VLC 2.0.0 on a QuickSilver Mac with OS 10.5.8 is Crap

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Joe, Feb 26, 2012.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I downloaded and installed VLC 2.0.0 on a partition where there is no
    other VLC installed.

    The main "feature":

    All of the videos that I have tried to play with it have been rendered
    in various shades of medium to dark blue, and there are vertical red
    lines the entire width of the picture.

    Also, I have tried converting an flv video to a DIV 3 avi video,
    something which won't work on VLC 1.1.12, and the result is a video that
    starts out as various shades of green, and then shows the color properly
    -- that is, when viewed in VLC 1.1.12. On VLC 2.2.0, which created that
    avi conversion, it's the blue with red vertical lines.

    Any help?

    Thanks.

    --- Joe

    Joe, Feb 26, 2012

  2. Joe wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed VLC 2.0.0 on a partition where there is no
    > other VLC installed.
    >
    > The main "feature":
    >
    > All of the videos that I have tried to play with it have been rendered
    > in various shades of medium to dark blue, and there are vertical red
    > lines the entire width of the picture.
    >
    > Also, I have tried converting an flv video to a DIV 3 avi video,
    > something which won't work on VLC 1.1.12, and the result is a video that
    > starts out as various shades of green, and then shows the color properly
    > -- that is, when viewed in VLC 1.1.12. On VLC 2.2.0, which created that
    > avi conversion, it's the blue with red vertical lines.
    >
    > Any help?

    Yes, stay away from VLC 2.0.0 and go back to latest PPC ver. 1.1.16...
    Hope you can read my sarcasm, - but you've done the PPC test for me, so
    I don't have to spoil my PB G4 setup running 10.5.8 with VLC 2.0.0.:-(

    Read the thread "New VLC" from 12.02.19. Here you'll see that you aren't
    the only one who have severe problems with VLC 2.0.0. - As I say in that
    discussion I think that they've bite off more than they can chew... The
    only people I've heard sproadic positive responses from are mostly Lion
    or ML users...

    So directly said, - there is no cure for the problems until now....

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <>
    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
    OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Feb 26, 2012

  3. Joe

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <>,
    Joe <> wrote:

    > Also, I have tried converting an flv video to a DIV 3 avi video,
    > something which won't work on VLC 1.1.12, and the result is a video that
    > starts out as various shades of green, and then shows the color properly
    > -- that is, when viewed in VLC 1.1.12. On VLC 2.2.0, which created that
    > avi conversion, it's the blue with red vertical lines.
    >
    > Any help?

    My new VLC runs just fine on 10.5.8, but I'm using an older Intel Mac
    Pro. It won't launch in full screen mode, but that's a minor glitch, and
    someone else mentioned that the keys assigned to volume control don't
    work; on my machine, the mouse scroll wheel controls the volume properly.

    VLC has a pretty good support system, as I recall. Try asking on one of
    the forums.
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

    Warren Oates, Feb 26, 2012
  4. Joe

    Ant Guest

    On 2/26/2012 4:08 AM PT, Erik Richard Sørensen typed:

    >> I downloaded and installed VLC 2.0.0 on a partition where there is no
    >> other VLC installed.
    >>
    >> The main "feature":
    >>
    >> All of the videos that I have tried to play with it have been rendered
    >> in various shades of medium to dark blue, and there are vertical red
    >> lines the entire width of the picture.
    >>
    >> Also, I have tried converting an flv video to a DIV 3 avi video,
    >> something which won't work on VLC 1.1.12, and the result is a video
    >> that starts out as various shades of green, and then shows the color
    >> properly -- that is, when viewed in VLC 1.1.12. On VLC 2.2.0, which
    >> created that avi conversion, it's the blue with red vertical lines.
    >>
    >> Any help?

    > Yes, stay away from VLC 2.0.0 and go back to latest PPC ver. 1.1.16...
    > Hope you can read my sarcasm, - but you've done the PPC test for me, so
    > I don't have to spoil my PB G4 setup running 10.5.8 with VLC 2.0.0.:-(
    >
    > Read the thread "New VLC" from 12.02.19. Here you'll see that you aren't
    > the only one who have severe problems with VLC 2.0.0. - As I say in that
    > discussion I think that they've bite off more than they can chew... The
    > only people I've heard sproadic positive responses from are mostly Lion
    > or ML users...
    >
    > So directly said, - there is no cure for the problems until now....

    Did you guys mention this problem to VLC in
    http://www.videolan.org/support/ like reporting it in its bug report,
    forums, and mailing list? VLC is pretty fast in its support.
    --
    "Where there is sugar, there are bound to be ants." --Malay Proverb
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Feb 26, 2012
  5. Ant wrote:
    > On 2/26/2012 4:08 AM PT, Erik Richard Sørensen typed:
    >>> I downloaded and installed VLC 2.0.0 on a partition where there is no
    >>> other VLC installed.
    >>>
    >>> The main "feature":
    >>>
    >>> All of the videos that I have tried to play with it have been rendered
    >>> in various shades of medium to dark blue, and there are vertical red
    >>> lines the entire width of the picture.
    >>>
    >>> Also, I have tried converting an flv video to a DIV 3 avi video,
    >>> something which won't work on VLC 1.1.12, and the result is a video
    >>> that starts out as various shades of green, and then shows the color
    >>> properly -- that is, when viewed in VLC 1.1.12. On VLC 2.2.0, which
    >>> created that avi conversion, it's the blue with red vertical lines.
    >>>
    >>> Any help?

    >> Yes, stay away from VLC 2.0.0 and go back to latest PPC ver. 1.1.16...
    >> Hope you can read my sarcasm, - but you've done the PPC test for me, so
    >> I don't have to spoil my PB G4 setup running 10.5.8 with VLC 2.0.0.:-(
    >>
    >> Read the thread "New VLC" from 12.02.19. Here you'll see that you aren't
    >> the only one who have severe problems with VLC 2.0.0. - As I say in that
    >> discussion I think that they've bite off more than they can chew... The
    >> only people I've heard sproadic positive responses from are mostly Lion
    >> or ML users...
    >>
    >> So directly said, - there is no cure for the problems until now....

    > Did you guys mention this problem to VLC in
    > http://www.videolan.org/support/ like reporting it in its bug report,
    > forums, and mailing list? VLC is pretty fast in its support.

    Indeed yes, I've sent more bugreports - mostly one for each bug...

    Cheers, Erik Rihcard

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Feb 26, 2012
  6. Joe

    JF Mezei Guest

    On a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard, VOC seems to run fine in terms of rendering.

    However, it displays in "half size" by default and the various sizes
    (half, normal, double) do not work. But going full screen works.

    I have complaits about the esthetics of it though with the use of
    transparent windows where you see the text from occluded windows behind
    that window.

    JF Mezei, Feb 26, 2012
  7. Joe

    Ant Guest

    On 2/26/2012 8:13 AM PT, Erik Richard Sørensen typed:

    >>> Yes, stay away from VLC 2.0.0 and go back to latest PPC ver. 1.1.16...
    >>> Hope you can read my sarcasm, - but you've done the PPC test for me, so
    >>> I don't have to spoil my PB G4 setup running 10.5.8 with VLC 2.0.0.:-(
    >>>
    >>> Read the thread "New VLC" from 12.02.19. Here you'll see that you aren't
    >>> the only one who have severe problems with VLC 2.0.0. - As I say in that
    >>> discussion I think that they've bite off more than they can chew... The
    >>> only people I've heard sproadic positive responses from are mostly Lion
    >>> or ML users...
    >>>
    >>> So directly said, - there is no cure for the problems until now....

    >> Did you guys mention this problem to VLC in
    >> http://www.videolan.org/support/ like reporting it in its bug report,
    >> forums, and mailing list? VLC is pretty fast in its support.

    > Indeed yes, I've sent more bugreports - mostly one for each bug...

    Good!
    --
    "I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Feb 26, 2012
  8. JF Mezei wrote:
    > On a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard, VOC seems to run fine in terms of rendering.

    That also states most of the positive feedback from here. - It works
    best on SL, Lion and ML.

    > However, it displays in "half size" by default and the various sizes
    > (half, normal, double) do not work. But going full screen works.

    Hmm...Others claim that fullscreen doesn't work on any system...

    > I have complaits about the esthetics of it though with the use of
    > transparent windows where you see the text from occluded windows behind
    > that window.

    You can change this in the prefs by selecting 'All' and find the slider
    to change transparency. - However this function doesn't work on 10.5.8
    on a MacPro. Background here is always solid with no transparency...

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Feb 26, 2012