    overclock? Even there is so much new stuff out there I can't make much sence
    out of it.

    The intel core 2 due seems like a good cpu as well.

    mark, Oct 29, 2006

  2. mark wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy a new system, what are some cpus that make a good
    > overclock? Even there is so much new stuff out there I can't make much sence
    > out of it.
    >
    > The intel core 2 due seems like a good cpu as well.

    As far as AMD processors, the A64 3700 San diego is a great buy and
    overclocks pretty well (YMMV). The A64 3800 Venice is a great deal even
    if not overclocked. But it will clock to 2.6ghz without even breaking a
    sweat.

    IMO, the best o/c deal is the 4200 X2. Will easily o/c to 2.6.

    Merrill P. L. Worthington, Oct 29, 2006

  3. mark

    DRS Guest

    "Merrill P. L. Worthington" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    > As far as AMD processors, the A64 3700 San diego is a great buy and
    > overclocks pretty well (YMMV). The A64 3800 Venice is a great deal
    > even if not overclocked. But it will clock to 2.6ghz without even
    > breaking a sweat.
    >
    > IMO, the best o/c deal is the 4200 X2. Will easily o/c to 2.6.

    I run my 939 X2 4200 Manchester at 2.6GHz. I've had it stable at 2.7Ghz but
    I had to up the voltage over AMD's recommended operating range (ie, over
    1.4v) so I pegged it back. My BIOS has enough voltage options to let me
    think it'd probably get to 2.8Ghz but I haven't tried it.

    DRS, Oct 30, 2006
  4. DRS wrote:

    > "Merrill P. L. Worthington" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [...]
    >

    >>As far as AMD processors, the A64 3700 San diego is a great buy and
    >>overclocks pretty well (YMMV). The A64 3800 Venice is a great deal
    >>even if not overclocked. But it will clock to 2.6ghz without even
    >>breaking a sweat.
    >>
    >>IMO, the best o/c deal is the 4200 X2. Will easily o/c to 2.6.

    > I run my 939 X2 4200 Manchester at 2.6GHz. I've had it stable at 2.7Ghz but
    > I had to up the voltage over AMD's recommended operating range (ie, over
    > 1.4v) so I pegged it back. My BIOS has enough voltage options to let me
    > think it'd probably get to 2.8Ghz but I haven't tried it.

    Agree. My results are the same as yours. I'm running a 4200 X2 (its a
    dummied down Toledo core) at 2.6ghz without any voltage change. System
    runs stable, but sometimes doesn't want to complete a restart. Need to
    do a shutdown instead and all is fine.

    I've overclocked the other CPUs as noted above without any voltage changes.

    Merrill P. L. Worthington, Oct 30, 2006
  5. mark

    Eric Parker Guest

    "mark" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to buy a new system, what are some cpus that make a good
    > overclock? Even there is so much new stuff out there I can't make
    > much sence out of it.
    >
    > The intel core 2 due seems like a good cpu as well.

    I've recently got a A64 3200+ Venice S939.
    This becomes unstable at 2650 MHz stock voltage but runs quite happily
    at 2600 (24 hours prime95).
    So I'm getting 30% overclock.
    Others I've had wouldn't go that high so easily.
    If price isn't an issue get an FX, you'll get more overclocking
    options.

    If I was starting afresh I'd go with Core 2 Duo.
    I've been recommending/using AMD for 6 years or more now but Intel
    seem to have been shocked into action.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

    Eric Parker, Oct 30, 2006
  6. mark

    > DRS wrote:

    [...]

    >> I run my 939 X2 4200 Manchester at 2.6GHz. I've had it stable at
    >> 2.7Ghz but I had to up the voltage over AMD's recommended operating
    >> range (ie, over 1.4v) so I pegged it back. My BIOS has enough voltage
    >> options to
    >> let me think it'd probably get to 2.8Ghz but I haven't tried it.

    > Agree. My results are the same as yours. I'm running a 4200 X2 (its
    > a dummied down Toledo core) at 2.6ghz without any voltage change. System
    > runs stable, but sometimes doesn't want to complete a restart.
    > Need to do a shutdown instead and all is fine.

    I've now got 4 sticks of RAM and I've found the extra stress on the memory
    controller requires increasing the voltage for stability.

    DRS, Oct 30, 2006
  7. mark

    mike6 Guest

    well i picked up a amd64 x2 4400 toledo core at newegg for 200.00 oc's
    niceley , im very happy with it , i run multiple apps and get no
    slowdown or stutter at all. very nice chip

    mike6, Oct 30, 2006
  8. mark

    RICHARD Guest

    Is the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz CPU @ $150 a better OC option then the
    AMD OpteronT Processor Model 148 2.2 ghz @ $36 shipped? Both single core 1mb
    cashe of course.
    Dick

    RICHARD, Nov 1, 2006
  9. mark

    Augustus Guest

    "RICHARD" <> wrote in message
    > Is the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz CPU @ $150 a better OC option then the
    > AMD OpteronT Processor Model 148 2.2 ghz @ $36 shipped? Both single core
    > 1mb cashe of course.

    Where, exactly, are you getting an FX-55 for $150 or an Opteron 148 for $36?
    I don't think a link exists...

    Augustus, Nov 2, 2006
  10. mark

    buzzard Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 05:27:07 GMT, "Augustus" <>
    wrote:

    >"RICHARD" <> wrote in message
    >> Is the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz CPU @ $150 a better OC option then the
    >> AMD OpteronT Processor Model 148 2.2 ghz @ $36 shipped? Both single core
    >> 1mb cashe of course.

    >Where, exactly, are you getting an FX-55 for $150 or an Opteron 148 for $36?
    >I don't think a link exists...

    They're more like $199, but you can get a free 250g seagate HD with
    it, and there's an on again off again AMD promo for considerable
    change if you use the magic "AMDROCKS" password or whatever they
    call that stuff.

    Getting the $219 retail version will get you a good heatpipe
    heatsink and a real warranty for $19 more.

    Personally, I kind of like those dual core 2.6ghz processors at
    $300. I might wait and see what happens later.

    buzzard, Nov 2, 2006
  11. mark

    RICHARD Guest

    I still didn`t get an answer and the 148 deal has expired!
    http://www.bensbargains.net/
    newegg on FX-55 & page computer on 148

    RICHARD, Nov 4, 2006
  12. mark

    buzzard Guest

    On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 08:51:00 -0500, "RICHARD" <>
    wrote:

    >I still didn`t get an answer and the 148 deal has expired!

    Poor baby. Hey they want your money. Check again.

    AMDROCKS50.

    139.99

    Til tuesday.

    ram, HD, or motherboard included.

    Of course newegg will make up a lot of money on two sticks of
    overpriced ram.

    buzzard, Nov 6, 2006