    refill seemingly expired ink tanks and resurrect seemingly dead printheads.

    I'll post pictures and describe the process and reference URLs on the
    Internet in subsequent postings. Stay tuned.
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008

  2. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:31:46 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:

    > What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejet d145
    > printer is going to go into this thread.

    First, let's reference some URLs on the topic because nobody starts from
    scratch - even with HP printers where HP doesn't want you to know what we
    know now - but we had to break things to learn all of this...

    1. This site almost shows how to take apart the HP #14 printheads for
    repair & refill (I'll show more complete steps later) ...
    http://img523.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bent9si.jpg

    2. Here is the section of a long thread describing the process to take
    apart the printheads to repair them (remember, an empty printhead will burn
    out so you MUST keep them full to cool the heating elements)!
    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/27744#178

    3. And, here is the relevant description (verbatim):
    Re: THE FIRST GUIDE IN TAKING BACK YOUR HP OFFICEJ
    by vincentg (6/23/06 5:32 AM)
    Printhead disassembly:
    Pull the round part that is on a rail.
    It is pretty hard to pull out
    (I used a flat screwdriver to set it loose).
    Don't worry too much about breaking something;
    from my experience, this part isn't fragile.
    Next, using a tiny flat screwdriver, lift the 3 clips that are holding the
    top of the printhead on the frame.
    These look a little more fragile, so don't pull too hard.
    When the top is open, be very careful not to lose the rubber seal
    (especially if you're doing this above a sink).
    Wash all the parts of the printhead in warm water (plunge everything in
    water).
    When it looks clean, fill 3/4 of the printhead with ink.
    Before closing the lid, make sure the rubber seal is well in place.
    The printhead should leak from the bottom for a few minutes.
    That is normal.
    If it leaks from the top, it means the rubber seal isn't properly set:
    you should open the printhead put the rubber seal in the right place
    (on the lid part of the printhead) and close it again.

    When the printhead looks clean, put it back in the printer.
    In my case, the printhead didn't work right away.
    At first, it wouldn't print at all.
    After a few days, i tried printing again, and it worked perfectly.

    So don't despair if it doesn't work right away.
    Just wait for 2-3 days.

    The only thing left to do now is to choose between scrubbing your hands
    with windex or spend the next few days answering questions from curious
    coworkers..
    I chose windex, but after due considerations, i'm not sure it was worth the
    smell... ;)
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008

  3. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:43:45 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    http://land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/letters/hpPrinters.php

    This URL points to a reasonably good summary of how the general populace
    might feel when confronted with a perfectly good ink sponge that's
    "expired" prematurely ... or when encountering a printhead that is easy to
    fix.

    Particularly, it contains pictures of how to reset the CMOS date so that
    the onerous HP ink tank expiration dates are no longer a problem.

    Here's the relevant cut and paste, verbatim:
    I opened the clam-like cartridge access to my printer (d125xi),
    and looked for a battery. At first I didn't see it, but I was
    determined. Finally, I saw it. On the left inside, near the
    front of the machine, was a small button-type battery, held
    in place by a spring clip.

    First, I disconnected the power and the printer cable,
    just to be sure. Then, I reached inside and carefully
    removed the battery. I waited for about an hour, and then
    reinserted the battery and plugged everything back in.
    Viola! I was able to make a copy.

    Tried printing-- that worked too.

    I'm certain now that if I'd known this trick a few months ago,
    I could have saved the money I had to spend on a printhead too.
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  4. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:48:45 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service...447626 1215337736359 28353475&threadId=746562

    This forum article contains lots of good information ... and, it referenced
    probably one of the best HP Officejet D145 fixityourself articles at

    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/27744

    Only some of which I reproduce here .......
    I HAVE GOTTEN AN OFFICEJET D135 FOR FREE, AND FOR GOOD REASON. BOTH INK
    TANKS WERE NEAR FULL AND EXPIRED, AND ALL 4 PRINT HEADS ARE DRY AS A BONE.
    BELOW IS A PLAY BY PLAY ON 1.) RESETTING A D135 TO USE EXPIRED CART'S AND
    2.) MAKING OLD DYING PRINT HEADS (THAT GIVE YOU THE IDS FAILURE CALL HP
    MESSAGE)...

    A.) RESETTING THE PRINTER TO ACCEPT ANY TANKS
    1. UNPLUG THE PRINTER FROM BOTH THE COMPUTER AND POWER
    SUPPLY

    2. USE A SMALL SCREWDRIVER OR SOMETHING ABOUT 1/8" IN DIAMATER TO PUSH OUT
    THE HINGE PINS ON THE 2 MAIN SUPPORT WHEN YOU OPEN THE PRINTER TO SERVICE
    IT (BE WARNED *NOT* TO OPEN THE PRINTER UP TO FAST, OR TO FAR WITH THE PINS
    OUT!! I DID THIS AND DIDN'T REALIZE THE TOP PRINTER COVER WOULD REACH its
    OPENING POINT, AS SUCH HAD TO GLUE BACK THE HINGE POINTS ON THE TOP SCANNER
    COVER!!)

    3.) WITH THE TOP FULLY OPEN, AND HINGES OUT, YOU CAN SEE MUCH BETTER INTO
    THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PRINTER. THERE RIGHT INFRONT OF YOU IS A 3.3V STANDARD
    CMOS/BIOS BATTERY YOUR USED TO SEEING IN YOUR PC. USE A PAPERCLIP, SMALL
    PLYERS WHATEVER TO GET IT OUT, AND LEAVE IT OUT OVER AN HOUR.

    4.) REVERSE THE ABOUT STEPS TO HE LETTER, INSTALLING THE BATTERY FIRST.
    WHEN YOUR PRINTER NOW STARTS THE TIME WILL BE JAN 00 00 00:00 - DON'T
    WORRY, FOR SOME REASON IF YOU USE THE DIRECTOR SOFTWARE AVAIL. ON THE HP
    WEBSITE, AND DIRECT LINK THE TIME/DATE WITH THE COMPUTER, THE PRINTER WILL
    AUTO CORRECT ITSELF EVERYTIME YOU START THE PRINTER TO GET AWAY FROM THE
    JAN 00 00 00:00. IT'S A PROBLEM IN THE HARDWARE IN THE PRINTER, ASSUMING IT
    ONLY CHECK THE FLASHED ROM ON THE PRINTER CART'S ON POWERUP, IN WHICH THE
    TIME SAYS JAN 00 00 00:00, AND ALL IS GOOD. I AM CURRENTLY USING A COLOR
    CART THAT IS 13 MONTHS EXPIRED. AND UNLIKE WHAT HP WILL TELL YOU, TANKS
    NEVER WILL EXPIRE, THEY ARE SPONGES - PLAIN AN SIMPLE -... NEXT, HOW TO FIX
    YOUR PRINT HEADS, AND GET AWAY FROM THE "IDS FAILURE - CALL HP" MESSAGE.

    B.) CLEANING AND FIXING YOUR HP D135 PRINT HEADS

    1.) FIRST MESSAGE OF WARNING, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE FUNDS FOR NEW INK
    CART'S OR AS I'M ASSUMING KNOW HOW TO SAVE HUNDREADS AND REFILL YOUR OWN
    TANKS.

    2.) ALL HP INKS ARE PIGMENT BASED, IN A WATER SOLUTION. THAT SAID, LIKE
    WATERCOLORS, GUESS WHAT CLEANS HP INKS?? WATER OR BETTER YET SOMETHING WITH
    A BIT OF HOUSEHOLD AMMONIUM - WINDEX. I STARTED WITH A PRINTER THAT HAD
    BEEN LEFT IN A TRUNK FOR 4 MONTHS, AND DEAD, AND ENDED WITH ONE THAT CAN
    PRINT AMAZING COLOR - GLOSSY PRINTS.

    3.) QUITE SIMPLY, TAKE A PLATE YOUR NEVER GOING TO USE AGAIN, AND NO NOT
    PAPER, A ROLL OF PAPER TOWEL, AND A BOTTLE OF WINDEX. SIMPLY TEAR OFF ABOUT
    4 - 5 SHEETS OF PAPER TOWEL, SOAK WITH WINDEX, AND SET YOUR PRINTHEADS (JET
    SIDE DOWN ON THE TOWEL) AS WE ALL KNOW THERE ARE 4 PRINT HEADS, AND THE
    DON'T LAY FLAT TO EXPOSE ALL THE INKJETS, I PUT TAPE BETWEEN 2 SETS, TO GET
    THEM TO HAVE MAX INKJET EXPOSURE, THEN SET 2 - 3 LBS OF WEIGHT ON THEM
    (THINK SMALL BOOK). LET THEM SET FOR A FEW HOURS TO OVERNIGHT. A FEW HOURS
    FOR A LOT OF CLOGS, OVERNIGHT IF THEY ARE NOT PRINTING AT ALL. YOU CAN TELL
    FROM A TEST PRINT PAGE REPORT (*3 *5). IF YOU GET AN IDS OR DEAD HEAD
    ERROR, PRESS ENTER AND IT WILL PRINT ANYWAY.

    4.) THE SCIENCE BEHIND WHY THIS WORKS. WINDEX IS 90%+ WATER A MOSTLY THE
    REST AMMONIUM. INKJETS USE TINY HEAT ELEMENTS TO "SPRAY" INK ON THE PAGE.
    IF THEY HAVE DRIED INK UP IN THE ELEMENT, OR THE PIPE TO THE NOZZEL, ALL
    THE CLEAN CYCLES IN THE WORLD WON'T WORK (TRUST ME, I TRIED). THE WINDEX,
    WORKS IN REVERSE, THE WATER/AMMONIA SOLUTION WORKS BACKWARDS UP THE PIPE,
    VIA THE NOZZLE INTO THE HEATER AND HEAD ITSELF.

    5.) AFTER A FEW DOZEN PRINT CYCLES, THIS WILL FIX ANY LEVEL OF CLOG!! MIND
    YOU, YOU MAY HAVE TO RE-WINDEX IF YOU GET ANY IDS ERRORS, BUT MINE HAVE
    HAPPENED ONCE SINCE MY INITAL 3 HOUR SOAKING IN WINDEX, AND ONLY TO THE
    CYAN.

    HOPE THIS LITTLE GUIDE HELPS, IT'S MY FIRST, I WILL START WRITING MORE AS I
    CAN FIND THE TIME, AND THE NEED. IT'S HP NOW MAKES THE COMMON PERSON THINK
    TANKS CAN EXPIRE, AND HEADS ARE EVER DEAD... IF YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU CAN
    REFILL YOUR TANKS USUALLY 4 - 6 TIMES WITH A 20.00 REFILL KIT OFF E-BAY. AS
    WITH ALL THINGS E-BAY MAKE SURE YOUR SUPPLIER USES GOOD QUALITY INKS
    (PIGMENT/DYE BASED - THERE IS A DIFFRENCE!!) AND LOOK AT THE SAVINGS, 20.00
    FOR A BLACK/CMY COLOR REFILL KIT) OR OVER 300.00 FOR THE SAME NEW TANKS AT
    A LOCAL RETAIL SHOP!!

    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/27744
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  5. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:53:43 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    Keep in mind, the expiration dates CAN be defeated (as shown in the prior
    article).... but if you don't defeat the arbitrary expiration dates, this
    is what you'll be confronted with .......

    HP officejet d145

    Disable ink drop counting:
    1. Press both + and - arrow buttons at the same time
    2. Release both + and - arrow buttons at the same time
    3. Press buttons 4, then 5, then 6 in quick sequence
    4. Press 1 (yes) when it asks you to disable color ink drop counting
    5. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above
    6. Press buttons 7, then 8, then 9 in quick sequence
    4. Press 1 (yes) when it asks you to disable black ink drop counting

    Manufacture date = warranty expiry date - 30 months
    Warranty expiry date = YYYY/MM/DD printed on ink cartridge
    Suggested install-by date = warranty expiry date - 12 months
    Install date = date first installed in hp officejet d145
    Package printed date = warranty expiry date - 3 months
    In-service expiry date = install date + 30 months
    Cartridge expiry date = warranty expiry date + 24 months

    Example:
    Manufacture date = November 03, 2006
    Warranty expiry date = May 03, 2007 (printed as 2007/05/03)
    Suggested install-by date = May 03, 2008
    Install date = June 12, 2008 (for example)
    Package printed date = February 03, 2009
    In-service expiry date = December 12, 2010
    Cartridge expiry date = May 03, 2011

    All this can be defeated as shown previously (open the CMOS battery circuit
    for an hour). Keep in mind, the HP #14 ink tanks are just a sponge filled
    with ink. Nothing more. Nothing less. There's no reason they should expire
    if you keep them filled (HP diatribes to the contrary notwithstanding).

    Also bear in mind, the HP "ink drop counting" system is designed to prevent
    you from refilling, not to prevent the printheads from running dry and
    burning out the heating elements due to loss of water cooling! The proof is
    in the fact that HP could have measured the ink itself but that would be
    too easy - HP insists on measuring the "original" ink drops consumed and
    expiring the tank when that original ink was consumed even if a full tank
    of better quality ink exists in reality. Sigh. (Of course, they'll wax
    eloquently about the "quality" of the ink causing "damage" but guess what
    ..... they're full of it as their actions betray their true intent).
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  6. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 03:01:23 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    BTW, before I realized what solvent to use to clean the dried ink in the
    printheads, I tried water, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, and windex
    (ammonia).

    My hands were full of ink.

    Guess what cleaned the water-soluble ink off the best?

    Nope.

    Water worked just OK. Alcohol sucked. Windex (in combination with water)
    worked best. Vinegar didn't do diddly squat.

    So, here's what I recommend:
    a. Use Windex (ammonia) solutions to clean the printheads bottom
    b. Use Alcohol (isopropyl) solutions to clean the printhead electrical
    contacts

    Why the alcohol for the electrical contacts?
    Cuz they're not that filthy (so it works well enough) and 'cuz alcohol
    dries very quickly so water conduction won't short anything out.
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  7. Here's what I learned the hard way for refilling the HP ink tanks for the
    HP d145 officejet printer.

    Don't drill a hole in the top of the tank like the refill kits recommend.
    Ignore that and just flip the tri-color and black tanks upside down.

    Simply drip high quality refill ink onto the sponge at the bottom
    That's it. Refill until the sponge is nice and soaking wet.
    A few paper towels will soak up whatever spills out.

    BTW, yellow goes fast!

    And, of course, don't ever let the sponge dry out as it shrinks away from
    the sides of the tank and makes a huge mess when you refill it and takes
    days (perhaps never) to regain its former shape.

    PS: The ink from HP is water soluble so your pictures will be too. Also,
    the ink isn't archival quality from HP. Best to get ink that is archival
    quality from a printing shop which is extremely cheap compared to the
    horrendously expensive low-quality HP ink supplied as OEM.
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  8. HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  9. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 03:18:20 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    One VERY IMPORTANT thing I learned the hard way!

    When fixing printheads, especially if you've boiled them or soaked them,
    you MUST refill the small tanks inside the printhead.

    On the web, the only known method (prior to this post) was to disassemble
    the printhead (photos to be shown) and dripping some ink inside.
    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/27744#178
    http://img523.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bent9si.jpg

    But wait!

    You do NOT have to disassemble the HP #14 printhead to refill it!

    You can just remove the round spacer (see photos to be referenced) and then
    drip the ink in via the handful of channels under that round removable
    cylinder.

    This is good 'cuz removing the cylinder rarely breaks the printhead but
    removing the next three clips is a very delicate operation.

    If you just drip ink inside the channels under the positioning cylinder,
    then you don't have to remove the three clips and you win big time!

    This is the ONLY place on the net where this procedure is described so take
    note!
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  10. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 03:25:09 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    I posted a few dozen pictures of the HP #14 printheads being taken apart
    and refilled after a thorough cleaning ....

    I'm not sure what the URL is but it's a new myspace account that I created
    with my email address so that I could post pictures.

    I was limited to 60 files so I posted those that I thought would be helpful
    to others who have a need to refill and repair their HP #14 printheads.

    I'm not used to facebook but I think this is the profile with the 60 pics
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  11. HP d145 Printer

    measekite Guest

    Re: What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejetd145 printer

    HP d145 Printer wrote:
    > What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejet d145
    > printer is going to go into this thread.
    >
    > I broke a lot, spilled a lot, cursed a lot, and tried a lot ..... and I
    > just want you to benefit from what I learned so I'll try to put it in this
    > thread.

    Just like I said.

    measekite, Jul 6, 2008
  12. HP d145 Printer

    HP d145 Printer wrote:
    > On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 03:01:23 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    > BTW, before I realized what solvent to use to clean the dried ink in the
    > printheads, I tried water, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, and windex
    > (ammonia).
    >
    > My hands were full of ink.
    >
    > Guess what cleaned the water-soluble ink off the best?
    >
    > Nope.
    >
    > Water worked just OK. Alcohol sucked. Windex (in combination with water)
    > worked best. Vinegar didn't do diddly squat.
    >
    > So, here's what I recommend:

    Buy a Canon printer and use Canon ink. Then you do not have to go
    through this crap and waste your time.

    measekite, Jul 6, 2008
  13. HP d145 Printer

    HP d145 Printer wrote:
    > Here's what I learned the hard way for refilling the HP ink tanks for the
    > HP d145 officejet printer.
    >
    > Don't drill a hole in the top of the tank like the refill kits recommend.
    > Ignore that and just flip the tri-color and black tanks upside down.
    >
    > Simply drip high quality refill ink

    There is none
    > onto the sponge at the bottom
    > That's it. Refill until the sponge is nice and soaking wet.
    > A few paper towels will soak up whatever spills out.

    What a mess

    measekite, Jul 6, 2008
  14. HP d145 Printer

    FB Guest

    Re: What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejetd145 printer

    meashershithead, the oem ink drinking idiot moron POS loser wrote:

    Aren't you the same fruitcake loser who was changing everyone's post who
    disagreed with you over at the printer ng? That was you wasn't it, remember?
    We all complained to your ISP and you eventually stopped doing it!

    Also are you the stupid idiot piece of shit who capitalized each and
    every word in ever post over at the printer ng until we all complained
    once again to your ISP?
    Remember?

    Also are you not the dumb fukkin son of a bitch piece of shit who
    continues to post in HTML even thought everyone in all of the ng's
    you're in has complained about it and told you to stop doing it?
    Remember

    Are you not the asshole who did all of that? You were weren't you!

    Would you like your ISP to get so many abuse complaints about you once
    again that they think they're getting DDOS, huh?

    Are you really as dense and as stupid and ignorant and as fukkin dumb as
    you seem to be?
    Are you?
    You are right!

    And aren't you a declared austrian fascist, an atheist and a bigot?
    You did proclaim to be all of those didn't you.

    Take my advice meashershithead, get fukkin lost you idiot moron piece of
    shit loser!
    Frank

    want to know more about this asshole loser?
    Go here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups/pro...ADEx8x8Ar5cT9MycNaTjCAv8rhlH0Pnl47z4AZhN98BFg
    FB, Jul 6, 2008
  15. HP d145 Printer

    FB Guest

    Re: What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejetd145 printer

    NO SPAMMING ALLOWED!!!
    FB, Jul 6, 2008
  16. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:20:07 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:

    > On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 03:25:09 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    > I posted a few dozen pictures of the HP #14 printheads being taken apart
    > and refilled after a thorough cleaning ....
    > I'm not used to facebook but I think this is the profile with the 60 pics
    > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1354783432

    Drat. I don't think the facebook thing works even though I made the
    pictures available to everybody. I need to figure out the URL better or use
    a different free picture posting service that can handle 60 photos at a
    time.

    PS I'm not sure what all that stuff is from measekit and FB but I don't see
    how it added any value so I'm gonna ignore them.
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  17. On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 09:48:33 -0700, measekite wrote:

    > Buy a Canon printer and use Canon ink. Then you do not have to go
    > through this crap and waste your time.

    I'd like to ditch that crappy HP printer if for no other reason that I
    constantly get a "scanner failure" message and HP makes it miserable, on
    purpose, to refill the ink!

    Which Canon do people recommend for home use that ...
    a) Print lasting pictures (archival quality, colorfast, not water soluble)
    b) Print to the EDGE of the paper
    c) Allow easy refilling of the ink & printhead maintenance

    Note the HP Officejet D145 does NONE of those three important items.

    Which printers have these three basic printing qualities?
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  18. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:31:46 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    I uploaded about 60 photos to a new flicker account so that you could see
    exactly what's inside an HP #14 printhead and so that you can see the right
    way and plenty of wrong ways to open the cartridge up for refilling and
    repair!

    Let me know if you can see these pics as the myspace idea failed.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/28335224@N06/

    Hopefully, these 60 photos show you exactly how to properly refill the HP
    Officejet D145 printer printheads without having to take them apart!

    AFAIK, this is the ONLY place on the entire Internet with this type of
    information and pictures (the only other places have you take apart the
    printhead but I found out how to refill them without having to take them
    apart).

    Same with the ink cartridges as I noted previously --- you do NOT need to
    drill a hole or remove the top tape of the HP #14 ink tank.

    Check out the photos for the details and let me know what you think!
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 6, 2008
  19. HP d145 Printer

    HP d145 Printer wrote:

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 09:48:33 -0700, measekite wrote:

    Buy a Canon printer and use Canon ink. Then you do not have to go through this crap and waste your time.

    I'd like to ditch that crappy HP printer if for no other reason that I constantly get a "scanner failure" message and HP makes it miserable, on purpose, to refill the ink! Which Canon do people recommend for home use that ... a) Print lasting pictures (archival quality, colorfast, not water soluble) b) Print to the EDGE of the paper

    Canon Pro9500

    c) Allow easy refilling of the ink & printhead maintenance

    None do but as long as you use Canon ink you will not have a problem.

    measekite, Jul 6, 2008
  20. On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:19:42 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
    > Let me know if you can see these pics as the myspace idea failed.
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/28335224@N06/

    BTW, do you guys know how we can tell if the bad printhead is an
    unsalvageable burned out printhead versus just clogged up (which can be
    salvaged)?
    HP d145 Printer, Jul 7, 2008