Washed out display when Dual Video-ing with my 1yr old Dell

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bub.Paulson@gmail.com, Oct 4, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Last year I bought a Dell PC with a "19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel"
    monitor and a "256MB NVIDIA Geforce 7300LE" video card. I noticed
    when I plugged another monitor in -- for dual display -- the older one
    was noticibly grey. I figured side-by-side I was noticing an existing
    problem, that only became apparent due to seeing it right beside a
    better LCD.

    Recently I upgraded to a 24" Westinghouse L2410NM (see reviews at
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824255001), and
    put the biggest monitor where the Dell one was, and the Dell one where
    the older one was, and the older one has been given away.

    Dilemma: now the Dell LCD has a "washed out" grayish appearance;
    overall darker.

    Sooo...intuitively, I figure the graphics card is too weak to properly
    drive both of my monitors (one 19" at 1280x1024, one 24" at
    1920x1200), but I wanted to solicit other opinions. I am no expert,
    and the advice in this forum is often excellent.

    Thanks,
    Bub
    , Oct 4, 2007

  2. Guest

    Hi!

    Chances are the video card is more than capable enough to drive both
    of your monitors. Both video connections should be at least semi-
    isolated from one another, but in the case of your system, some
    supporting component may have gone bad or is marginal.

    You might also double check your monitors. I could certainly agree
    that what you're seeing is a video card problem, but no two monitors
    are alike...especially ones from totally different companies. Even if
    it were for testing purposes only, I'd try to get two matched monitors
    (same brand and model) for a test to see if the graphics card still
    doesn't work properly.

    William
    , Oct 4, 2007

  3. Tom Scales Guest

    While my experience says the 7300LE is junk (and I have two in a
    drawer), I don't believe they are your problem. I've used them to drive
    two 1920x1200 monitors.

    So, if you've ruled out the monitor and you've reasonable rules out the
    card, what's left is the VGA cable. Have you tried a different one?
    Sounds like it make have a bad connection.
    Tom Scales, Oct 4, 2007