    ie : http://www.auditmypc.com/process/nvcpl.asp

    So..... is it a worm or an nvidia program?

    , Nov 6, 2005

  2. Cheung Guest

    Its a legititimate services file provided you see it listed in your
    services running as "NVIDIA Display Driver Service".

    I have found it an unecessary service and have had mine disabled for
    years. Its absence has caused no problems with my NVIDIA card and I
    have gone through multiple driver sets. I you want to stop stop
    disable NVIDIA Display Driver Service

    Cheung, Nov 6, 2005

  3. Guest

    Confusing isn't it {:>

    NvCpl.exe is a legitimate file, it is a running service that is
    installed by NVIDIA whenever you install a driver. However,
    any malware can be named anything and thus the Yanz. B Worm could be
    masking as the legitimate nvcpl.exe. Here is how to tell whether it is
    the legitimate file or a disguised virus: Check where the files of the
    running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe
    file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then
    there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

    If it is the legitimate nvcpl.exe running service then you can locate
    it via your Windows Services.

    Go to: start>run>services.msc

    and look for the "NVIDIA Display Driver Service". If you see it listed
    there and it is Enabled then that is service that is generating your
    running nvcpl.exe process. If you wish you can safely disable the
    NVIDIA Display Driver Service as it will have no effect on the
    performance of your NVIDIA driver. I have had this service disabled
    for years with no effect on my NVIDIA video card or driver performance.

    Hope this helps.

    Mango

    Incidentally, tha

    disable NVIDIA Display Driver Service

    , Nov 6, 2005
  4. Guest

    Confusing isn't it {:>

    NvCpl.exe is designed to be a legitimate file, it is actually a running
    service that is installed by NVIDIA whenever you install one of their
    drivers.

    However, any malware can be named anything and thus the Yanz. B Worm
    could be masking as the legitimate nvcpl.exe.
    Here is one way to tell whether a file is legitimate file or a
    disguised virus: Check where the files of the
    running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe
    file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then
    there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

    Go to: start>run>services.msc and look for the "NVIDIA Display Driver
    Service". If you see it listed there and it is Enabled then that is
    that service that is generating your running nvcpl.exe process. If you
    wish you can safely disable the NVIDIA Display Driver Service as it
    will have no effect on the performance of your NVIDIA driver. I have
    had this service disabled for years with no effect on my NVIDIA video
    card or driver performance.

    Hope this helps.

    Mango

    , Nov 6, 2005
  5. Guest

    I should add that the NVIDIA Display Driver Service affects the Control
    Panel, it allows extra display options to over clock cards and tweak
    settings.Since I don't overclock I don't need it. And besides, you can
    probably access the control panel manually without the need to have the
    "convencience" of a running service.

    Mango

    , Nov 6, 2005
  6. Guest

[...]