    Andrew Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 09:42:08 -0500, DMP <>
    wrote:

    >I realize the board can do both PCI-e and AGP but the PCI-e choices are
    >limited, at least that's what I was told.

    Limited by what? I am running a PCI-e 8800GTS just fine.
    --
    Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com

    Andrew, Jan 7, 2008

  3. DMP

    Geoff Guest

    DMP wrote:
    > I have the above motherboard installed in my PC; a family member is in
    > need of a videocard and I have a vanilla 6800(AGP) card presently
    > installed and am thinking of passing this videocard on and getting another.
    >
    > I realize the board can do both PCI-e and AGP but the PCI-e choices are
    > limited, at least that's what I was told.
    >
    > I have WinXP SP2 and 2GBram and I play CRPG's...no FPS.
    >
    > I am not real good at the technicalities involving the choices of
    > videocards that my motherboard can handle. It makes no difference to me
    > if the card is AGP or PCI-e, but need to know which would be the
    > best/fastest choice given the limitations of my Mobo. TIA.
    >
    > D.

    find out the model number of the motherboard and post back
    you want a pci express video card most likley
    i assume your advice about pci express choices being limited is old?

    Geoff, Jan 7, 2008
  4. DMP

    DMP Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > DMP wrote:
    >> I have the above motherboard installed in my PC; a family member is in
    >> need of a videocard and I have a vanilla 6800(AGP) card presently
    >> installed and am thinking of passing this videocard on and getting
    >> another.
    >>
    >> I realize the board can do both PCI-e and AGP but the PCI-e choices
    >> are limited, at least that's what I was told.
    >>
    >> I have WinXP SP2 and 2GBram and I play CRPG's...no FPS.
    >>
    >> I am not real good at the technicalities involving the choices of
    >> videocards that my motherboard can handle. It makes no difference to
    >> me if the card is AGP or PCI-e, but need to know which would be the
    >> best/fastest choice given the limitations of my Mobo. TIA.
    >>
    >> D.

    > find out the model number of the motherboard and post back
    > you want a pci express video card most likley
    > i assume your advice about pci express choices being limited is old?

    Yes, I asked last Aug at a hardware forum, can't remember which and was
    told the best I could do was a 7900GS because "the board only has a 4X
    pci-e slot so you are limted". I know it was the 7900 GS(either
    AGP/PCI-e) because I jotted that number down in my manual for future
    reference. I also jotted down what the person in the forum responded. I
    looked in the manual and the choices are very limited. The best card
    listed was an ASUS Extreme 6800/TD and a couple of ATI cards.

    I could not locate a model number on my documentation, but on the box I
    have a serial#, part# 90-MXG4S0-A0UAYZ and the following
    "4COREDUAL-VSTA/A/ASR". The box also calls the board ASrock DUAL series
    4COREDual-VSTA. When the board was installed, I flashed the BIOS because
    that's what the mfr recommended in the manual. My BIOS version is 1.80.

    I really don't want to have to reflash the BIOS or do any major
    reconfiguration, but just want to replace this board so it can be used
    in a backup PC we are putting together from some parts we have. I would
    like to get a card that will run with some stability with this board and
    perhaps provide an improvement in performance. I've replaced videocards
    before, so the operation is not totally foreign to me.

    I thought I would ask here because of the age of the previous advice,
    and because my knowledge of the technical side of graphics cards is
    limited. Thanks again for your help.

    Diane

    DMP, Jan 7, 2008
  5. DMP

    Geoff Guest

    DMP wrote:
    > Geoff wrote:
    >> DMP wrote:
    >>> I have the above motherboard installed in my PC; a family member is
    >>> in need of a videocard and I have a vanilla 6800(AGP) card presently
    >>> installed and am thinking of passing this videocard on and getting
    >>> another.
    >>>
    >>> I realize the board can do both PCI-e and AGP but the PCI-e choices
    >>> are limited, at least that's what I was told.
    >>>
    >>> I have WinXP SP2 and 2GBram and I play CRPG's...no FPS.
    >>>
    >>> I am not real good at the technicalities involving the choices of
    >>> videocards that my motherboard can handle. It makes no difference to
    >>> me if the card is AGP or PCI-e, but need to know which would be the
    >>> best/fastest choice given the limitations of my Mobo. TIA.
    >>>
    >>> D.

    >> find out the model number of the motherboard and post back
    >> you want a pci express video card most likley
    >> i assume your advice about pci express choices being limited is old?

    > Yes, I asked last Aug at a hardware forum, can't remember which and was
    > told the best I could do was a 7900GS because "the board only has a 4X
    > pci-e slot so you are limted". I know it was the 7900 GS(either
    > AGP/PCI-e) because I jotted that number down in my manual for future
    > reference. I also jotted down what the person in the forum responded. I
    > looked in the manual and the choices are very limited. The best card
    > listed was an ASUS Extreme 6800/TD and a couple of ATI cards.
    >
    > I could not locate a model number on my documentation, but on the box I
    > have a serial#, part# 90-MXG4S0-A0UAYZ and the following
    > "4COREDUAL-VSTA/A/ASR". The box also calls the board ASrock DUAL series
    > 4COREDual-VSTA. When the board was installed, I flashed the BIOS because
    > that's what the mfr recommended in the manual. My BIOS version is 1.80.
    >
    > I really don't want to have to reflash the BIOS or do any major
    > reconfiguration, but just want to replace this board so it can be used
    > in a backup PC we are putting together from some parts we have. I would
    > like to get a card that will run with some stability with this board and
    > perhaps provide an improvement in performance. I've replaced videocards
    > before, so the operation is not totally foreign to me.
    >
    > I thought I would ask here because of the age of the previous advice,
    > and because my knowledge of the technical side of graphics cards is
    > limited. Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > Diane

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4COREDUAL-VSTA

    this it ?
    looks ok to me

    there is a nice 'VGA support list' link on the page for you

    looks like they are trying to go into too much detail with model numbers
    and driver versions though, mainly look at the chipset field

    make sure you buy pci express and not AGP

    Geoff, Jan 7, 2008
  6. DMP

    DMP Guest

    Geoff wrote:

    > http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4COREDUAL-VSTA
    >
    > this it ?
    > looks ok to me
    >
    > there is a nice 'VGA support list' link on the page for you
    >
    > looks like they are trying to go into too much detail with model numbers
    > and driver versions though, mainly look at the chipset field
    >
    > make sure you buy pci express and not AGP

    Yes that is it..I guess the info I got previously was good at the time,
    not now.

    There's a long list of cards there on the VGA support page. What's
    decent in the 7900 series. I didn't want to go into the GeF 8's. Cards
    look huge and I only have a Lian-Li mid-tower vintage 2002 and not much
    room. PSupply only 450W and I don't want to get involved in rebuilding
    the PC just a little boost performance wise. Thanks again.

    D.

    DMP, Jan 7, 2008
  7. On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:16:38 -0500, DMP <>
    wrote:

    >Yes, I asked last Aug at a hardware forum, can't remember which and was
    >told the best I could do was a 7900GS because "the board only has a 4X
    >pci-e slot so you are limted". I know it was the 7900 GS(either
    >AGP/PCI-e) because I jotted that number down in my manual for future
    >reference. I also jotted down what the person in the forum responded. I
    >looked in the manual and the choices are very limited. The best card
    >listed was an ASUS Extreme 6800/TD and a couple of ATI cards.
    >
    >I could not locate a model number on my documentation, but on the box I
    >have a serial#, part# 90-MXG4S0-A0UAYZ and the following
    >"4COREDUAL-VSTA/A/ASR". The box also calls the board ASrock DUAL series
    >4COREDual-VSTA. When the board was installed, I flashed the BIOS because
    >that's what the mfr recommended in the manual. My BIOS version is 1.80.
    >
    >I really don't want to have to reflash the BIOS or do any major
    >reconfiguration, but just want to replace this board so it can be used
    >in a backup PC we are putting together from some parts we have. I would
    >like to get a card that will run with some stability with this board and
    >perhaps provide an improvement in performance. I've replaced videocards
    >before, so the operation is not totally foreign to me.
    >
    >I thought I would ask here because of the age of the previous advice,
    >and because my knowledge of the technical side of graphics cards is
    >limited. Thanks again for your help.
    >
    >Diane

    I don't think your limited on PCI-e cards. The 4COREDual-VSTA
    does have it's PCI-e video bus only running at 4x, but PCI-e graphics
    cards are backwards comparable with different bus speeds. The PCI-e
    2.0 cards should run in it as well. They will just run at 4x instead
    of 16x. I'm not sure if this would have any "real-world" performance
    penalty though.

    Larry Roberts, Jan 7, 2008
  8. DMP

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Diane' wrote:
    | Yes, I asked last Aug at a hardware forum, can't remember which and was
    | told the best I could do was a 7900GS because "the board only has a 4X
    | pci-e slot so you are limted". I know it was the 7900 GS(either
    | AGP/PCI-e) because I jotted that number down in my manual for future
    | reference. I also jotted down what the person in the forum responded. I
    | looked in the manual and the choices are very limited. The best card
    | listed was an ASUS Extreme 6800/TD and a couple of ATI cards.
    |
    | I could not locate a model number on my documentation, but on the box I
    | have a serial#, part# 90-MXG4S0-A0UAYZ and the following
    | "4COREDUAL-VSTA/A/ASR". The box also calls the board ASrock DUAL series
    | 4COREDual-VSTA. When the board was installed, I flashed the BIOS because
    | that's what the mfr recommended in the manual. My BIOS version is 1.80.
    |
    | I really don't want to have to reflash the BIOS or do any major
    | reconfiguration, but just want to replace this board so it can be used
    | in a backup PC we are putting together from some parts we have. I would
    | like to get a card that will run with some stability with this board and
    | perhaps provide an improvement in performance. I've replaced videocards
    | before, so the operation is not totally foreign to me.
    |
    | I thought I would ask here because of the age of the previous advice,
    | and because my knowledge of the technical side of graphics cards is
    | limited. Thanks again for your help.
    _____

    Your 4COREDUAL-VSTA motherboard has an AGP slot AND a PCI-e slot. AGP video
    cards are obsolescent. All of the more powerful cards now are PCI-e. The
    advice you got at the hardware forum is beside the point. For a new video
    card you should choose a PCI-e card. A range of nVidia 8x00 series video
    cards are available from
    ~ $40 US for a GeForce 8400 GS128 MB (perhaps no more powerful than your
    present GeForce 6800)
    to a GeForce 8600 GTS Superclocked 512 MB for ~ $170 US
    to a GeForce 8800 GT 256 MB for ~ $220 US
    and the GeForce GT 512 MB for ~ $250 US
    to versions of the GeForce 8800 GTX for ~ $420 US and up.

    New games, even non first-person-shooter games, benefit greatly from more
    powerful video cards (Civilization 4, for example). But of course the
    first-person-shooter games benefit even more. I'd suggest you consider a
    8600 GTS or a 8800 GT video card.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jan 7, 2008
  9. DMP

    Andrew Guest

    wrote:

    >Yes, I asked last Aug at a hardware forum, can't remember which and was
    >told the best I could do was a 7900GS because "the board only has a 4X
    >pci-e slot so you are limted". I know it was the 7900 GS(either
    >AGP/PCI-e) because I jotted that number down in my manual for future
    >reference. I also jotted down what the person in the forum responded. I
    >looked in the manual and the choices are very limited. The best card
    >listed was an ASUS Extreme 6800/TD and a couple of ATI cards.

    You can still use faster cards, they will just run at 4x which is no
    real loss.

    >I really don't want to have to reflash the BIOS or do any major
    >reconfiguration, but just want to replace this board so it can be used
    >in a backup PC we are putting together from some parts we have. I would
    >like to get a card that will run with some stability with this board and
    >perhaps provide an improvement in performance. I've replaced videocards
    >before, so the operation is not totally foreign to me.

    I can't remember which BIOS I have, but the one it shipped with was
    buggy, cured by a simple Windows based reflash.
    --
    Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com

    Andrew, Jan 7, 2008
  10. DMP

    Dr.White Guest

    "DMP" <> wrote in message
    >I have the above motherboard installed in my PC; a family member is in need
    >of a videocard and I have a vanilla 6800(AGP) card presently installed and
    >am thinking of passing this videocard on and getting another.
    >
    > I realize the board can do both PCI-e and AGP but the PCI-e choices are
    > limited, at least that's what I was told.
    >
    > I have WinXP SP2 and 2GBram and I play CRPG's...no FPS.
    >
    > I am not real good at the technicalities involving the choices of
    > videocards that my motherboard can handle. It makes no difference to me if
    > the card is AGP or PCI-e, but need to know which would be the best/fastest
    > choice given the limitations of my Mobo. TIA.
    >
    > D.

    I have a similar board, and remember the answer to this question lies in the
    strangely thorough product FAQ on the Asrock website. Something to do with a
    setting in a videocard's BIOS telling the card whether it's a GEN1 or a
    GEN2:

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/faq.asp?Model=4CoreDual-VSTA&s=

    And click on the question about using an 8800GT. The PCI-E slot on your
    board is indeed 4x but that in itself is not the limiting factor. So, if you
    don't want to flash any VGA BIOS'es, you can still use, in the PCI-E slot:

    Any Geforce 6xxx or 7xxx series
    Any ATI up to and including the HD 2x00 series
    All geforce 8xxx except 8800 series (Although the original 320-bit 8800GTS
    should work according to Asrock)
    That said, the best card that would work out of the box appears to be the
    original 8800GTS 320 or 640MB.
    Or you can use any card you like, if you take it to another PC and flash the
    VGA card to a GEN1 BIOS.

    Cheers,

    Dr.White.

    Dr.White, Jan 7, 2008
  11. "Phil Weldon" <> wrote:

    >| I thought I would ask here because of the age of the previous advice,
    >| and because my knowledge of the technical side of graphics cards is
    >| limited. Thanks again for your help.
    >_____
    >
    >Your 4COREDUAL-VSTA motherboard has an AGP slot AND a PCI-e slot. AGP video
    >cards are obsolescent. All of the more powerful cards now are PCI-e. The
    >advice you got at the hardware forum is beside the point. For a new video
    >card you should choose a PCI-e card. A range of nVidia 8x00 series video
    >cards are available from
    >~ $40 US for a GeForce 8400 GS128 MB (perhaps no more powerful than your
    >present GeForce 6800)
    >to a GeForce 8600 GTS Superclocked 512 MB for ~ $170 US
    >to a GeForce 8800 GT 256 MB for ~ $220 US
    >and the GeForce GT 512 MB for ~ $250 US
    >to versions of the GeForce 8800 GTX for ~ $420 US and up.
    >
    >New games, even non first-person-shooter games, benefit greatly from more
    >powerful video cards (Civilization 4, for example). But of course the
    >first-person-shooter games benefit even more. I'd suggest you consider a
    >8600 GTS or a 8800 GT video card.

    8800GT do not work on that MB. from FAQ:

    "The NVIDIA® 8800GT PCIE VGA card is GEN2 mode VGA card. Unfortunately
    VIA ® ® ® chipset does not support GEN2 mode VGA card. The only solution
    is to set 8800GT PCIE VGA card to GEN1 mode.
    We have tested 8800GT PCIE VGA card. After flashing GEN1 mode BIOS for
    8800GT, it works fine on VIA ® ® ® chipset motherboard. "

    --
    Matti Wartiainen.

    Matti Wartiainen, Jan 7, 2008