    W98 "see" COM2?

    Thanks...

    --

    z, Jun 26, 2003

  2. z

    Hooda Gest Guest

    "z" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:yKKa.436$...
    > When I try to install the Lucent modem on the toshiba 2100cds running
    > w98/win98, the modem driver install
    > window sequence only shows COM1, not COM2.
    >
    > How can I install the W98 Lucent modem driver
    > on COM2, given this? What can I change to make
    > W98 "see" COM2?

    Without the modem installed, how many serial ports does the Toshiba show in
    Device Manager? If none, then you cannot (and don't need to) install it on
    anything but Com1.

    If there is already a Com1 then the modem should not install there but
    install on Com2.

    If there is a Com2 showing then it's because the serial port was designated
    with the Com2 address in the system's BIOS. You could change that to Com1
    address and then the modem will have Com2 free to use.

    --
    Hooda Gest
    "In a New York minute, everything can change..."

    Hooda Gest, Jun 27, 2003

  3. z

    z Guest

    --

    "Hooda Gest" <Be@One_With.Calm> wrote in message

    > If there is already a Com1 then the modem should not install there but
    > install on Com2.

    That is what is showing right at the moment.

    The trouble is, when I go into the modem installation
    windows, the modem installation windows do not
    let me install on anything but COM1.

    Is the way to do this to modify temporarily the BIOS?
    (Any hints appreciated.)

    z, Jun 27, 2003
  4. z

    Hooda Gest Guest

    "z" <> wrote in message

    > --
    >
    > "Hooda Gest" <Be@One_With.Calm> wrote in message

    > > If there is already a Com1 then the modem should not install there but
    > > install on Com2.

    > That is what is showing right at the moment.
    >
    > The trouble is, when I go into the modem installation
    > windows, the modem installation windows do not
    > let me install on anything but COM1.
    >
    > Is the way to do this to modify temporarily the BIOS?
    > (Any hints appreciated.)

    The modem should be PnP and not assign itself to an existing com port. Check
    the configuration of the modem, make sure the jumpers are properly set for
    PnP operation.

    If that is all as it should be, I suggest you go into the BIOS, set the
    existing serial port to be Com2, and then let the modem take Com1. It won't
    cause any harm and will work just as well there.

    --

    Hooda Gest
    "The only thing I do immediately is procrastinate."

    Hooda Gest, Jun 27, 2003