What is a function driver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Martin Magnusson, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. I'm having some USB problems. I can't use my USB memory/MP3 player
    because Windows says that the USB device drivers aren't correctly
    installed, and when I try to reinstall them (from C:\Win\inf\usb.inf) I
    get an error message saying that "The installation failed because a
    function driver was not specified for this device instance".

    What does that mean?

    I'm running Windows 2000 SP4.

    I read the a discussion about this at
    http://www.computing.net/drivers/wwwboard/forum/4123.html, and tried the
    fix posted at
    http://www.isp.net.au/~merrick/Function_Driver/Function_Driver.htm, but
    I still get the same error message about the function driver.

    The MP3 player works fine on other computers. Gah...

    1. Advertising

  2. Semi Head

    Semi Head Guest

    I believe you'll find your answers here.

    http://www.usbman.com/Drivers and Patches.htm

    http://www.usbman.com/Win2000.htm

    http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter General.htm

    S_H