View boot screen

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by bob, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. bob

    bob Guest

    OK here's the deal.
    brand new IP35 Pro board
    core2 quad at 2.4
    4 GB RAM
    9600GT Graphics card ( also tried an older pci gforce)
    when I start, the system the codes on the mainboard read:
    9.0. - which the book says is - "complete uGuru initial process
    AWARDBIOS take over booting job"
    the keyboard num lock seems to light on and off but there is nothing I
    can see on my screen!!!
    I can't get into something I can see. Ah..
    I don't have anymore working CRT's at this location. What I have is a
    Viewsonic VX2245wm (it has dvi and vga inputs)
    I have tried both dvi and the vga (with the adapter for the dvi out on
    the graphics card).
    Is there anyway past this 'nothingness' view on the screen.
    I have waited a few minutes and pressed 'F10' and enter. Hoping that
    would save whatever 'default' info the boot sequence found. and still
    nothing.
    I am getting ready for a hammer
    Any help??
    Thank you in advance.

    bob, Mar 27, 2008

  2. bob

    Paul Guest

    bob wrote:
    > OK here's the deal.
    > brand new IP35 Pro board
    > core2 quad at 2.4
    > 4 GB RAM
    > 9600GT Graphics card ( also tried an older pci gforce)
    > when I start, the system the codes on the mainboard read:
    > 9.0. - which the book says is - "complete uGuru initial process
    > AWARDBIOS take over booting job"
    > the keyboard num lock seems to light on and off but there is nothing I
    > can see on my screen!!!
    > I can't get into something I can see. Ah..
    > I don't have anymore working CRT's at this location. What I have is a
    > Viewsonic VX2245wm (it has dvi and vga inputs)
    > I have tried both dvi and the vga (with the adapter for the dvi out on
    > the graphics card).
    > Is there anyway past this 'nothingness' view on the screen.
    > I have waited a few minutes and pressed 'F10' and enter. Hoping that
    > would save whatever 'default' info the boot sequence found. and still
    > nothing.
    > I am getting ready for a hammer
    > Any help??
    > Thank you in advance.

    http://www.abit.com.tw/faq/code.html

    Code "9.0." according to that chart, says "OC too high" or "BIOS dead".
    It implies the normal POST sequence is not working. Although your
    flashing Numlock implies otherwise.

    Try to simplify your setup. Use just one stick of RAM. It could be
    that your processor is too advanced for the current BIOS code. (More
    problems with Wolfdale/Penryn perhaps.)

    On other motherboards, what you can do, is use the speaker beeps as
    indirect test cases. For example, on a working motherboard, if I
    remove all the RAM, I hear a "missing RAM" beep code. It proves the
    processor has executed some BIOS code, and also was able to beep
    the speaker (which takes some chip programming). A bunch of stuff
    has to work, in order to make the speaker beep.

    On some motherboards, a bad video card, can freeze the BIOS, so
    it won't progress. Removing the video, can do two things. It
    may allow the board to detect "missing video" and also beep the speaker.

    So try a few test cases, where less hardware is connected or installed
    into the board.

    Also, check the basics. Make sure your 2x2 ATX12V is connected, as it
    powers the processor. And that your main power connector is fully
    seated.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 27, 2008