    w/Zalman V700cu and it idled about mid 40's. Being summer the temps
    are going to rise because it is in the 30's here, just want to make
    sure these temps are not too high.

    Gank, Jun 28, 2006

  2. Gank

    First of One Guest

    What's the temperature like under load? It's the only number that matters.

    First of One, Jun 28, 2006

  3. Gank

    Gank Guest

    "First of One" <> wrote in message
    > What's the temperature like under load? It's the only number that matters.

    I went and ran 3DMark and set the temp monitor to continue logging and to
    warn me if it had to lower clock speeds to keep cool enough. When I went
    back in after running 3DMark I didn't see the temps logged and the temp
    shown was still 58c. I looked in the Nvidia folder hoping it created a log
    file of the temps but didn't see one. I guess I have to run a game and then
    minimize to see what the temps are during load.

    Gank, Jun 29, 2006
  4. Gank

    Corvus Guest

    "Gank" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "First of One" <> wrote in message
    >> What's the temperature like under load? It's the only number that
    >> matters.
    >>

    > I went and ran 3DMark and set the temp monitor to continue logging and to
    > warn me if it had to lower clock speeds to keep cool enough. When I went
    > back in after running 3DMark I didn't see the temps logged and the temp
    > shown was still 58c. I looked in the Nvidia folder hoping it created a log
    > file of the temps but didn't see one. I guess I have to run a game and
    > then minimize to see what the temps are during load.

    RivaTuner is fine for Temp logging. For MBM users there is a NVIDIA plugin
    at www.dfistreet.com.

    Corvus, Jun 29, 2006
  5. Gank

    youth Guest

    "Gank" <> wrote in message

    > "First of One" <> wrote in message
    >> What's the temperature like under load? It's the only number that
    >> matters.
    >>

    > I went and ran 3DMark and set the temp monitor to continue logging and to
    > warn me if it had to lower clock speeds to keep cool enough. When I went
    > back in after running 3DMark I didn't see the temps logged and the temp
    > shown was still 58c. I looked in the Nvidia folder hoping it created a log
    > file of the temps but didn't see one. I guess I have to run a game and
    > then minimize to see what the temps are during load.

    The card cools pretty quickly so doing that might not give you a good
    reading as I think the 3d processing stops when you minimize or alt-tab?
    What I do to monitor realtime is run dualview which in my case I have a HDTV
    connected & have the nvidia temp applet open in the second monitor while my
    game runs on the main.

    g;day
    youth

    youth, Jun 29, 2006
  6. Gank

    First of One Guest

    Use the artifact checker in ATiTool (works for nVidia cards) to heat up the
    GPU:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

    It runs in a window, so you can have the control panel temperature display
    running in the background.

    First of One, Jun 30, 2006
  7. Gank

    > Use the artifact checker in ATiTool (works for nVidia cards) to heat up
    > the GPU:
    > http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
    >
    > It runs in a window, so you can have the control panel temperature display
    > running in the background.

    Great, thx for the link. I ran it for 5 minutes and the temp peaked at 77c.
    I have volt mods on my case fans so I think I should maybe remove them and
    run the fans at stock rpm. My temps seem a little high compared to what I
    saw in a review of 7900 cards at Anandtech. Mind you, like I said
    previously, the weather is quite warm here lately so the ambient temps are
    quite high.

    Gank, Jun 30, 2006
  8. Gank

    First of One Guest

    77C at max load is hardly worth noticing. The GPU can run at 90 C
    continuously without issue. The thermal shutdown threshold is something like
    120 C, if I remember correctly.

    Your video card, if from a reputable manufacturer, was probably qualified to
    50 C ambient temps. I mean, there are customers in Middle Eastern
    countries...

    First of One, Jun 30, 2006
  9. Gank

    > 77C at max load is hardly worth noticing. The GPU can run at 90 C
    > continuously without issue. The thermal shutdown threshold is something
    > like 120 C, if I remember correctly.
    >
    > Your video card, if from a reputable manufacturer, was probably qualified
    > to 50 C ambient temps. I mean, there are customers in Middle Eastern
    > countries...

    OK, I'm not getting any problems so I guess I should just be happy with it.
    It's an eVGA KO card. Thanks.

    Gank, Jun 30, 2006