What has Parallels done with my Start Menu?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by wm_walsh@hotmail.com, Dec 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I upgraded to Parallels for Mac version 3.0 some time ago. Whether I
    should have or not, I performed an in-place upgrade of the old version
    (2.5) to 3.0. I have exactly one VM...a Windows XP Professional based
    setup.

    With that came the need to update the Parallels Tools, which I also
    did. The installer locked up partway through this process and I had to
    kill it. The failure occurred while the Tools installer was
    enumerating and installing drivers for the virtualized hardware.

    Later I ran the installer again, and it worked fine.

    However, with the Tools installed, the entire task bar and start menu
    disappear! I am not using Coherence mode. I can still summon the Start
    Menu by hitting the Apple key, but the only way to get the entire
    taskbar back is to kill EXPLORER.EXE and start it again from the Task
    Manager.

    I don't understand what is going on here. I cannot find any setting
    within Parallels to change this behavior, and it does not happen if
    the Tools are uninstalled.

    Searching the web didn't seem to turn up much, other than someone with
    the same problem who never got an answer on the Parallels forums. I
    feel this could mean that I need to reinstall Windows into a fresh
    virtual environment. I don't mind doing that, but I would like to know
    that doing so would solve the problem for sure.

    William

    , Dec 21, 2007