What sound drivers on K7S5A?

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Li'l ol' me, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Li'l ol' me

    Li'l ol' me Guest

    Just installed XP on a K7S5A I got in a bundle with no driver CD or manual.

    Got everything working but sound.

    Originally I installed realtek drivers as I assumed it was one of those, but
    got no sound even though it installed fine. I then found out the chipset
    was made by SiS (735) so I downloaded their audio drivers and tried those.
    XP was reluctant to let me install those, but they went on fine.

    But still no sound!

    There are no conflicts anywhere, and stuff like Media player doesn't bitch
    at me. I've checked the audio/volume settings and found no problem.

    But still no sound.

    Any ideas?

    1. Advertising

  2. Shep©

    Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:39:00 +0100, In this world we created "Li'l ol'
    me" <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote :

    >Just installed XP on a K7S5A I got in a bundle with no driver CD or manual.
    >
    >Got everything working but sound.
    >
    >Originally I installed realtek drivers as I assumed it was one of those, but
    >got no sound even though it installed fine. I then found out the chipset
    >was made by SiS (735) so I downloaded their audio drivers and tried those.
    >XP was reluctant to let me install those, but they went on fine.
    >
    >But still no sound!
    >
    >There are no conflicts anywhere, and stuff like Media player doesn't bitch
    >at me. I've checked the audio/volume settings and found no problem.
    >
    >But still no sound.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Try here,
    http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/drivers_sound.html
    and check the device mangler using safemode as per,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

  3. Li'l ol' me

    Li'l ol' me Guest

    I've identified the driver for the first board from the link given by the
    first reply (ta). It's says CMI 9738 for a 3.1 revision, so I'm downloading
    that as I type.

    But I have another board with no revision number on it, so I guess I might
    have to try all of em in that one.

    "Graeme Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > In my experience the K7S5A uses at least THREE different AC chips for

    sound.

    http://download.sis.com/sisdlc/driver_list.jsp
    > 2. The Avent chip (Realtek)

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8
    &Software=True
    > 3. The CMI 8738 http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm
    >
    > Hope this helps...
    >
    > Graeme.
    >
    > "Li'l ol' me" <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Just installed XP on a K7S5A I got in a bundle with no driver CD or

    > manual.
    > >
    > > Got everything working but sound.
    > >
    > > Originally I installed realtek drivers as I assumed it was one of those,

    > but
    > > got no sound even though it installed fine. I then found out the

    chipset
    > > was made by SiS (735) so I downloaded their audio drivers and tried

    those.
    > > XP was reluctant to let me install those, but they went on fine.
    > >
    > > But still no sound!
    > >
    > > There are no conflicts anywhere, and stuff like Media player doesn't

    bitch
    > > at me. I've checked the audio/volume settings and found no problem.
    > >
    > > But still no sound.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

  4. Li'l ol' me

    Li'l ol' me Guest

    Well that didn't work for a kick off, although XP didn't complain about
    installing it at least!

    > I've identified the driver for the first board from the link given by the
    > first reply (ta). It's says CMI 9738 for a 3.1 revision, so I'm

    downloading
    > that as I type.
    >
    > But I have another board with no revision number on it, so I guess I might
    > have to try all of em in that one.
    >
    > "Graeme Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > > In my experience the K7S5A uses at least THREE different AC chips for

    > sound.
    > >
    > > 1. The SiS7012 - link here...

    > http://download.sis.com/sisdlc/driver_list.jsp
    > > 2. The Avent chip (Realtek)

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8
    > &Software=True
    > > 3. The CMI 8738 http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm
    > >
    > > Hope this helps...
    > >
    > > Graeme.
    > >
    > > "Li'l ol' me" <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > Just installed XP on a K7S5A I got in a bundle with no driver CD or

    > > manual.
    > > >
    > > > Got everything working but sound.
    > > >
    > > > Originally I installed realtek drivers as I assumed it was one of

    those,
    > > but
    > > > got no sound even though it installed fine. I then found out the

    > chipset
    > > > was made by SiS (735) so I downloaded their audio drivers and tried

    > those.
    > > > XP was reluctant to let me install those, but they went on fine.
    > > >
    > > > But still no sound!
    > > >
    > > > There are no conflicts anywhere, and stuff like Media player doesn't

    > bitch
    > > > at me. I've checked the audio/volume settings and found no problem.
    > > >
    > > > But still no sound.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?

  5. Guest

    Li'l ol' me wrote:

    > Just installed XP on a K7S5A I got in a bundle with no driver CD or manual.
    >
    > Got everything working but sound.
    >
    > Originally I installed realtek drivers as I assumed it was one of those, but
    > got no sound even though it installed fine. I then found out the chipset
    > was made by SiS (735) so I downloaded their audio drivers and tried those.
    > XP was reluctant to let me install those, but they went on fine.
    >
    > But still no sound!
    >
    > There are no conflicts anywhere, and stuff like Media player doesn't bitch
    > at me. I've checked the audio/volume settings and found no problem.
    >
    > But still no sound.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    When I first got my K7S5A, I had the same situation. No driver errors reported,
    and no sound. But it turned out to be simply that the K7S5A audio doesn't have
    enough output to drive passive speakers. Plugged in amplified speakers and the
    sound was fine.
    gm

  6. Mike G

    Mike G Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:10:24 +0100, "Li'l ol' me"
    <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >I've identified the driver for the first board from the link given by the
    >first reply (ta). It's says CMI 9738 for a 3.1 revision, so I'm downloading
    >that as I type.
    >
    >But I have another board with no revision number on it, so I guess I might
    >have to try all of em in that one.

    Why not just look at the board to find out what audio chip it has?
    It's just to the left of the 2nd PCI slot - a small chip with pins on
    all four sides.

    --
    Mike

  7. Li'l ol' me

    Li'l ol' me Guest

    "Mike G" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:10:24 +0100, "Li'l ol' me"
    > <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >I've identified the driver for the first board from the link given by the
    > >first reply (ta). It's says CMI 9738 for a 3.1 revision, so I'm

    downloading
    > >that as I type.
    > >
    > >But I have another board with no revision number on it, so I guess I

    might
    > >have to try all of em in that one.

    > Why not just look at the board to find out what audio chip it has?
    > It's just to the left of the 2nd PCI slot - a small chip with pins on
    > all four sides.
    >
    > --
    > Mike

    Just done this (it was above the 2nd PCI slot). It's a CMI9738, but the
    drivers didn't seem to work as I reported elsewhere. Someone just mentioned
    about not using passive speakers, so I'll hook it up to my amp and try that.

  8. Shep©

    Shep© Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:47:19 +0100, In this world we created "Li'l ol'
    me" <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote :

    >"Mike G" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:10:24 +0100, "Li'l ol' me"
    >> <richie42@***SPAMOFF**eidosnet.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've identified the driver for the first board from the link given by the
    >> >first reply (ta). It's says CMI 9738 for a 3.1 revision, so I'm

    >downloading
    >> >that as I type.
    >> >
    >> >But I have another board with no revision number on it, so I guess I

    >might
    >> >have to try all of em in that one.

    >> Why not just look at the board to find out what audio chip it has?
    >> It's just to the left of the 2nd PCI slot - a small chip with pins on
    >> all four sides.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike

    >Just done this (it was above the 2nd PCI slot). It's a CMI9738, but the
    >drivers didn't seem to work as I reported elsewhere. Someone just mentioned
    >about not using passive speakers, so I'll hook it up to my amp and try that.

    Dat is your problem.Most sound cards and on board chips aren't
    amplified :p

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,