What stepping/specs to look for? (E6600)

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Thomas Andersson, Dec 7, 2007.

  1. Hi!

    Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
    and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
    looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible processor
    model?

    TIA
    Thomas

    1. Advertising

  2. Al Brumski

    Al Brumski Guest

    That's old stuff,

    Look for an E6850. 3.0ghz stock, beautiful G0 stepping runs real cool.

    I have one in my desk drawer that I'm gonna send to my daughter, (just
    bought a QX9650 last week).

    E6850 all the way.

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:26:50 +0100, "Thomas Andersson"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
    >and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
    >looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible processor
    >model?
    >
    >TIA
    >Thomas

    1. Advertising

  3. Al Brumski wrote:

    > That's old stuff,

    Might be, but it's the edge of my budget.

    > Look for an E6850. 3.0ghz stock, beautiful G0 stepping runs real cool.

    Nice information, but doesn't realy answer the question at hand.

    > I have one in my desk drawer that I'm gonna send to my daughter, (just
    > bought a QX9650 last week).

    Good for her, and for you, but doesn't help me at all with my issue.

    >> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
    >> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
    >> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the
    >> best possible processor model?

  4. Brett Kline

    Brett Kline Guest

  5. On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:26:50 +0100, Thomas Andersson <> wrote:
    : Hi!
    :
    : Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
    : and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
    : looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible processor
    : model?

    I didn't know what the hell I was doing at the time (*) and found 3Ghz
    with the B3 stepping a no brainer on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

    (*) And I've gotten better because I can really break things now

  6. Brett Kline wrote:

    >> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
    >> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
    >> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best
    >> possible processor model?

    > Only one E6600 to choose from.
    >
    > http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=884354&familyID=1&culture=en-US

    I noticed that there was only one stepping when I started look aropund, but
    there appears to be two different sspecs where the SL9ZL is preferable over
    the SL9S8 (I think) due to some optimization and lower iddle power
    consumption (so I guess I found my own answer).

    Can someone confirm that I've understood this correctly?

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

  7. On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:19:34 +0100, Thomas Andersson <> wrote:
    : Brett Kline wrote:
    :
    : >> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
    : >> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
    : >> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best
    : >> possible processor model?
    : >
    : > Only one E6600 to choose from.
    : >
    : > http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=884354&familyID=1&culture=en-US
    :
    : I noticed that there was only one stepping when I started look aropund, but
    : there appears to be two different sspecs where the SL9ZL is preferable over
    : the SL9S8 (I think) due to some optimization and lower iddle power
    : consumption (so I guess I found my own answer).
    :

    My E6600 B3 was an SL9S8, you have the designation correct

  8. RIAA

    RIAA Guest

    "Thomas Andersson" <> wrote in message
    > Al Brumski wrote:
    >
    >> That's old stuff,

    > Might be, but it's the edge of my budget.

    Wait a while and drop some more pennies into your piggy bank, and then the
    reply will be most helpfull.

    >> Look for an E6850. 3.0ghz stock, beautiful G0 stepping runs real cool.

    > Nice information, but doesn't realy answer the question at hand.
    >
    >> I have one in my desk drawer that I'm gonna send to my daughter, (just
    >> bought a QX9650 last week).

    > Good for her, and for you, but doesn't help me at all with my issue.

    Wait a while and drop some more pennies into your piggy bank, and then the
    reply will be most helpfull.

    >>> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
    >>> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
    >>> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the
    >>> best possible processor model?

  9. RobV

    RobV Guest

    Thomas Andersson wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
    > E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
    > should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best
    > possible processor model?
    >
    > TIA
    > Thomas

    I have a B2 stepping E6600 running at 3 GHz @ 1.34V. I just raised the
    FSB to 1333 MHz (333 in the BIOS setting) and didn't have to change
    anything, including memory timings/voltage (using Corsair DDR2 800).
    Highest temp with the stock HS/F is 50C when both cores are runnung
    100%, as when I'm transcoding Divx Video.

  10. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Thomas Andersson' wrote:
    | Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
    | and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
    | looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible
    processor
    | model?
    _____

    In general, CPUs with a lower FSB and a higher multiplier are easier to
    overclock because the motherboard chipset and circuit layout need not be
    overclock as much, or even at all. If you have a 1333 MHz FSB capable
    motherboard, the first 33% overclock with a 1066 MHz FSB doesn't require the
    motherboard to be overclocked at all; with an E6600 1066 MHz FSB CPU,
    setting the FSB to 1333 MHz gives a 33% overclock at 3 GHz.

    This URL
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2558&sSpec=&OrdCode=
    shows two sSPEC# designations for the E6600, both with the same B2 stepping.
    The only difference noted in the chart for the two sSPEC# CPUs is
    SL9SB Tdiode is enabled Extended Halt (C1E) power of 22 W
    SL9ZL Extended Halt (C1E) power of 12 W

    This reference has pointers to more detailed information the two sSPEC#
    E6600 CPUs. Also, with the sSPEC# you can Google for how the two versions
    compare for overclocking.

    At least for purchase in the US, EBay prices for the E6600 don't look so
    good.

    What you have to consider for an EBay purchase (at least in the US EBay) of
    an E6600 is that the 'Buy it now' prices today are HIGHER than at a quality
    etailer like newegg.com ($234.99 & free shipping vs. $233.00 to $285.00 PLUS
    shipping). For the E6600 up for bids, the one with the most immediate
    auction close time (3 hours 22 minutes) is an OEM without a heatsink/fan and
    has a current high bid of $118.00 US. I will be interesting to see how high
    it goes.

    Despite the 1333 MHz FSB for the E6750 2.66 GHz CPU, a NEW boxed, retail
    with Intel heatsink/fan is likely less expensive than a E6600 on EBay.
    newegg.com has the E6750 for $189.99 with free shipping.

    If you don't have an immediate need, it might be wise to see the prices on
    similar speed 'Penryn' CPUs when they come out early next year, and what
    that does to the E6600 price.

    Phil Weldon

  11. Phil Weldon wrote:

    > At least for purchase in the US, EBay prices for the E6600 don't look
    > so good.
    >
    > What you have to consider for an EBay purchase (at least in the US
    > EBay) of an E6600 is that the 'Buy it now' prices today are HIGHER
    > than at a quality etailer like newegg.com ($234.99 & free shipping
    > vs. $233.00 to $285.00 PLUS shipping). For the E6600 up for bids,
    > the one with the most immediate auction close time (3 hours 22
    > minutes) is an OEM without a heatsink/fan and has a current high bid
    > of $118.00 US. I will be interesting to see how high it goes.

    There's a bunch of OEM E6600 with $145 buyout (SL9SB sspec).
    The alternative for me is a NewEgg E4400 as my budget will be at most 150ish
    for the cpu ($200+ parts are out of question)..

    > Despite the 1333 MHz FSB for the E6750 2.66 GHz CPU, a NEW boxed,
    > retail with Intel heatsink/fan is likely less expensive than a E6600
    > on EBay. newegg.com has the E6750 for $189.99 with free shipping.

    I'd prefer a 800 or 1066 FSp part though, for the reasons you described
    above.

    > If you don't have an immediate need, it might be wise to see the
    > prices on similar speed 'Penryn' CPUs when they come out early next
    > year, and what that does to the E6600 price.

    Well, I'm mostly 'windowshopping' still while gathering the needed funds. I
    will prolly buy some other parts before the CPU.
    Anyway, thanks for the good advice.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

  12. Al Brumski

    Al Brumski Guest

    I agree with Phil.

    Wait for the 45nm release.

    I'm currently running the QX9650 and it's nothing short of astounding.

    4.2ghz 24/7 1.40 vcore full load temps ~54C on water.

    Idles in the upper 20's

    Max oc - 4.6 ghz
    Al

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 16:30:22 -0500, "Phil Weldon"
    <> wrote:

    >'Thomas Andersson' wrote:
    >| Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
    >| and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
    >| looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible
    >processor
    >| model?
    >_____
    >
    >In general, CPUs with a lower FSB and a higher multiplier are easier to
    >overclock because the motherboard chipset and circuit layout need not be
    >overclock as much, or even at all. If you have a 1333 MHz FSB capable
    >motherboard, the first 33% overclock with a 1066 MHz FSB doesn't require the
    >motherboard to be overclocked at all; with an E6600 1066 MHz FSB CPU,
    >setting the FSB to 1333 MHz gives a 33% overclock at 3 GHz.
    >
    >This URL
    >http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2558&sSpec=&OrdCode=
    >shows two sSPEC# designations for the E6600, both with the same B2 stepping.
    >The only difference noted in the chart for the two sSPEC# CPUs is
    >SL9SB Tdiode is enabled Extended Halt (C1E) power of 22 W
    >SL9ZL Extended Halt (C1E) power of 12 W
    >
    >This reference has pointers to more detailed information the two sSPEC#
    >E6600 CPUs. Also, with the sSPEC# you can Google for how the two versions
    >compare for overclocking.
    >
    >At least for purchase in the US, EBay prices for the E6600 don't look so
    >good.
    >
    >What you have to consider for an EBay purchase (at least in the US EBay) of
    >an E6600 is that the 'Buy it now' prices today are HIGHER than at a quality
    >etailer like newegg.com ($234.99 & free shipping vs. $233.00 to $285.00 PLUS
    >shipping). For the E6600 up for bids, the one with the most immediate
    >auction close time (3 hours 22 minutes) is an OEM without a heatsink/fan and
    >has a current high bid of $118.00 US. I will be interesting to see how high
    >it goes.
    >
    >Despite the 1333 MHz FSB for the E6750 2.66 GHz CPU, a NEW boxed, retail
    >with Intel heatsink/fan is likely less expensive than a E6600 on EBay.
    >newegg.com has the E6750 for $189.99 with free shipping.
    >
    >If you don't have an immediate need, it might be wise to see the prices on
    >similar speed 'Penryn' CPUs when they come out early next year, and what
    >that does to the E6600 price.
    >
    >Phil Weldon
    >

    >"Thomas Andersson" <> wrote in message
    >| Hi!
    >|
    >| Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a E6600
    >| and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs should I be
    >| looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the best possible
    >processor
    >| model?
    >|
    >| TIA
    >| Thomas

  13. Brett Kline

    Brett Kline Guest

    Thomas Andersson wrote:
    > Brett Kline wrote:
    >
    >>> Ok, so I've started looking for a processor on eBay. I'm going for a
    >>> E6600 and now my question is this. What steppoing or other speccs
    >>> should I be looking for (gonna try to run it at 3GHz) to get the
    >>> best possible processor model?

    >> Only one E6600 to choose from.
    >>
    >> http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=884354&familyID=1&culture=en-US

    > I noticed that there was only one stepping when I started look
    > aropund, but there appears to be two different sspecs where the SL9ZL
    > is preferable over the SL9S8 (I think) due to some optimization and
    > lower iddle power consumption (so I guess I found my own answer).
    >
    > Can someone confirm that I've understood this correctly?

    Your search skills beat mine, as my first look only listed the SL9S8.

    The SL9ZL extended HALT (C1E) power was reduced to 12W. Both the SL9ZL and
    the SL9S8 have a CPUID of 06F6h, so overclocking potential would be the same
    in both variants.

    Have you considered the E4500 or E4600 as an alternative to the E6600?

  14. Brett Kline wrote:

    > Your search skills beat mine, as my first look only listed the SL9S8.
    >
    > The SL9ZL extended HALT (C1E) power was reduced to 12W. Both the
    > SL9ZL and the SL9S8 have a CPUID of 06F6h, so overclocking potential
    > would be the same in both variants.
    >
    > Have you considered the E4500 or E4600 as an alternative to the E6600?

    Yes I have, my first goal was the the lowe 4x00 ones, but when I saw cheap
    6600s on eBay I figured that the double cache would be preferable.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas