VP6 and CPU troubles, any help?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by OxygeN, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. OxygeN

    OxygeN Guest

    Hello all!

    I'm about to get crazy with the things happening to me!

    I'll explain:
    I've got my ol' good Pentium-II 600 EB mounted on a QDI MoBo and it
    worked fine.
    Now, I got my hands on an ABIT VP-6 MoBo (the great thing I would like
    to use is the HPT Raid Controller) with a Pentium-III 933 MHz on it.

    OK.
    I stick that stuff into my case and no Windows gets installed: the
    machine freezes on the loading screen (the one with the stripe running
    around the screen).
    OK, I then mount my P-III 600 EB on it but no changes are there.

    Now, can anybody help me to correctly configure BIOS' settings for one
    of my CPUs?
    I really would like to get that P-III 933 working, but if it won't work,
    I'll stick with my P-III 600 EB! Just this MoBo (VP6) I want to use!

    Thank you all!
    OxygeN, Sep 14, 2004

  2. "OxygeN" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I'm about to get crazy with the things happening to me!
    >
    > I'll explain:
    > I've got my ol' good Pentium-II 600 EB mounted on a QDI MoBo and it
    > worked fine.
    > Now, I got my hands on an ABIT VP-6 MoBo (the great thing I would like
    > to use is the HPT Raid Controller) with a Pentium-III 933 MHz on it.
    >
    > OK.
    > I stick that stuff into my case and no Windows gets installed: the
    > machine freezes on the loading screen (the one with the stripe running
    > around the screen).
    > OK, I then mount my P-III 600 EB on it but no changes are there.
    >
    > Now, can anybody help me to correctly configure BIOS' settings for one
    > of my CPUs?
    > I really would like to get that P-III 933 working, but if it won't work,
    > I'll stick with my P-III 600 EB! Just this MoBo (VP6) I want to use!
    >
    > Thank you all!

    The VP6 was one of those boards that suffered from the notorious "bad cap"
    problem. Inspect the taller capacitors on the board for bulging or leaks. If
    ANY caps are swollen or leaking then ALL of the taller ones must be
    replaced.
    Colon Terminus, Sep 16, 2004

  3. OxygeN

    GinTonix Guest

    "Colon Terminus" <> kirjoitti viestissä

    > "OxygeN" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello all!
    > >
    > > I'm about to get crazy with the things happening to me!
    > >
    > > I'll explain:
    > > I've got my ol' good Pentium-II 600 EB mounted on a QDI MoBo and it
    > > worked fine.
    > > Now, I got my hands on an ABIT VP-6 MoBo (the great thing I would like
    > > to use is the HPT Raid Controller) with a Pentium-III 933 MHz on it.
    > >
    > > OK.
    > > I stick that stuff into my case and no Windows gets installed: the
    > > machine freezes on the loading screen (the one with the stripe running
    > > around the screen).
    > > OK, I then mount my P-III 600 EB on it but no changes are there.
    > >
    > > Now, can anybody help me to correctly configure BIOS' settings for one
    > > of my CPUs?
    > > I really would like to get that P-III 933 working, but if it won't work,
    > > I'll stick with my P-III 600 EB! Just this MoBo (VP6) I want to use!
    > >
    > > Thank you all!

    > The VP6 was one of those boards that suffered from the notorious "bad cap"
    > problem. Inspect the taller capacitors on the board for bulging or leaks.

    If
    > ANY caps are swollen or leaking then ALL of the taller ones must be
    > replaced.

    If he has an ethernet card connected Windoze might doze off right where he
    describes it happening, if there is no network connection present. Check it
    out first. A couple of years ago (well, maybe more than a couple) I thought
    I had a dead MoBo in my hands, it stuck at the same spot. I decided to give
    it one more try and it stuck again. I went out for a cigarette to ponder
    what to do next with the pile of scrap. When I came back, Win was happily
    running. I repeated the booting process and found out the machine would just
    hang on to wait for the network to appear posing dead while waiting. It
    continued booting in a few minutes. This is not happening with all
    MoBo-Ethernet card combos and I have not found out any exact rules for it
    taking place or not. The only rule of thumb I have found is that if the
    symptoms are present, then the 1st boot without network present seems to
    take the longest time. The record is something like seven or eight minutes,
    IIRC this was with an old P90.

    --
    gt
    GinTonix, Sep 16, 2004
  4. OxygeN

    OxygeN Guest

    In data Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:22:50 +0300
    "GinTonix" <> scriveva:

    > If he has an ethernet card connected Windoze might doze off right
    > where he describes it happening, if there is no network connection
    > present. Check it

    Well, the NIC has been put in only later, actually I left that "PC" (it
    ain't one, until it's booting *at least* Linux) with Windows trying to
    boot for a whole damn night on! Nothing happened... therefore I guess
    the NIC ain't an issue.

    Thanks anyway!
    OxygeN, Sep 16, 2004
  5. OxygeN

    OxygeN Guest

    In data Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:42:09 GMT
    "Colon Terminus" <> scriveva:

    > The VP6 was one of those boards that suffered from the notorious "bad
    > cap" problem. Inspect the taller capacitors on the board for bulging
    > or leaks. If ANY caps are swollen or leaking then ALL of the taller
    > ones must be replaced.

    1) do you mean the 12 capacitors put between the two sockets?
    2) actually my System is running, this way: the 600EB is working just
    fine at 450 MHz, Slackware 10 did finish it's installation and it
    actually boots up cleanly and lets me work (it has been on for 10 hrs.)

    Regards.
    OxygeN, Sep 16, 2004
  6. OxygeN

    OxygeN Guest

    In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:24:25 +0200
    OxygeN <> scriveva:

    > 2) actually my System is running, this way: the 600EB is working just
    > fine at 450 MHz, Slackware 10 did finish it's installation and it
    > actually boots up cleanly and lets me work (it has been on for 10
    > hrs.)

    Would a "broken" capacitor in some way inhibit or alter the MoBo's
    ability to multiply frequency?
    OxygeN, Sep 16, 2004
  7. OxygeN

    BigBadger Guest

    "OxygeN" <> wrote in message
    > In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:24:25 +0200
    > OxygeN <> scriveva:
    >
    >> 2) actually my System is running, this way: the 600EB is working just
    >> fine at 450 MHz, Slackware 10 did finish it's installation and it
    >> actually boots up cleanly and lets me work (it has been on for 10
    >> hrs.)

    > Would a "broken" capacitor in some way inhibit or alter the MoBo's
    > ability to multiply frequency?

    No, but it would seriously impact the boards stability which would prevent
    it running at full speed. It is very likely to be a capacitor failure
    problem check them all for slightly bulging tops.

    BigBadger, Sep 17, 2004
  8. OxygeN

    OxygeN Guest

    In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:11:03 +0100
    "BigBadger" <> scriveva:

    > check them all for slightly bulging tops.

    It is what you were pointing at: 3, maybe 4 caps are bulged on their
    tops :-(

    How much is it difficult to do the substitution of the damaged caps?

    Regards
    OxygeN, Sep 17, 2004
  9. OxygeN

    BigBadger Guest

    "OxygeN" <> wrote in message
    > In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:11:03 +0100
    > "BigBadger" <> scriveva:
    >
    >> check them all for slightly bulging tops.

    > It is what you were pointing at: 3, maybe 4 caps are bulged on their
    > tops :-(
    >
    > How much is it difficult to do the substitution of the damaged caps?
    >
    > Regards

    It's reasonably straight forward if you have some soldering experience and a
    decent, preferably temp controlled, soldering iron. You would want to change
    them all, not just the ones showing obvious signs of failure. Check this
    site: www.motherboardrepair.com
    BigBadger, Sep 17, 2004
  10. OxygeN

    OxygeN Guest

    In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:03:35 +0100
    "BigBadger" <> scriveva:

    > You would want to change
    > them all, not just the ones showing obvious signs of failure. Check
    > this site: www.motherboardrepair.com

    Well, why does this site differ from the one you mentioned, in terms of
    caps capacitances?!?

    http://www.vp6-board.com/caps1.htm

    And, as far as I can see, mi MoBo (VP6) has the latter ones (1500uF
    6.3V)... :-o
    OxygeN, Sep 17, 2004
  11. OxygeN

    BigBadger Guest

    "OxygeN" <> wrote in message
    > In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:03:35 +0100
    > "BigBadger" <> scriveva:
    >
    >> You would want to change
    >> them all, not just the ones showing obvious signs of failure. Check
    >> this site: www.motherboardrepair.com

    > Well, why does this site differ from the one you mentioned, in terms of
    > caps capacitances?!?
    >
    > http://www.vp6-board.com/caps1.htm
    >
    > And, as far as I can see, mi MoBo (VP6) has the latter ones (1500uF
    > 6.3V)... :-o

    Most VP6's use the 1500uf 6.3V caps as you mention but there are a few
    fitted with the 2200uf versions. Maybe the higher rating gives better
    stability? However I always use caps of the same rating to that which I
    remove, the only exception is that I sometimes use 1200uf in place of 1500uf
    where space is tight (e.g. next to AGP slot) and it's also ok to use a
    higher voltage.

    BigBadger, Sep 17, 2004
  12. OxygeN

    OxygeN Guest

    In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:40:11 +0100
    "BigBadger" <> scriveva:

    > Most VP6's use the 1500uf 6.3V caps as you mention but there are a few
    >
    > fitted with the 2200uf versions. Maybe the higher rating gives better
    > stability? However I always use caps of the same rating to that which
    > I remove, the only exception is that I sometimes use 1200uf in place
    > of 1500uf where space is tight (e.g. next to AGP slot) and it's also
    > ok to use a higher voltage.

    OK. Thanks.
    I'll substitute the actual ones with the same type!

    Regards, Flavio.
    OxygeN, Sep 18, 2004