    apps is just an excuse to do nothing. What has happened
    to them?

    johns

    johns, May 10, 2004

  2. johns

    Larc Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 11:06:47 -0700, "johns" <>
    wrote:

    | Is Matrox going out of business or something? They
    | seem totally stuck regards development in line with
    | modern standards. I've used their cards in my CAD
    | labs for ages, but now, do they even have an 8x AGP
    | card?

    Sure! Most Parhelias, P750 and P650.

    Larc

    Larc, May 11, 2004

  3. johns

    johns Guest

    > Sure! Most Parhelias, P750 and P650.

    Ads I just read say AGP 4x on both ?? Must be a
    typo? Still, there is absolutely no talk on this group
    about gaming on a Matrox card. Is that because
    they can't do it? What I see happening is the game
    cards are pulling ahead to the point that the mobo
    designers are not going to cater to the "business"
    or CAD cards anymore. Seems stupid to lag so far
    behind, and still charge a whopping fee for a sub-
    standard video card. For example, the Gigabyte
    mobos are putting out several combo boards with
    video embedded .. at 8 meg .. but will use 128 meg
    of system ram. In testing, I have found that mobo
    does just as well in business apps and CAD as any
    of the so-called high end 2D cards. That combo board
    costs $45. If Matrox doesn't get off its butt, it is done.

    johns

    johns, May 11, 2004
  4. johns

    Rick Guest

    "johns" <> wrote in message news:c7rim4$dfr$...

    > > Sure! Most Parhelias, P750 and P650.

    > Ads I just read say AGP 4x on both ?? Must be a
    > typo? Still, there is absolutely no talk on this group
    > about gaming on a Matrox card. Is that because
    > they can't do it? What I see happening is the game
    > cards are pulling ahead to the point that the mobo
    > designers are not going to cater to the "business"
    > or CAD cards anymore. Seems stupid to lag so far
    > behind, and still charge a whopping fee for a sub-
    > standard video card. For example, the Gigabyte
    > mobos are putting out several combo boards with
    > video embedded .. at 8 meg .. but will use 128 meg
    > of system ram. In testing, I have found that mobo
    > does just as well in business apps and CAD as any
    > of the so-called high end 2D cards. That combo board
    > costs $45. If Matrox doesn't get off its butt, it is done.

    Where have you been the last four or so years? Matrox hasn't
    been in the gaming card business in any serious way for ages.

    The way I understand the story, there was an exodus of
    programmers from Matrox to Nvidia (and elsewhere) several
    years ago, and Matrox has yet to recover. Nor have they
    shown any particular interest in doing so. During this period,
    when Nvidia and ATI were doubling and tripling 3D gaming
    performance every year, Matrox gave us "headcasting" and
    other useless marketing nonsense.

    Rick

    Rick, May 12, 2004
  5. johns

    Larc Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 03:28:50 -0700, "Rick" <> wrote:

    | The way I understand the story, there was an exodus of
    | programmers from Matrox to Nvidia (and elsewhere) several
    | years ago, and Matrox has yet to recover. Nor have they
    | shown any particular interest in doing so. During this period,
    | when Nvidia and ATI were doubling and tripling 3D gaming
    | performance every year, Matrox gave us "headcasting" and
    | other useless marketing nonsense.

    And it seems fewer dealers are selling Matrox products as time passes.
    A mom and pop shop near me carried Matrox for years, but no longer.
    They said they thought they'd never sell the last ones they had in
    stock. Unfortunately, we Matrox fans are in a shrinking community.

    Larc

    Larc, May 13, 2004
  6. johns

    Mutley Guest

    Larc <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 May 2004 03:28:50 -0700, "Rick" <> wrote:
    >
    >| The way I understand the story, there was an exodus of
    >| programmers from Matrox to Nvidia (and elsewhere) several
    >| years ago, and Matrox has yet to recover. Nor have they
    >| shown any particular interest in doing so. During this period,
    >| when Nvidia and ATI were doubling and tripling 3D gaming
    >| performance every year, Matrox gave us "headcasting" and
    >| other useless marketing nonsense.
    >
    >And it seems fewer dealers are selling Matrox products as time passes.
    >A mom and pop shop near me carried Matrox for years, but no longer.
    >They said they thought they'd never sell the last ones they had in
    >stock. Unfortunately, we Matrox fans are in a shrinking community.
    >
    >Larc
    >

    > §§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§

    Unfortunately you are correct. Matrox cards I found are all ways very
    stable compared with some of the current "Gee Wiz" cards..

    Mutley, May 13, 2004