    Thanks,

    --
    CareBear
    CareBear, Nov 23, 2006

  2. "CareBear" <> wrote in message...
    > I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I would
    > like to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS DDR
    > ram. I am open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right
    > thing to do. I'm also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.
    >
    > I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware lately
    > so I don't know what's the best brand/model available.

    What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your underlying
    wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face of it see a reason
    to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a better
    performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board in existence.

    If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense is to
    swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're going to do
    that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other peripherals too,
    as most of the options you're likely to be looking at will be based on PCI
    Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also be looking at large scale
    changes to your hard disks and optical drives if you're still using a large
    number of parallel ATA devices, while you may also be looking at a new PSU.

    So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got to
    ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing power,
    a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet, you say
    you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to keep your
    processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need more power. As
    such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change anything - unless,
    as mentioned earlier, there's something specific you want that the IC7-G
    doesn't do, in which case you're probably better off adding it as a
    peripheral than changing the board.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 23, 2006

  3. CareBear

    CareBear Guest

    "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    > "CareBear" <> wrote in message...
    >> I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I would
    >> like to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS DDR
    >> ram. I am open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right
    >> thing to do. I'm also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.
    >>
    >> I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware lately
    >> so I don't know what's the best brand/model available.

    > What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your underlying
    > wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face of it see a
    > reason to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a better
    > performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board in
    > existence.
    >
    > If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense is
    > to swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're going to
    > do that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other peripherals
    > too, as most of the options you're likely to be looking at will be based
    > on PCI Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also be looking at large
    > scale changes to your hard disks and optical drives if you're still using
    > a large number of parallel ATA devices, while you may also be looking at a
    > new PSU.
    >
    > So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got to
    > ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing
    > power, a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet, you
    > say you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to keep your
    > processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need more power.
    > As such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change anything -
    > unless, as mentioned earlier, there's something specific you want that the
    > IC7-G doesn't do, in which case you're probably better off adding it as a
    > peripheral than changing the board.
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

    Richard:

    I didn't know I needed a reason to upgrade :) Lately I've noticed some
    brown liquid in the bottom of my case. I can't tell where it's coming from
    but my first thought was capacitors are going bad. I am still trying to
    determine where the liquid is coming from. If that is the case I may go
    back with a new IC7-G or whatever is most feasible.

    Thanks,

    --
    CareBear
    CareBear, Nov 25, 2006
  4. CareBear

    Amir Facade Guest

    "CareBear" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message
    >> "CareBear" <> wrote in message...
    >>> I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I would
    >>> like to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS DDR
    >>> ram. I am open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right
    >>> thing to do. I'm also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware
    >>> lately
    >>> so I don't know what's the best brand/model available.

    >> What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your underlying
    >> wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face of it see a
    >> reason to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a better
    >> performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board in
    >> existence.
    >>
    >> If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense is
    >> to swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're going to
    >> do that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other
    >> peripherals too, as most of the options you're likely to be looking at
    >> will be based on PCI Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also be
    >> looking at large scale changes to your hard disks and optical drives if
    >> you're still using a large number of parallel ATA devices, while you may
    >> also be looking at a new PSU.
    >>
    >> So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got to
    >> ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing
    >> power, a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet, you
    >> say you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to keep your
    >> processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need more power.
    >> As such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change anything -
    >> unless, as mentioned earlier, there's something specific you want that
    >> the IC7-G doesn't do, in which case you're probably better off adding it
    >> as a peripheral than changing the board.
    >> --
    >>

    >> Richard Hopkins
    >> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    >> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >>
    >> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    >>

    > Richard:
    >
    > I didn't know I needed a reason to upgrade :) Lately I've noticed some
    > brown liquid in the bottom of my case. I can't tell where it's coming
    > from but my first thought was capacitors are going bad. I am still trying
    > to determine where the liquid is coming from. If that is the case I may
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > CareBear

    Care Bear,

    You gotta stop using over those Starbuck cups.
    I got brown liquid on my keyboard that way.

    Amir
    Amir Facade, Nov 25, 2006
  5. CareBear

    CareBear Guest

    "Amir Facade" <> wrote in message

    > "CareBear" <> wrote in message
    >> "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message

    >>> What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your
    >>> underlying wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face of
    >>> it see a reason to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a
    >>> better performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board in
    >>> existence.
    >>>
    >>> If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense
    >>> is to swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're going
    >>> to do that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other
    >>> peripherals too, as most of the options you're likely to be looking at
    >>> will be based on PCI Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also be
    >>> looking at large scale changes to your hard disks and optical drives if
    >>> you're still using a large number of parallel ATA devices, while you may
    >>> also be looking at a new PSU.
    >>>
    >>> So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got to
    >>> ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing
    >>> power, a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet,
    >>> you say you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to keep
    >>> your processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need more
    >>> power. As such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change
    >>> anything - unless, as mentioned earlier, there's something specific you
    >>> want that the IC7-G doesn't do, in which case you're probably better off
    >>> adding it as a peripheral than changing the board.
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> Richard Hopkins
    >>> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    >>> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >>>
    >>> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    >>>

    >> Richard:
    >>
    >> I didn't know I needed a reason to upgrade :) Lately I've noticed some
    >> brown liquid in the bottom of my case. I can't tell where it's coming
    >> from but my first thought was capacitors are going bad. I am still
    >> trying to determine where the liquid is coming from. If that is the case
    >> I may go back with a new IC7-G or whatever is most feasible.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> --
    >> CareBear
    >>

    > Care Bear,
    >
    > You gotta stop using over those Starbuck cups.
    > I got brown liquid on my keyboard that way.
    >
    > Amir

    LOL...I wish it was that simple. The keyboard is ok...my case sits under a
    desk.

    --
    CareBear
    CareBear, Nov 25, 2006
  6. CareBear

    Joe Guest

    Hey I got a brown spot inside my case using the ic7-g.....now you got
    me thinking.

    BTW Brown spot is hard and crusty.

    Joe, Jan 26, 2007
  7. CareBear

    CareBear Guest

    I am still not sure where the brown liquid came from. My case sits under a
    desk so it is definitely not coffee, etc. The computer is still functioning
    ok but the brown liquid does make me a little nervous. I envision one day
    coming home from work and logging on my computer and poof, nothing? I'm
    keeping my fingers crossed and make a backup of my hard drive every week,
    just in case (no pun intended).

    --
    CareBear

    CareBear, Jan 27, 2007