1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Webcam on PMT!

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Cass_2000, Jun 15, 2011.

  1. Cass_2000

    Cass_2000 Guest

    Hey there everyone, I'm having problems with my built in webcam. It wa
    working fine and then suddenly started playing up.
    Sometimes the cam doesn't show up anywhere (ie my computer, devic
    manager etc) so I can't use it and then sometimes it appears again and
    get a message pop up at the bottom right saying "this usb device ca
    perform faster: asus webcam" and when that happens I can use it. But no
    for long, the cam then disappears again and I get another message sho
    up saying "unknown usb device".
    I've tried all sorts to fix this, tried updating drivers, tried syste
    restore, tried going into BIOS, tried uninstalling and reinstalling etc
    The only other option that has been suggested is to reinstall window
    but I don't want to do that really.
    Can anyone at all help?????? It's driving me mad. My laptop is a asu
    eee 1001ha pc, and OS is xp.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    Cass_2000, Jun 15, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Cass_2000 wrote:
    > Hey there everyone, I'm having problems with my built in webcam. It
    > was working fine and then suddenly started playing up.
    > Sometimes the cam doesn't show up anywhere (ie my computer, device
    > manager etc) so I can't use it and then sometimes it appears again
    > and I get a message pop up at the bottom right saying "this usb
    > device can perform faster: asus webcam" and when that happens I can
    > use it. But not for long, the cam then disappears again and I get
    > another message show up saying "unknown usb device".
    > I've tried all sorts to fix this, tried updating drivers, tried system
    > restore, tried going into BIOS, tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    > etc. The only other option that has been suggested is to reinstall
    > windows but I don't want to do that really.
    > Can anyone at all help?????? It's driving me mad. My laptop is a asus
    > eee 1001ha pc, and OS is xp.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.


    Well I have a bunch of Asus EeePC 701 and 702 models. So mine are a bit
    different than yours. But I believe both of ours start all USB ports to
    USB v1.1 speeds at post. And since the webcam is useless at this speed,
    it is disabled in the BIOS at this point.

    Past post, It will be switched on and USB 2 speeds are returned. But if
    you have the BIOS Setup Utility having the OS Installation set to Start,
    it will not even set the USB ports to 2.0 speeds and the webcam will
    never work.

    That is the only thing I can think of, except webcams like optical
    drives don't tend to last very long if used on a daily bases. And one or
    two years under heavy use seems to be pretty normal. So I would consider
    this possibly too.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jun 18, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Cass_2000

    Cass_2000 Guest

    BillW50;1295854 Wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Cass_2000 wrote:
    > > Hey there everyone, I'm having problems with my built in webcam. It
    > > was working fine and then suddenly started playing up.
    > > Sometimes the cam doesn't show up anywhere (ie my computer, device
    > > manager etc) so I can't use it and then sometimes it appears again
    > > and I get a message pop up at the bottom right saying "this usb
    > > device can perform faster: asus webcam" and when that happens I can
    > > use it. But not for long, the cam then disappears again and I get
    > > another message show up saying "unknown usb device".
    > > I've tried all sorts to fix this, tried updating drivers, trie

    > system
    > > restore, tried going into BIOS, tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    > > etc. The only other option that has been suggested is to reinstall
    > > windows but I don't want to do that really.
    > > Can anyone at all help?????? It's driving me mad. My laptop is a asus
    > > eee 1001ha pc, and OS is xp.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    >
    > Well I have a bunch of Asus EeePC 701 and 702 models. So mine are a bi
    >
    > different than yours. But I believe both of ours start all USB ports t
    >
    > USB v1.1 speeds at post. And since the webcam is useless at this speed
    >
    > it is disabled in the BIOS at this point.
    >
    > Past post, It will be switched on and USB 2 speeds are returned. But i
    >
    > you have the BIOS Setup Utility having the OS Installation set to Start
    >
    > it will not even set the USB ports to 2.0 speeds and the webcam will
    > never work.
    >
    > That is the only thing I can think of, except webcams like optical
    > drives don't tend to last very long if used on a daily bases. And one o
    >
    > two years under heavy use seems to be pretty normal. So I would conside
    >
    > this possibly too.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    > Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3


    Hi Bill, thank's for your reply.. I have to admit tho I don't reall
    understand much of what you said! I have been in the BIOS however a
    someone suggested it might be disabled there but everything is enabled
    As for the 2.0 speed thing you mentioned... how do I get the cam to wor
    at that speed?! Sorry for being so thick
    Cass_2000, Jun 18, 2011
    #3
  4. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Cass_2000 wrote:
    > BillW50;1295854 Wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Cass_2000 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hey there everyone, I'm having problems with my built in webcam. It
    >>> was working fine and then suddenly started playing up.
    >>> Sometimes the cam doesn't show up anywhere (ie my computer, device
    >>> manager etc) so I can't use it and then sometimes it appears again
    >>> and I get a message pop up at the bottom right saying "this usb
    >>> device can perform faster: asus webcam" and when that happens I can
    >>> use it. But not for long, the cam then disappears again and I get
    >>> another message show up saying "unknown usb device".
    >>> I've tried all sorts to fix this, tried updating drivers, tried
    >>> system restore, tried going into BIOS, tried uninstalling and
    >>> reinstalling etc. The only other option that has been suggested is
    >>> to reinstall windows but I don't want to do that really.
    >>> Can anyone at all help?????? It's driving me mad. My laptop is a
    >>> asus eee 1001ha pc, and OS is xp.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    >>
    >> Well I have a bunch of Asus EeePC 701 and 702 models. So mine are a
    >> bit different than yours. But I believe both of ours start all USB
    >> ports to USB v1.1 speeds at post. And since the webcam is useless at
    >> this speed, it is disabled in the BIOS at this point.
    >>
    >> Past post, It will be switched on and USB 2 speeds are returned. But
    >> if you have the BIOS Setup Utility having the OS Installation set to
    >> Start, it will not even set the USB ports to 2.0 speeds and the
    >> webcam will never work.
    >>
    >> That is the only thing I can think of, except webcams like optical
    >> drives don't tend to last very long if used on a daily bases. And one
    >> or two years under heavy use seems to be pretty normal. So I would
    >> consider this possibly too.

    >
    > Hi Bill, thank's for your reply.. I have to admit tho I don't really
    > understand much of what you said! I have been in the BIOS however as
    > someone suggested it might be disabled there but everything is
    > enabled. As for the 2.0 speed thing you mentioned... how do I get the
    > cam to work at that speed?! Sorry for being so thick.


    I don't know if the EEE 1001HA has the option in the BIOS that has OS
    Installation toggle or not. If it does, make sure the toggle is set to
    Finished. If it isn't, the webcam won't work correctly. I believe AJL
    has one of these. So maybe AJL might see this and let us know what his
    BIOS settings looks like.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jun 21, 2011
    #4
  5. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    Reposted for AJL...

    On 6/21/2011 8:31 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Cass_2000 wrote:
    >> BillW50;1295854 Wrote:
    >>> In news:,
    >>> Cass_2000 wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Hey there everyone, I'm having problems with my built in webcam. It
    >>>> was working fine and then suddenly started playing up.
    >>>> Sometimes the cam doesn't show up anywhere (ie my computer, device
    >>>> manager etc) so I can't use it and then sometimes it appears again
    >>>> and I get a message pop up at the bottom right saying "this usb
    >>>> device can perform faster: asus webcam" and when that happens I can
    >>>> use it. But not for long, the cam then disappears again and I get
    >>>> another message show up saying "unknown usb device".
    >>>> I've tried all sorts to fix this, tried updating drivers, tried
    >>>> system restore, tried going into BIOS, tried uninstalling and
    >>>> reinstalling etc. The only other option that has been suggested is
    >>>> to reinstall windows but I don't want to do that really.
    >>>> Can anyone at all help?????? It's driving me mad. My laptop is a
    >>>> asus eee 1001ha pc, and OS is xp.
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >>>
    >>> Well I have a bunch of Asus EeePC 701 and 702 models. So mine are a
    >>> bit different than yours. But I believe both of ours start all USB
    >>> ports to USB v1.1 speeds at post. And since the webcam is useless at
    >>> this speed, it is disabled in the BIOS at this point.
    >>>
    >>> Past post, It will be switched on and USB 2 speeds are returned. But
    >>> if you have the BIOS Setup Utility having the OS Installation set to
    >>> Start, it will not even set the USB ports to 2.0 speeds and the
    >>> webcam will never work.
    >>>
    >>> That is the only thing I can think of, except webcams like optical
    >>> drives don't tend to last very long if used on a daily bases. And one
    >>> or two years under heavy use seems to be pretty normal. So I would
    >>> consider this possibly too.

    >>
    >> Hi Bill, thank's for your reply.. I have to admit tho I don't really
    >> understand much of what you said! I have been in the BIOS however as
    >> someone suggested it might be disabled there but everything is
    >> enabled. As for the 2.0 speed thing you mentioned... how do I get the
    >> cam to work at that speed?! Sorry for being so thick.

    >
    > I don't know if the EEE 1001HA has the option in the BIOS that has OS
    > Installation toggle or not. If it does, make sure the toggle is set to
    > Finished. If it isn't, the webcam won't work correctly. I believe AJL
    > has one of these. So maybe AJL might see this and let us know what his
    > BIOS settings looks like.


    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jul 2, 2011
    #5
  6. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 05:34:45 -0500, BillW50 <> wrote:

    >Reposted for AJL...
    >
    >On 6/21/2011 8:31 AM, BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> Cass_2000 wrote:
    >>> BillW50;1295854 Wrote:
    >>>> In news:,
    >>>> Cass_2000 wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Hey there everyone, I'm having problems with my built in webcam.
    >>>>> My laptop is a asus eee 1001ha pc, and OS is xp.


    >> I don't know if the EEE 1001HA has the option in the BIOS that has OS
    >> Installation toggle or not. If it does, make sure the toggle is set to
    >> Finished. If it isn't, the webcam won't work correctly. I believe AJL
    >> has one of these. So maybe AJL might see this and let us know what his
    >> BIOS settings looks like.


    Mine is a 1015PE and has different specs so I don't know about the
    BIOS differences, but I just looked all through this BIOS and couldn't
    find any setings for the webcam.

    You will chucke at the main on/off webcam setting on this 1015PE
    netbook. It is a *mechanical slider shade* (labeled "on" and "off")
    that slides across in front of the lens like a camera lens cap. Course
    what did I expect from a $229 Best Buy netbook... ;)

    My 3 year old EeePC 1000HW (XP) outperforms this 1000PE (W7) in just
    about every way except battery life...a whopping 10 hours. That was
    the big deal on the ads so guess they sacrificed speed for battery.

    BTW neither the old 1000HW or the older 2G Surf netbooks even have
    webcams.
    AJL, Jul 2, 2011
    #6
  7. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On 7/2/2011 1:05 PM, AJL wrote:
    [...]
    > BTW neither the old 1000HW or the older 2G Surf netbooks even have
    > webcams.


    I don't know as much about all of the netbook models from Asus like you
    do. But I do know a lot about the 700 series models. And Asus used two
    different methods of model numbers for them.

    700 = 2G
    701 = 4G
    702 = 8G (only this model the SSD was replaceable)

    And any of the above was labeled as Surf (i.e. 4G Surf), it means it
    doesn't have a webcam. I know for a fact that the 4G models came with
    and without a webcam (aka Surf). And I seem to remember that the 2G
    models came with and without a webcam too (I can't swear to it though).
    And I can't remember a single 8G model without a webcam (but they could
    have existed).

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jul 3, 2011
    #7
  8. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    Just trying out a Droid newsreader.
    More to follow...
    AJL, Jul 3, 2011
    #8
  9. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:21:40 -0700, AJL <>
    wrote:

    >Just trying out a Droid newsreader.
    >More to follow...


    Sorry, yes I know I should go to a test group but this was much easier
    to try and there's not that much traffic here anyway. Heading out to
    Big Bear Lake CA and will have no WiFi so not bringing the netbook.
    But will probably have cell data access, so just wanted to try out my
    Droid reader posting for the first time and it seems to work.
    Apologies to any who are offended...
    AJL, Jul 3, 2011
    #9
  10. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:00:02 -0500, BillW50 <> wrote:

    >On 7/2/2011 1:05 PM, AJL wrote:
    >[...]
    >> BTW neither the old 1000HW or the older 2G Surf netbooks even have
    >> webcams.

    >
    >I don't know as much about all of the netbook models from Asus like you
    >do.


    I only own 3 EeePC netbooks now. I think you have 6 or more. I would
    defer to your expertise just by simple numbers... ;)

    >But I do know a lot about the 700 series models. And Asus used two
    >different methods of model numbers for them.
    >
    >700 = 2G


    I'm sure you're right. But interestingly I can find no model number
    anywhere on my 2G Surf or on any of the associated paperwork. The box
    of course is long gone.

    Wikipedia says they were marketed in some areas with a name and others
    with a model number.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

    Anyway an interesting article with info on the various models.

    >701 = 4G
    >702 = 8G (only this model the SSD was replaceable)


    According to the article some of the 4G Surfs were socketed though no
    access door. My 2G Surf has the SSD soldered in.

    >And any of the above was labeled as Surf (i.e. 4G Surf), it means it
    >doesn't have a webcam. I know for a fact that the 4G models came with
    >and without a webcam (aka Surf).


    I think they made special runs for various manufacturers. My 1000HW is
    a Best Buy run with no webcam and no bluetooth. Other 1000 models had
    different letter designations and different specs though the same
    basic model.

    >And I seem to remember that the 2G
    >models came with and without a webcam too (I can't swear to it though).


    Probably the best proof of that is that my 2G Surf has a plugged up
    webcam hole... ;) (As does my 1000HW)

    >And I can't remember a single 8G model without a webcam (but they could
    >have existed).


    If such a no-webcam model exists it would be found at Best Buy... ;)

    BTW while I was Googling around I noticed that Amazon had a couple of
    used 2G Surfs. $199 and $229... 8-O Heck I got mine new for $199
    at Target...
    AJL, Jul 3, 2011
    #10
  11. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    AJL wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:00:02 -0500, BillW50 <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/2/2011 1:05 PM, AJL wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> BTW neither the old 1000HW or the older 2G Surf netbooks even have
    >>> webcams.

    >> I don't know as much about all of the netbook models from Asus like you
    >> do.

    >
    > I only own 3 EeePC netbooks now. I think you have 6 or more. I would
    > defer to your expertise just by simple numbers... ;)


    Well I *only* have 701s (4G) and 702s (8G) models. ;-) And I also have a
    bunch of SSDs of different sizes for the 702s.

    >> But I do know a lot about the 700 series models. And Asus used two
    >> different methods of model numbers for them.
    >>
    >> 700 = 2G

    >
    > I'm sure you're right. But interestingly I can find no model number
    > anywhere on my 2G Surf or on any of the associated paperwork. The box
    > of course is long gone.


    Well on mine, it states the model number on the paper tag with the
    serial number on it. And model number is in very small print. ;-)

    > Wikipedia says they were marketed in some areas with a name and others
    > with a model number.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC
    >
    > Anyway an interesting article with info on the various models.


    Yes it is very good and I have been there before.

    >> 701 = 4G
    >> 702 = 8G (only this model the SSD was replaceable)

    >
    > According to the article some of the 4G Surfs were socketed though no
    > access door. My 2G Surf has the SSD soldered in.


    Yes I remember all 2G the RAM is soldered in. And the only 4Gs that I
    know of besides some of the prototypes were very early versions with a
    very low serial number. I have one of them. And they do in fact have 4G
    soldered on the motherboard. But they also have a SSD socket too. And
    the story is if you plug in a SSD in this socket, the SSD on the MB
    becomes disabled. So what fun is that? Plus they are missing the SSD
    mounting hardware. Although I think two long screws and 6 nuts would
    probably work out okay.

    >> And any of the above was labeled as Surf (i.e. 4G Surf), it means it
    >> doesn't have a webcam. I know for a fact that the 4G models came with
    >> and without a webcam (aka Surf).

    >
    > I think they made special runs for various manufacturers. My 1000HW is
    > a Best Buy run with no webcam and no bluetooth. Other 1000 models had
    > different letter designations and different specs though the same
    > basic model.


    Yes.

    >> And I seem to remember that the 2G
    >> models came with and without a webcam too (I can't swear to it though).

    >
    > Probably the best proof of that is that my 2G Surf has a plugged up
    > webcam hole... ;) (As does my 1000HW)


    One of my 4G is a Surf and it too is the same.

    >> And I can't remember a single 8G model without a webcam (but they could
    >> have existed).

    >
    > If such a no-webcam model exists it would be found at Best Buy... ;)


    ROTFL!

    > BTW while I was Googling around I noticed that Amazon had a couple of
    > used 2G Surfs. $199 and $229... 8-O Heck I got mine new for $199
    > at Target...


    You got me curious and I went looking around for prices. And the prices
    hasn't really came down at all in the past three years. And the SSDs are
    actually a bit higher nowadays for the same sizes than they were before.
    Even RAM prices are the same as they were 3 years ago.

    And it seems nobody is manufacturing 7 inch netbooks anymore. I like
    them because they are the smallest and generally the lightest netbooks.
    If I want larger, I use a laptop. And it seems as used 7 inch netbooks
    are getting harder and harder to find, the prices are going up and not
    down. Now it seems yours is even worth more used than it did when it was
    new. ;-)

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    Xandros Linux (build 2007-10-19 13:03)
    BillW50, Jul 3, 2011
    #11
  12. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 14:05:35 -0500, BillW50 <> wrote:

    > Well on mine, it states the model number on the paper tag with the
    > serial number on it. And model number is in very small print. ;-)


    When I get home I'll have to check again.

    > And it seems nobody is manufacturing 7 inch netbooks anymore. I

    like
    > them because they are the smallest and generally the lightest

    netbooks.

    When I first got mine I took it on all my travels
    but when I got the 1000HD it was so superior
    in every way that the Surf was displaced.
    AJL, Jul 4, 2011
    #12
  13. Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 20:05:35 +0100, BillW50 <> wrote:

    >
    > And it seems nobody is manufacturing 7 inch netbooks anymore. I like
    > them because they are the smallest and generally the lightest netbooks.
    > If I want larger, I use a laptop. And it seems as used 7 inch netbooks
    > are getting harder and harder to find, the prices are going up and not
    > down. Now it seems yours is even worth more used than it did when it was
    > new. ;-)
    >


    Not that your saying it, but the 701, whilst having a 7" screen, is the
    same size ("form factor") as the 901, i.e. it's bigger than 7" across.


    --
    [dash dash space newline sig]

    "Nuns! NUNS! Reverse! Reverse!"
    Esra Sdrawkcab, Jul 4, 2011
    #13
  14. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    In news:eek:p.vx28coj3hswpfo@dell3100,
    Esra Sdrawkcab wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 20:05:35 +0100, BillW50 <> wrote:
    >
    >> And it seems nobody is manufacturing 7 inch netbooks anymore. I like
    >> them because they are the smallest and generally the lightest
    >> netbooks. If I want larger, I use a laptop. And it seems as used 7
    >> inch netbooks are getting harder and harder to find, the prices are
    >> going up and not down. Now it seems yours is even worth more used
    >> than it did when it was new. ;-)

    >
    > Not that your saying it, but the 701, whilst having a 7" screen, is
    > the same size ("form factor") as the 901, i.e. it's bigger than 7"
    > across.


    I'm not seeing it here.

    225mm x 165mm @ 922 grams = All 700 series
    225mm x 170mm @ 990 grams = 900
    248mm x 175.3mm @ 1140 grams = 901

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

    So the 901 is 23mm x 10.3mm larger than the 700 series. Another nice
    thing about the 700 series is that the speakers are alongside of the
    screen. Which sounds a lot better than on the bottom like most other
    netbooks.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jul 4, 2011
    #14
  15. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    In news:,
    AJL wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 14:05:35 -0500, BillW50 <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well on mine, it states the model number on the paper tag with the
    >> serial number on it. And model number is in very small print. ;-)

    >
    > When I get home I'll have to check again.
    >
    >> And it seems nobody is manufacturing 7 inch netbooks anymore. I like
    >> them because they are the smallest and generally the lightest
    >> netbooks.

    >
    > When I first got mine I took it on all my travels
    > but when I got the 1000HD it was so superior
    > in every way that the Surf was displaced.


    I would say the very same thing if I was stuck with Linux and 2G. ;-) I
    used the 8G as a desktop for a few months (external monitor, keyboard,
    etc.). And it worked perfectly fine and it was very useable. I then went
    out of town for 2 months and I only had taken my 8G. No external monitor
    or keyboard this time. And I was thinking I would regret not taking one
    of my laptops. But after two months, I didn't have any regrets and it
    did everything I wanted to do.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jul 4, 2011
    #15
  16. Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:15:26 +0100, BillW50 <> wrote:

    > In news:eek:p.vx28coj3hswpfo@dell3100,
    > Esra Sdrawkcab wrote:
    >> On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 20:05:35 +0100, BillW50 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> And it seems nobody is manufacturing 7 inch netbooks anymore. I like
    >>> them because they are the smallest and generally the lightest
    >>> netbooks. If I want larger, I use a laptop. And it seems as used 7
    >>> inch netbooks are getting harder and harder to find, the prices are
    >>> going up and not down. Now it seems yours is even worth more used
    >>> than it did when it was new. ;-)

    >>
    >> Not that your saying it, but the 701, whilst having a 7" screen, is
    >> the same size ("form factor") as the 901, i.e. it's bigger than 7"
    >> across.

    >
    > I'm not seeing it here.
    >
    > 225mm x 165mm @ 922 grams = All 700 series
    > 225mm x 170mm @ 990 grams = 900
    > 248mm x 175.3mm @ 1140 grams = 901
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC
    >
    > So the 901 is 23mm x 10.3mm larger than the 700 series. Another nice
    > thing about the 700 series is that the speakers are alongside of the
    > screen. Which sounds a lot better than on the bottom like most other
    > netbooks.
    >

    Ah, OK. I once saw someone ask if it'd be possible to put a 900 screen on
    a 701.
    I ass*u*med they were the same size.

    My point, that I failed to make, is that the 701 is significantly bigger
    than 7" across diagonally. (Gets 701 and tape measure) I make it 10 and
    3/4 inches or 275mm in new money. I still want a 901 for the screen size,
    the 701 either doesn't show stuff, or I have to run a virtual screen
    scrolling prog which doesn't quite track where the screen should be.



    --
    [dash dash space newline sig]

    "Nuns! NUNS! Reverse! Reverse!"
    Esra Sdrawkcab, Jul 5, 2011
    #16
  17. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 11:25:11 -0500, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    > I would say the very same thing if I was stuck with Linux and 2G.

    ;-)

    Linux wasn't so bad. I tried XP on it and it left less room and ran
    slower.

    > I used the 8G as a desktop for a few months (external monitor,

    keyboard,
    > etc.). And it worked perfectly fine and it was very useable. I then

    went
    > out of town for 2 months and I only had taken my 8G. No external

    monitor
    > or keyboard this time. And I was thinking I would regret not taking

    one
    > of my laptops. But after two months, I didn't have any regrets and

    it
    > did everything I wanted to do.


    That's what makes it good...if it works for you.

    In my case the 1000HD offered everything a full size laptop had
    except a big screen. It's not that much bigger than the 2G and has a
    better battery life to boot. Ditto on the 1015PE with a 10 hour
    battery life.

    Boy, this Droid is a pain to type on. Turns out this cabin does have
    WiFi. Sure wish I'd brought one of my Eee's...
    AJL, Jul 6, 2011
    #17
  18. Cass_2000

    AJL Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 22:49:51 -0700, AJL <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 14:05:35 -0500, BillW50 <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well on mine, it states the model number on the paper tag with the
    >> serial number on it. And model number is in very small print. ;-)

    >
    >When I get home I'll have to check again.


    I'm home. Nope, no model number unless it's in the Chinese
    characters... ;)
    AJL, Jul 7, 2011
    #18
  19. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On 7/6/2011 9:35 PM, AJL wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 22:49:51 -0700, AJL<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 14:05:35 -0500, BillW50<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well on mine, it states the model number on the paper tag with the
    >>> serial number on it. And model number is in very small print. ;-)

    >>
    >> When I get home I'll have to check again.

    >
    > I'm home. Nope, no model number unless it's in the Chinese
    > characters... ;)


    Hmm... interesting. As all of my 4G and 8G ones have the model number on
    them. And it looks like from Wikipedia, all 2G models were Surf (without
    webcam). I also read that no 702 model was sold with Windows XP on them.
    I know I was looking for one and I couldn't, so maybe it is true.
    Although the 701SD model looks very much like a 702 and also has 8G
    (also removable). But it uses the cheaper MLC SSD instead of the better
    SLC SSD.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jul 9, 2011
    #19
  20. Cass_2000

    BillW50 Guest

    Re: Webcam on PMT! (Pinging: AJL)

    On 7/5/2011 8:15 AM, Esra Sdrawkcab wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:15:26 +0100, BillW50 <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:eek:p.vx28coj3hswpfo@dell3100,
    >> Esra Sdrawkcab wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 20:05:35 +0100, BillW50 <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> And it seems nobody is manufacturing 7 inch netbooks anymore. I like
    >>>> them because they are the smallest and generally the lightest
    >>>> netbooks. If I want larger, I use a laptop. And it seems as used 7
    >>>> inch netbooks are getting harder and harder to find, the prices are
    >>>> going up and not down. Now it seems yours is even worth more used
    >>>> than it did when it was new. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Not that your saying it, but the 701, whilst having a 7" screen, is
    >>> the same size ("form factor") as the 901, i.e. it's bigger than 7"
    >>> across.

    >>
    >> I'm not seeing it here.
    >>
    >> 225mm x 165mm @ 922 grams = All 700 series
    >> 225mm x 170mm @ 990 grams = 900
    >> 248mm x 175.3mm @ 1140 grams = 901
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC
    >>
    >> So the 901 is 23mm x 10.3mm larger than the 700 series. Another nice
    >> thing about the 700 series is that the speakers are alongside of the
    >> screen. Which sounds a lot better than on the bottom like most other
    >> netbooks.
    >>

    > Ah, OK. I once saw someone ask if it'd be possible to put a 900 screen
    > on a 701.
    > I ass*u*med they were the same size.
    >
    > My point, that I failed to make, is that the 701 is significantly bigger
    > than 7" across diagonally. (Gets 701 and tape measure) I make it 10 and
    > 3/4 inches or 275mm in new money. I still want a 901 for the screen
    > size, the 701 either doesn't show stuff, or I have to run a virtual
    > screen scrolling prog which doesn't quite track where the screen should be.


    Ah yes! I can definitely appreciate the larger screen. And the 9 inch
    gets you there the easy way. Although did you ever use AsTray2? As it
    uses a little known feature of downscaling (or sometimes called
    compressed mode) of Intel graphics. And I can use up to 1024x768 without
    scrolling on a 7 inch screen. And that helps a great deal when you need
    to see the whole larger desktop without scrolling.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jul 9, 2011
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Migel
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    744
    Migel
    Dec 1, 2003
  2. RyanA

    Ipaq 2200 Webcam / Camera

    RyanA, Jan 3, 2005, in forum: HP
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    301
    RyanA
    Jan 3, 2005
  3. Eos

    Lates Bios for webcam?

    Eos, Sep 26, 2004, in forum: Packard Bell
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    956
  4. Topper

    Digicam For Webcam Problems

    Topper, Sep 4, 2003, in forum: PC Hardware
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    436
    Topper
    Sep 4, 2003
  5. Paul Christiansen

    CS 330 PC Camera (webcam) - Lost image

    Paul Christiansen, Dec 1, 2004, in forum: Intel
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    315
    Paul Christiansen
    Dec 1, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page