Weird wake from sleep

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michael Vilain, Jul 3, 2012.

  1. I never use sleep mode on my MacPro, so I'm unfamiliar with it. On my
    older machines, with various upgrades to hardware, Sleep stopped working
    so I just let the machine run with a screen saver.

    I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
    sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
    for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark. If I press
    a key or click the trackpad, about 10 seconds later, the screen lights
    up for about 4 seconds and prompts for a password. It's taking me the
    better part of 15 minutes messing with this to try and login. One time
    I just gave up and held the power button until the machine shut down and
    rebooted.

    It takes a good 4-5 minutes to boot, so a working Sleep mode would be
    useful for this system. I've looked at the Energy Saving settings and
    don't know what I should set to to.

    Originally I thought it was a program that was doing this, but it does
    it regardless.

    How can I fix this or does it need to be taken into the Genius Bar to be
    fixed?

    Michael Vilain, Jul 3, 2012

  2. Michael Vilain

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > I never use sleep mode on my MacPro, so I'm unfamiliar with it. On my
    > older machines, with various upgrades to hardware, Sleep stopped working
    > so I just let the machine run with a screen saver.
    >
    > I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
    > sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
    > for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark. If I press
    > a key or click the trackpad, about 10 seconds later, the screen lights
    > up for about 4 seconds and prompts for a password. It's taking me the
    > better part of 15 minutes messing with this to try and login. One time
    > I just gave up and held the power button until the machine shut down and
    > rebooted.

    Check the Security system preference. It is probably set to require a
    password on waking from sleep or even from a screensaver.

    --
    <http://www.decohen.com>
    The Labyrinth of the Heart: Changed Myths for Changing Lives
    Daniel Cohen, Jul 3, 2012

  3. Michael Vilain

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
    > sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
    > for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark.

    If you don't want this, see if or ensure that the "Require password"
    box under Security in the Sys Prefs is unticked.

    > If I press
    > a key or click the trackpad, about 10 seconds later, the screen lights
    > up for about 4 seconds and prompts for a password. It's taking me the
    > better part of 15 minutes messing with this to try and login. One time
    > I just gave up and held the power button until the machine shut down and
    > rebooted.
    >
    > It takes a good 4-5 minutes to boot, so a working Sleep mode would be
    > useful for this system. I've looked at the Energy Saving settings and
    > don't know what I should set to to.

    Go to Energy Saver and try 15 min for Computer sleep and 5 mins for
    display sleep (or whatever you like but less than the Computer sleep).
    Be careful, the scale is unintuitive on the slider, look at the text
    that pops up to the right when you slide.

    Now, say you are rushing off and want to make sure it sleeps:
    deliberately put the computer to sleep by (say) Command Option Eject
    or close the lid.

    If you log out, commanding it to sleep with a mouse on the sleep
    option on the login screen will sleep it but can result in it waking
    suddenly after a few seconds without you doing anything and even if
    you have set it not to wake on network activity in Sys Prefs. It is
    perhaps some bug. What I found to be the most reliable way - when this
    happens is follow up by closing the lid. It then stays asleep.

    My experience is with a desktop monitor connected.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 3, 2012
  4. In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Michael Vilain <> wrote:
    >
    > > I never use sleep mode on my MacPro, so I'm unfamiliar with it. On my
    > > older machines, with various upgrades to hardware, Sleep stopped working
    > > so I just let the machine run with a screen saver.
    > >
    > > I just got a referbed MacBook Pro.

    > Which model and year, specifically?
    >
    > > When I close the lid and put it to
    > > sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
    > > for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark. If I press
    > > a key or click the trackpad, about 10 seconds later, the screen lights
    > > up for about 4 seconds and prompts for a password.

    > Did you install the operating system on this computer, or did someone
    > else? If the latter, I'd highly recommend you erase the hard drive and
    > install a new OS on it.
    >
    > > It's taking me the
    > > better part of 15 minutes messing with this to try and login. One time
    > > I just gave up and held the power button until the machine shut down and
    > > rebooted.

    > That's definitely not normal behavior. Something's wrong.
    >
    > > It takes a good 4-5 minutes to boot

    > And that's very abnormal as well. Have you run the Disk Utility Verify
    > function on the startup drive?
    >
    > >, so a working Sleep mode would be
    > > useful for this system. I've looked at the Energy Saving settings and
    > > don't know what I should set to to.

    > What is it set to now?
    >
    > > Originally I thought it was a program that was doing this, but it does
    > > it regardless.
    > >
    > > How can I fix this or does it need to be taken into the Genius Bar to be
    > > fixed?

    > I'd wipe it and install the OS on it myself, if you haven't already.
    >
    > If you already have, and this is the way the machine has always worked,
    > even with a freshly erased hard drive and new OS install, then I would
    > start suspecting a hardware issue.

    The system came from Apple with a fresh install of Lion on it. It came
    without disks or media but people here have been telling me Lion is a
    network-based install. I've not read up on the new install procedures,
    but I think I'm going to take it back to the Store and ask for copies of
    the original install disks. The person selling it to me said it should
    come with disks.

    I have more info and seemed to have solved the problem, although by
    accident.

    The problem of the Wake from Sleep/4 seconds/Back to sleep only happens
    when I'm logged in and put the system to sleep by closing the lid. I
    have the screen saver set to prompt for a password after 15 minutes. If
    I boot the system and leave it at the login screen, the system goes to
    sleep and wakes just fine. That pointed me to "must be something that's
    started when I login". On login, a ~/Library/StartupItems file was
    flagged as invalid. On the original machine that was the source for the
    migration, XRG and Hyperdock were disabled (I know Hyperdock doesn't
    work on 10.7). I was doing some general housecleaning (don't want Adobe
    on this laptop) and removed all I could find in various places including
    the launch agents/daemons. And I cleaned out that StartupItem.

    Now, the system is sleeping as it should. I suspect that some stub of
    something was left by the migration process that interferred with Sleep.

    So, long story short, "Nevermind" [said in Gilda Radner's voice] and
    thanks for listening.

    Michael Vilain, Jul 4, 2012
  5. In article <>,
    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > The system came from Apple with a fresh install of Lion on it. It came
    > without disks or media but people here have been telling me Lion is a
    > network-based install. I've not read up on the new install procedures,
    > but I think I'm going to take it back to the Store and ask for copies of
    > the original install disks. The person selling it to me said it should
    > come with disks.

    Lion does not have install disks.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, Jul 4, 2012
  6. In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Michael Vilain <> wrote:
    >
    > > I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
    > > sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
    > > for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark.

    > If you don't want this, see if or ensure that the "Require password"
    > box under Security in the Sys Prefs is unticked.

    I don't think he's complaining about the password prompt, but the fact
    that the screen goes dark before he gets a chance to respond to it.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Jul 4, 2012
  7. In article <-september.org>,
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Michael Vilain <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
    > > > sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
    > > > for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark.

    > > If you don't want this, see if or ensure that the "Require password"
    > > box under Security in the Sys Prefs is unticked.

    > I don't think he's complaining about the password prompt, but the fact
    > that the screen goes dark before he gets a chance to respond to it.

    FWIW, I see that on occasion on my early 2011 15" MBP. Not sure what
    causes it, but I found that it seems to only happen when the MBP was
    plugged in, and removing the charging connection gave me the screen
    back. In my case, if the status light on the front is cycling, the
    computer will wake up normally when I open the lid. If it isn't, this
    strangeness will happen. Odd...
    David Fritzinger, Jul 4, 2012