Warning: Mountain Lion Causing Freezes

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Skylamar, Aug 20, 2012.

  1. Skylamar

    Skylamar Guest

    Hi. This is just a warnning to people who haven't yet upgraded to
    Mountain Lion: it's causing regular freezes on some computers.

    I upgraded a few days after Mountain Lion was released because most of
    the reviews I read said it was solid, more solid than previous first
    releases of OS X.

    But my Mac is freezing up at least once a day, every day. I have to
    force shutdown. I can still move my the mouse pointer, but that's it.
    It literally has happened every day. Although, only once has it frozen
    twice in one day.

    I have an IMac circa late 2007 -- it has a Core 2 Duo processor with
    4GB of RAM.

    Other people are having the same freezing problem and there's a
    discussion thread in the Apple community forums:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/19101489#19101489

    There doesn't seem to be an answer as the problem is occurring with a
    variety of Macs. Some people have done a clean install of Mountain Lion
    and are still having the problem.

    Some people have also been testing 10.8.1, which is being released
    soon, since some of the people are developers. And apparently 10.8.1
    doesn't solve the problem either.

    In the forums, some people are having other symptoms that are
    acoompanying the freezes. But thankfully my Mac is running well except
    for the freezing.

    I called Apple and let them know about the freezes. If you already have
    Mountain Lion and are experiencing the freezes, I recommend calling
    them as well so they can see a lot of people are having the issue:
    (800) 275-2273

    Thanks.

    Sky

    1. Advertising

  2. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-08-19 19:39 , Skylamar wrote:
    > Hi. This is just a warnning to people who haven't yet upgraded to
    > Mountain Lion: it's causing regular freezes on some computers.
    >
    > I upgraded a few days after Mountain Lion was released because most of
    > the reviews I read said it was solid, more solid than previous first
    > releases of OS X.
    >
    > But my Mac is freezing up at least once a day, every day. I have to
    > force shutdown. I can still move my the mouse pointer, but that's it. It
    > literally has happened every day. Although, only once has it frozen
    > twice in one day.
    >
    > I have an IMac circa late 2007 -- it has a Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB
    > of RAM.
    >
    > Other people are having the same freezing problem and there's a
    > discussion thread in the Apple community forums:
    > https://discussions.apple.com/message/19101489#19101489
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be an answer as the problem is occurring with a
    > variety of Macs. Some people have done a clean install of Mountain Lion
    > and are still having the problem.
    >
    > Some people have also been testing 10.8.1, which is being released soon,
    > since some of the people are developers. And apparently 10.8.1 doesn't
    > solve the problem either.

    Why I wait a month or so esp. as my iMac is also a late 2007 and this is
    likely the last major OS upgrade for this machine - I can wait until
    they get it right.

    --
    "C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
    -John Keating.

    1. Advertising

  3. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > On 2012-08-19 19:39 , Skylamar wrote:
    >> Hi. This is just a warnning to people who haven't yet upgraded to
    >> Mountain Lion: it's causing regular freezes on some computers.
    >>
    >> I upgraded a few days after Mountain Lion was released because most of
    >> the reviews I read said it was solid, more solid than previous first
    >> releases of OS X.
    >>
    >> But my Mac is freezing up at least once a day, every day. I have to
    >> force shutdown. I can still move my the mouse pointer, but that's it. It
    >> literally has happened every day. Although, only once has it frozen
    >> twice in one day.
    >>
    >> I have an IMac circa late 2007 -- it has a Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB
    >> of RAM.

    Hmm. I have a 2007 iMac with 8GB and no problems. It's been very happy
    running 10.8 (and the runaway Safari problem we had on that machine in
    10.7 is gone).

    > Why I wait a month or so esp. as my iMac is also a late 2007 and this is
    > likely the last major OS upgrade for this machine - I can wait until
    > they get it right.

    It seems like *very* few people are having this problem.

    I *have* seen behavior like this in the past (mouse works, can't switch
    apps) but it's been rare and it's not confined to 10.8.

    --
    I CAN'T SEE DEAD PEOPLE Bart chalkboard Ep. BABF05

  4. Skylamar

    Skylamar Guest

    On 2012-08-20 00:35:06 +0000, Lewis said:

    > I *have* seen behavior like this in the past (mouse works, can't switch
    > apps) but it's been rare and it's not confined to 10.8.

    I just know that my Mac crashed maybe three or four times a year when I
    was running Lion. Now it's every day. I have no idea how rare the
    problem is. I'm guessing many people with the problem don't use Mac
    discussion boards or Usenet.

  5. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <201208192018157121-nothingtoseehere@movealongnet>
    Skylamar <> wrote:
    > On 2012-08-20 00:35:06 +0000, Lewis said:

    >> I *have* seen behavior like this in the past (mouse works, can't switch
    >> apps) but it's been rare and it's not confined to 10.8.

    > I just know that my Mac crashed maybe three or four times a year when I
    > was running Lion. Now it's every day. I have no idea how rare the
    > problem is. I'm guessing many people with the problem don't use Mac
    > discussion boards or Usenet.

    My mini runs Plex full time and that's pretty much all it does (well, it
    also converts video from a raw stream to h.264, so that's probably its
    main task, really) and is a lot more stable under 10.8. I've only had to
    reboot it once since the beginning of July when I put the GM on it and
    that was because Plex stopped responding and would not allow itself to
    be force-quit. As far as I could tell, the rest of the system was still
    functioning. Under 10.7, it needed a reboot every four days or so. Maybe
    seven at the most.

    The MacBookPro (2009) has not needed a reboot at all, though I have shut it
    down to swap drives. Its use is pretty light (IRC, Terminal.app, BBEdit,
    Safari, Mail). The aforementioned iMac has been up 14 days, but I might
    be wrong on its vintage (I mostly deal with it remotely).

    Checking, it's newer than I thought, an iMac 11,2 (which looks to be from
    2010).

    Checking other machines it looks like the oldest one I have running 10.8
    is my 2009 MacBookPro, though there are several imacs about the same
    vintage. Very happy with 10.8 on all machines though.

    --
    'Oook?' 'I like to listen to a man who likes to talk! Whoops! Sawdust
    and treacle! Put that in your herring and smoke it!' 'I don't think he

  6. Skylamar

    Skylamar Guest

    On 2012-08-20 06:10:33 +0000, Lewis said:

    > Very happy with 10.8 on all machines though.

    Yeah, other than the freezing, I do like Mountain Lion better. I don't
    know if it's my imagination, but it seems like my Mac boots up faster.
    I'm just hoping the freezing issue is solved. But, so far, there's no
    clear-cut evidence on what is causing the problems. You're lucky you're
    not having any issues.

    There are some other people in the Apple discussion forums who are
    having lots of other issues in addition to freezing. Some people claim
    their machines are extremely slow. And some also say their Mac is
    freezing up much more regularly than mine is, to the point that their
    Mac is unusable. I would be livid if that were happening to me.

    The issue might have to do with how hot my Mac is getting, or due to
    the fans. Someone seemed to think that's a possibility. I know that my
    Mac isn't freezing up early in the day. It's been freezing after I've
    been using it for a number of hours.

  7. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-08-19 20:35 , Lewis wrote:
    > In message <>
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >> On 2012-08-19 19:39 , Skylamar wrote:
    >>> Hi. This is just a warnning to people who haven't yet upgraded to
    >>> Mountain Lion: it's causing regular freezes on some computers.
    >>>
    >>> I upgraded a few days after Mountain Lion was released because most of
    >>> the reviews I read said it was solid, more solid than previous first
    >>> releases of OS X.
    >>>
    >>> But my Mac is freezing up at least once a day, every day. I have to
    >>> force shutdown. I can still move my the mouse pointer, but that's it. It
    >>> literally has happened every day. Although, only once has it frozen
    >>> twice in one day.
    >>>
    >>> I have an IMac circa late 2007 -- it has a Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB
    >>> of RAM.

    > Hmm. I have a 2007 iMac with 8GB and no problems. It's been very happy
    > running 10.8 (and the runaway Safari problem we had on that machine in
    > 10.7 is gone).

    Don't you mean 6 GB? The 2007 iMac is spec'd for 4 GB, but will handle
    6 (my iMac has 6). Per various websites it will not work at 8.

    Bank 0: 4 GB
    Bank 1: 2 GB

    If it will handle 8, I'll order a 4 GB module forthwith.

    iMac 7,1 / 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

    >> Why I wait a month or so esp. as my iMac is also a late 2007 and this is
    >> likely the last major OS upgrade for this machine - I can wait until
    >> they get it right.

    > It seems like *very* few people are having this problem.

    Several at the apple discussion forum as linked.

    I don't want to add to the numbers. I'll wait until a couple minor
    updates go out and until the griping about the issue goes down.

    It's not a big rush item for me to be sure.