VLC 1.1.12 Intrudes at Startup

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Joe, Aug 6, 2012.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I just noticed that VLC 1.1.12 starts right after a Logout-Login, and
    also after a restart.

    I'm on a PowerPC QuickSilver 867 MHz with OS 10.5.8.

    I also have VLC 2.0.3 installed, which is terribly buggy for my setup,
    but it has some new features, such as a sharpness control, which are
    interesting to play with.

    I have trashed the file
    ~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist

    and I have also trashed the folder
    ~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc

    and I have also trashed the folder
    ~/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc

    and still the VLC 1.1.12 controller appears on the desktop.

    I clicked its play button in order to see if there was a particular
    video that might be causing this, but all that happened was VLC opened
    its open dialog.

    Is there something else I should do/try to exorcise this unwanted
    startup behavior?

    Thanks,

    --- Joe
    20120806 1:54am

    1. Advertising

  2. Joe

    Joe Guest

    In article <>,
    Joe <> wrote:

    > I just noticed that VLC 1.1.12 starts right after a Logout-Login, and
    > also after a restart.
    >
    > I'm on a PowerPC QuickSilver 867 MHz with OS 10.5.8.
    >
    > I also have VLC 2.0.3 installed, which is terribly buggy for my setup,
    > but it has some new features, such as a sharpness control, which are
    > interesting to play with.
    >
    > I have trashed the file
    > ~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist
    >
    > and I have also trashed the folder
    > ~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc
    >
    > and I have also trashed the folder
    > ~/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc
    >
    > and still the VLC 1.1.12 controller appears on the desktop.
    >
    > I clicked its play button in order to see if there was a particular
    > video that might be causing this, but all that happened was VLC opened
    > its open dialog.
    >
    > Is there something else I should do/try to exorcise this unwanted
    > startup behavior?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --- Joe
    > 20120806 1:54am

    I solved the startup problem:

    I have never set any items or apps to open at startup, so I tried to
    find some kind of startup folder. No luck.

    Searching a lengthy OS Leopard pdf for the term "startup", it told me
    about "Login Items". Sure enough, VLC 1.1.12 was listed in there.

    I don't know how or when it got in there, but removing it has exorcised
    this startup beast.

    --- Joe

    1. Advertising

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 8/6/2012 2:44 AM PT, Joe typed:

    > I solved the startup problem:
    >
    > I have never set any items or apps to open at startup, so I tried to
    > find some kind of startup folder. No luck.
    >
    > Searching a lengthy OS Leopard pdf for the term "startup", it told me
    > about "Login Items". Sure enough, VLC 1.1.12 was listed in there.
    >
    > I don't know how or when it got in there, but removing it has exorcised
    > this startup beast.

    I have seen this happen with other programs like Firefox v3.6.x in Mac
    OS X 10.5.8. Annoying! :(
    --
    "To the gods I am an ant, but to the ants, I am a god." --unknown
    | |o o| |