Watercooling and shutdown sensor

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Nick, Jun 20, 2006.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Hi,

    Today I installed a "CoolerMaster Aquagate BIG" watercooler in my PC.
    Motherboard: MSI KT3 Ultra2, processor: Athlon 2000+

    The installation itself went just fine and a love the silence of the fan and
    stability of my system running easily at 1.8 GHz without any problems (even
    when the fan runs at the lowest position, the CPU temp. shows 42 C).

    However, there is an option to connect the watercooling PCI-card to the
    'shutdown sensor' of the motherboard. But... I can't find that sensor...

    I only see the original air-fan sensors. Does anyone have a clue how to
    connect the PCI card of the Coolermaster cooler to some kind of
    switch/sensor of the motherboard, so when an detected alarm is reached (e.g.
    CPU temp or cooling liquid temp) the PC will automatically shutdown?

    Thank you in advance!

    Best regards,
    Nick
    Nick, Jun 20, 2006

  2. Nick

    Paul Guest

    In article <44984569$0$2014$>, "Nick"
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Today I installed a "CoolerMaster Aquagate BIG" watercooler in my PC.
    > Motherboard: MSI KT3 Ultra2, processor: Athlon 2000+
    >
    > The installation itself went just fine and a love the silence of the fan and
    > stability of my system running easily at 1.8 GHz without any problems (even
    > when the fan runs at the lowest position, the CPU temp. shows 42 C).
    >
    > However, there is an option to connect the watercooling PCI-card to the
    > 'shutdown sensor' of the motherboard. But... I can't find that sensor...
    >
    > I only see the original air-fan sensors. Does anyone have a clue how to
    > connect the PCI card of the Coolermaster cooler to some kind of
    > switch/sensor of the motherboard, so when an detected alarm is reached (e.g.
    > CPU temp or cooling liquid temp) the PC will automatically shutdown?
    >
    > Thank you in advance!
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Nick

    Page 26 here, shows a two wire extension cable. The computer system
    front power switch cable has a female two pin shell on it, and it
    connects to the male two pin "Case" connector. The female one labelled
    "Motherboard", goes to the power switch pins on the PANEL
    header of your motherboard.

    http://www.coolermaster.com/installation_manual/Aquagate_manual_text_EN.pdf

    At the other end of that cable assembly, the connector should plug
    to a header on the Aquagate PCI card labelled for "shutdown sensor
    cable". The name is meaningless, as the cable does not sense anything,
    and the cable duplicates (runs in parallel with) the function of the
    power switch. When the relay on the PCI card closes (because the
    Aquagate has detected a temperature issue), it is like pressing
    the power switch for four seconds, on the front of the computer.
    The computer should switch off after the signal has been activated
    for more than four seconds. I don't know if the Aquagate is smart
    enough to open the relay after the four seconds, or leaves the
    relay closed until you reset something (maybe on the LCD display ?).
    In any case, if the Aquagate shuts you down, and you cannot get
    the computer to start, disconnect the "shutdown sensor cable" from
    the Aquagate PCI card, and you should recover control of the computer.

    The biggest danger with water cooling, is what happens if the
    coolant leaks out or the pump fails. The CPU thermal sensor
    can detect a problem at the CPU, and for every water block in
    the system, there should be an overheat sensor. The sensor provided
    by Coolermaster is slow acting, and it is possible the THERMTRIP
    on the processor will kill the power, before the Aquagate does.

    I have read one posting from someone - his girlfriend used his
    computer, without switching on the water cooling, and he had
    hardware damage. So an overheat detection system that works is
    an important feature to have. THERMTRIP on P4 and Athlon64 should
    protect the processor, but I don't know how a video card with
    water blocks on it, could be effectively protected.

    A good thermal sensor should have low thermal mass, and the shutdown
    mechanism should be fast - four seconds is a long time to wait
    for shutdown (if, say, the water block fell off). Gating PS_ON#
    would be another way to implement this feature, but that would
    mean shipping an ATX power extender cable with the necessary
    wiring mod on it, and some people do not like to use
    extenders in a high power demand system. Thus, Coolermaster
    chose to work in parallel with the computer case front power
    switch instead.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Nick

    Nick Guest

    > Page 26 here, shows a two wire extension cable. The computer system
    > front power switch cable has a female two pin shell on it, and it
    > Paul

    Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your comprehensive reply, it will be helpful for me!!!

    Concerning the dangers of watercooling: sure I'm aware of that, but as far
    as I can see now it's a waterproof tide system, so no drops of liquid will
    come out. If it does... liquid and electronics aren't exactly friends, but
    the CoolerMaster detect temperature rizing, but it also detects when the
    coolingliquid runs below a certain level (i.e. when there is a leak). So
    when it automatically shuts down the PC there still is a chance that not too
    much harm is done (but that's maybe wishfull thinking).

    For the temperature alarm you can use a 'safe' margin to avoid the delay of
    noticing and reacting too late to that signal. So that could be overcome.

    But you're right it's always risky to use such a cooling system, but I have
    trust in it (naive as I am :)

    For me the necessary of watercooling came when my PC, containing an Athlon
    2000+ had some serious heating problems. I cleaned the fan and even
    installed a second fan. This solution did help a bit, but I couldn't run my
    processor at a long time at 1.66 GHz because it became quite instable. So I
    was looking for another solution: or to buy another PC, or to see what
    watercooling would bring.

    I found this complet and very cheap cooling system (66 euro, app. 70 US$ I
    assume) which looked fine and also the specs were okay. So therefore I
    installed it and I must say so far (after a day continuous running at 1.8
    GHz) it cools excellent. Temp. doesn't rize above 43C so that's just fine.

    Anyway thanks again for your reply and I will try to see if the shutdown
    connection will work.

    Bye,
    Nick
    Nick, Jun 21, 2006