What upgrade is this?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Wes Groleau, Apr 10, 2012.

  1. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    If I click "About this Mac" & "More info", I see that I am running
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50)

    Software update says all my software is up-to-date.

    But the app store wants me to "upgrade" OS X Lion, with no release notes
    and no version number. I downloaded it (nearly an hour) and ran through
    the first few screens of the installer (without actually installing) but
    still no version number nor release notes.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
    it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... He is full of
    murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having
    come by their ignorance the hard way.
    — Kurt Vonnegut

    1. Advertising

  2. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > If I click "About this Mac" & "More info", I see that I am running
    > Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50)
    >
    > Software update says all my software is up-to-date.
    >
    > But the app store wants me to "upgrade" OS X Lion, with no release notes
    > and no version number. I downloaded it (nearly an hour) and ran through
    > the first few screens of the installer (without actually installing) but
    > still no version number nor release notes.

    App Store offered to update your copy of the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
    application. It is simply described as "Lion" on the App Store, but is
    really the Lion installer.

    After accepting that update from App Store, your copy of "Install Mac OS
    X Lion" will have been updated so that if you use it again it will now
    install 10.7.3 directly, rather than installing whichever older minor
    version you had previously downloaded from App Store (and requiring a
    subsequent update via Software update or other method to get to 10.7.3).

    The Lion installer doesn't bother mentioning which minor version of Lion
    it will install, as Apple expects that most people run it once and allow
    it to be deleted automatically, rather than keep and reuse it.

    The version number of the "Install Mac OS X Lion" application doesn't
    directly relate to the version number of Lion it installs, but the
    installer version number is incremented for each Lion minor version.
    Version 1.0.16 of the application will install Mac OS X 10.7.3. The
    detailed description on the App Store mentions the Lion minor version
    number rather than the installer application version number.

    If you want to avoid being notified by App Store about updates for your
    "Install Mac OS X Lion" application but you do want to keep it, you need
    to put it somewhere where Spotlight can't find it, e.g. a folder
    excluded from Spotlight searches, inside a disk image (not mounted), or
    on an external drive which is not normally connected.

    --
    David Empson

    1. Advertising

  3. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 04-10-2012 02:17, David Empson wrote:
    > After accepting that update from App Store, your copy of "Install Mac OS
    > X Lion" will have been updated so that if you use it again it will now
    > install 10.7.3 directly, rather than installing whichever older minor

    Except that I didn't actually run it. However the fact that I _started_
    to run it (but exited after a couple of steps caused the App store label
    to change to "installed"

    Now, the store isn't offering it and I have no idea where it was
    downloaded to.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage.
    But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine,
    is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it.

  4. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > On 04-10-2012 02:17, David Empson wrote:
    > > After accepting that update from App Store, your copy of "Install Mac OS
    > > X Lion" will have been updated so that if you use it again it will now
    > > install 10.7.3 directly, rather than installing whichever older minor

    > Except that I didn't actually run it.

    Running the Lion installer has nothing to do with App Store updating it.

    > However the fact that I _started_ to run it (but exited after a couple of
    > steps caused the App store label to change to "installed"

    The "Installed" indication just means that the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
    application is on your computer. It doesn't indicate that you have run
    it and installed Lion.

    I'm running Snow Leopard, have "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" sitting in my
    Applications folder, and my App Store says "Installed" next to "OS X
    Lion" in my Purchases list.

    > Now, the store isn't offering it and I have no idea where it was
    > downloaded to.

    If you are already running Lion, then the Purchases list in App Store
    normally hides "OS X Lion". You can see it if you hold down the Option
    key when clicking on Purchases in the toolbar (may have go to another
    view first if Purchases is already the active view).

    If it says "Download" then you don't have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
    application anywhere that Spotlight can find it.

    If it says "Installed" then you have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
    application somewhere on your computer. Unfortunately App Store doesn't
    offer a way to locate the installed application.

    Use Spotlight to find "Install Mac OS X Lion". It will be there
    somewhere, but might be in a strange location (possibly even in a
    location which requires a Spotlight search via Finder with "System Files
    are included").

    --
    David Empson

  5. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 04-11-2012 05:12, David Empson wrote:
    > If it says "Installed" then you have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
    > application somewhere on your computer. Unfortunately App Store doesn't
    > offer a way to locate the installed application.

    In the two locations where I had put it originally, I found 1.0.16.
    Checking the Time Machine DB, I see that they were 1.0.13 two days ago.

    So that part makes sense. But now what doesn't make sense is that if
    that is for installing the version that was already running, why did it
    not only download but also try to run?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    “Statistics are like bikinis.
    What they reveal is suggestive,
    but what they conceal is vital.â€
    — Aaron Levenstein

  6. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > On 04-11-2012 05:12, David Empson wrote:
    > > If it says "Installed" then you have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
    > > application somewhere on your computer. Unfortunately App Store doesn't
    > > offer a way to locate the installed application.

    > In the two locations where I had put it originally, I found 1.0.16.
    > Checking the Time Machine DB, I see that they were 1.0.13 two days ago.
    >
    > So that part makes sense. But now what doesn't make sense is that if
    > that is for installing the version that was already running, why did it
    > not only download but also try to run?

    On Snow Leopard, the Lion installer always runs automatically when
    downloaded by App Store (unlike everything else).

    Perhaps it does that even if you are already running Lion?

    --
    David Empson

  7. Tom Stiller

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <1kig7md.abv2lpk2lmpzN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 04-11-2012 05:12, David Empson wrote:
    > > > If it says "Installed" then you have the "Install Mac OS X Lion"
    > > > application somewhere on your computer. Unfortunately App Store doesn't
    > > > offer a way to locate the installed application.

    > > In the two locations where I had put it originally, I found 1.0.16.
    > > Checking the Time Machine DB, I see that they were 1.0.13 two days ago.
    > >
    > > So that part makes sense. But now what doesn't make sense is that if
    > > that is for installing the version that was already running, why did it
    > > not only download but also try to run?

    > On Snow Leopard, the Lion installer always runs automatically when
    > downloaded by App Store (unlike everything else).
    >
    > Perhaps it does that even if you are already running Lion?

    Yes.

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce