    thought it'd be cheaper. In fact, I think I've seen people online saying that
    they get 8GB of modern memory for ~$35.

    Why is the memory for my Vostro so expensive still?
    Ed, Mar 23, 2012

  2. Ed

    Ed Guest

    On 3/23/2012 11:56 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
    > Ed wrote:
    >>
    >> Just for the heck of it, I looked around for upgrade memory. I bought this
    >> with 2GB in late 2007.
    >>
    >> http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Vostro Notebooks/Vostro 1500-upgrades.html
    >>
    >> Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
    >>
    >> ...shows that 4GB is about $70. Generic elsewhere was around $50. I would have
    >> thought it'd be cheaper. In fact, I think I've seen people online saying that
    >> they get 8GB of modern memory for ~$35.
    >>
    >> Why is the memory for my Vostro so expensive still?

    > Memory upgrade won't help XP, or anyway not much (not clear on whether some use can't be
    > gotten for up to 4GB in XP Pro or not.) 2gb is where a 32 bit int changes sign, and they
    > seem to have coded for ints that don't do that.
    >
    > 4gb is where a 32 bit integer and 32 bit pointer roll over, signed or not.
    >
    > At work we have some laptops running XP (downgrade) with 4gb but I don't observe that
    > they're faster.
    >
    > XP task manager reports you're using about double what you're in fact using, in case
    > you're using that to gauge that you could use more.

    Thanks, I guess I could have added that I have Vista - it was new then.

    My primary problem is that Firefox has gotten to be such a memory hog. I used
    to have 80 or more tabs open when doing research. But now, once I have 30
    open, my memory is over 70% and my HD light is coming on all the time. Plus,
    it starts to really use up the CPU then. HD thrashing can go on steadily for
    minutes and minutes - with Resource Monitor showing pagefile.sys as the
    reason. Closing tabs in FF often results in no memory release.

    Part of the problem, I know, is also bloated webpages.

    I've looked into using Chrome or IE, neither seem to allow for tags on
    bookmarks, as an important problem for me. I don't like Chrome's minimalist
    lack of controls at all. Opera won't even reliably shut itself down - I have
    to often use Task Manager. Maybe I'll look at Safari again - for windows it
    seemed like the orphan stepchild (and would use up CPU just doing nothing
    years ago).

    FF's UI is great, but the inner workings are inferior.
    Ed, Mar 23, 2012

  3. Ed

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Ron Hardin, Mar 23, 2012
  4. Ed

    Nick Guest

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:11:03 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ed
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks, I guess I could have added that I have Vista - it was new then.

    How much memory your OS can handle depends on which version you have.

    See this page in Crucial's Knowledge Base:

    <http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3743>

    Note that if you put 4 GB of RAM in a computer with a 32-bit OS, the OS will
    only see/use 3 to 3.5 GB of the RAM.

    A 64-bit OS can use as much memory as your computer hardware can support.

    --
    Nick <mailto:>
    Nick, Mar 23, 2012
  5. Ed

    Ed Guest

    On 3/23/2012 3:10 PM, Nick wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:11:03 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ed
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, I guess I could have added that I have Vista - it was new then.

    > How much memory your OS can handle depends on which version you have.
    >
    > See this page in Crucial's Knowledge Base:
    >
    > <http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3743>
    >
    > Note that if you put 4 GB of RAM in a computer with a 32-bit OS, the OS will
    > only see/use 3 to 3.5 GB of the RAM.
    >
    > A 64-bit OS can use as much memory as your computer hardware can support.

    yep, when I'd looked up my memory at Crucial I saw that and it reminded me of
    how 32 bit couldn't use memory over a certain limit and why I hadn't ordered
    more back then.

    Still, my main question was about why the price is still so high. Just was
    wondering.
    Ed, Mar 23, 2012
  6. Ed

    BillW50 Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message

    > On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:11:03 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ed
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks, I guess I could have added that I have Vista - it was new
    >>then.

    > How much memory your OS can handle depends on which version you have.
    >
    > See this page in Crucial's Knowledge Base:
    >
    > <http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3743>
    >
    > Note that if you put 4 GB of RAM in a computer with a 32-bit OS, the
    > OS will
    > only see/use 3 to 3.5 GB of the RAM.
    >
    > A 64-bit OS can use as much memory as your computer hardware can
    > support.

    Actually Windows 2000 (all SP) and XP SP0/1 can use more. Later SP of
    Windows was limited to 4GB because some drivers couldn't operate in
    addresses above 4GB. Although some RAMDisks still can use the RAM past
    4GB under all Windows XP/Vista/7 and probably Windows 8 32-bit versions.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows Live Mail 2009
    BillW50, Mar 23, 2012