    differently? I have an ASROCK K8 Combo-Z motherboard, and 2 OCZ 1GB sticks
    of CAS 2 DDRAM PC3200

    Newbie to overclocking.

    John Smith, Aug 5, 2006

  2. John Smith

    DRS Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:yF5Bg.1326$
    > Just got this baby in yesterday. I have it oc'd to HTT 220 and
    > Mulitplied to 11. I get a speed of 2420.0 MHZ Is that good, or
    > should I tweak it differently? I have an ASROCK K8 Combo-Z
    > motherboard, and 2 OCZ 1GB sticks of CAS 2 DDRAM PC3200
    >
    > Newbie to overclocking.

    Drop your HT multiplier to x4 immediately. 220x5=1100 and you don't want it
    that high. Your 4200 should go to 2640 (11x240) comfortably, albeit with
    decent cooling and a tad more voltage, but if your RAM won't oc to DDR480
    drop your memory speed to DDR333 and the CPU frequency will drag it back up
    to DDR398.

    DRS, Aug 5, 2006

  3. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "DRS" <> wrote in message
    > "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> Just got this baby in yesterday. I have it oc'd to HTT 220 and
    >> Mulitplied to 11. I get a speed of 2420.0 MHZ Is that good, or
    >> should I tweak it differently? I have an ASROCK K8 Combo-Z
    >> motherboard, and 2 OCZ 1GB sticks of CAS 2 DDRAM PC3200
    >>
    >> Newbie to overclocking.

    > Drop your HT multiplier to x4 immediately. 220x5=1100 and you don't want
    > it that high. Your 4200 should go to 2640 (11x240) comfortably, albeit
    > with decent cooling and a tad more voltage, but if your RAM won't oc to
    > DDR480 drop your memory speed to DDR333 and the CPU frequency will drag it
    > back up to DDR398.

    That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ... it has
    to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it, and the temps
    never peek above 40C.

    John Smith, Aug 5, 2006
  4. John Smith

    Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    [snip]
    > That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ... it has
    > to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it, and the temps
    > never peek above 40C.

    Welcome to X64 overclocking ;) - he means the HT multiplier, not the
    CPU multiplier. I posted a link to a pretty good comprehensive
    overview of OC'ing in a recent thread.
    The basic principle is find the maximum absolute Mhz your CPU and
    memory can handle, then tweak the multipliers and base speeds to
    maximize the FSB and memory bandwidth within those limits.

    HTH,
    Kendt

    , Aug 5, 2006
  5. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > John Smith wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ... it
    >> has
    >> to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it, and the temps
    >> never peek above 40C.

    > Welcome to X64 overclocking ;) - he means the HT multiplier, not the
    > CPU multiplier. I posted a link to a pretty good comprehensive
    > overview of OC'ing in a recent thread.
    > The basic principle is find the maximum absolute Mhz your CPU and
    > memory can handle, then tweak the multipliers and base speeds to
    > maximize the FSB and memory bandwidth within those limits.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Kendt

    Thanks. I am still at a losss as my motherboard manufacturuer does things
    differently, being ASROCK. I just succussfully raised the CPU to 2.60 GHZ
    and the temps were under 45 C.
    These were the settings:
    MHZ for CPU = 235
    Multiplier = 11
    I think the other setting was 2200 ...

    John Smith, Aug 5, 2006
  6. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    2200 is correct

    John Smith, Aug 5, 2006
  7. John Smith

    DRS Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > "DRS" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    >> Drop your HT multiplier to x4 immediately. 220x5=1100 and you don't
    >> want it that high. Your 4200 should go to 2640 (11x240)
    >> comfortably, albeit with decent cooling and a tad more voltage, but
    >> if your RAM won't oc to DDR480 drop your memory speed to DDR333 and
    >> the CPU frequency will drag it back up to DDR398.

    > That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ...
    > it has to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it,
    > and the temps never peek above 40C.

    I said HT multiplier, not CPU multiplier. Bad things can happen when your
    HT is running that high and it's completely unnecessary because the HT bus
    has so much more bandwidth than the CPU can use anyway that dropping it back
    to x4 won't hurt anything. Now, is that temperature at idle or with CPUBurn
    runing on both cores?

    DRS, Aug 6, 2006
  8. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "DRS" <> wrote in message
    > "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> "DRS" <> wrote in message

    > [...]
    >
    >>> Drop your HT multiplier to x4 immediately. 220x5=1100 and you don't
    >>> want it that high. Your 4200 should go to 2640 (11x240)
    >>> comfortably, albeit with decent cooling and a tad more voltage, but
    >>> if your RAM won't oc to DDR480 drop your memory speed to DDR333 and
    >>> the CPU frequency will drag it back up to DDR398.

    >> That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ...
    >> it has to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it,
    >> and the temps never peek above 40C.

    > I said HT multiplier, not CPU multiplier.

    Oh, ok. The HT multiplier is set to auto. And those temps are when running
    live TV (MCE) and playing a small windows game in a window.

    John Smith, Aug 6, 2006
  9. John Smith

    DRS Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    > Oh, ok. The HT multiplier is set to auto. And those temps are when
    > running live TV (MCE) and playing a small windows game in a window.

    Download CPUBurn4 from
    http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24&d=1053782812. Run
    BurnK7.exe on both cores simultaneously. Watch the temperature for about 15
    or 20 minutes.

    DRS, Aug 6, 2006
  10. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "DRS" <> wrote in message
    > "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> Oh, ok. The HT multiplier is set to auto. And those temps are when
    >> running live TV (MCE) and playing a small windows game in a window.

    > Download CPUBurn4 from
    > http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24&d=1053782812. Run
    > BurnK7.exe on both cores simultaneously. Watch the temperature for about
    > 15 or 20 minutes.

    Thanks. Will give it a try.

    John Smith, Aug 6, 2006
  11. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    John Smith, Aug 6, 2006
  12. John Smith

    DRS Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > On second thought, considering the disclaimers that come with that
    > package about damaging components. However, I did find this article
    > on the web. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2452

    If you cannot safely run CPUBurn on both cores simultaneously then your CPU
    cooling is inadequate and you should not be overclocking. Ensuring your CPU
    is within safe limits at 100% load is the only valid test of temperature.

    DRS, Aug 6, 2006
  13. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "DRS" <> wrote in message
    > "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> On second thought, considering the disclaimers that come with that
    >> package about damaging components. However, I did find this article
    >> on the web. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2452

    > If you cannot safely run CPUBurn on both cores simultaneously then your
    > CPU cooling is inadequate and you should not be overclocking. Ensuring
    > your CPU is within safe limits at 100% load is the only valid test of
    > temperature.

    I am too chicken to try. Can you recommend a version that looks more
    professional, one that doesn't use batch files and has cool graphics? (grin)

    John Smith, Aug 6, 2006