    Just going to put all my fans on 7 Volts i mean 5 volts when not
    playing games.

    Thanks.
    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 2, 2004

    DX Guest

    "We Live For The One We Die For The One" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > I think Vantec, the silver one with the 4 controlers.

    This is a piece of junk; I made the mistake of buying 2, and Neither work
    properly.
    The coolermaster Aerogate II is much better (IMO); I would not connect the
    cpu fan to it though; on a few occasions the bugger has cut out...

    > Any other ideas ?
    >
    > Just going to put all my fans on 7 Volts i mean 5 volts when not
    > playing games.
    >

    > Thanks.

    dx
    DX, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Whats the problem with the Vantecs ??

    The one i'am getting is the NXP_201 the same as the NXP-205 :)

    Probs ?

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 2, 2004

    John Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:09:15 +1100, We Live For The One We Die For The One
    <> wrote:

    >Whats the problem with the Vantecs ??
    >
    >The one i'am getting is the NXP_201 the same as the NXP-205 :)
    >
    >Probs ?

    I have both the 201 and the smaller 205 (201 is for sale.. UK)

    The 201 version does work okay across its full supposed voltage range of 7v to
    12v, although it does emit a slight ticking sound when you place your ear close
    to it (12" away)

    Its later smaller 205 cousin seems to not provide the full voltage range... at
    least mine doesn't.. It gives approx 8.4v to 12v and a friends 205 appears the
    same, however to does not emit the ticking noise which occurs on the 201,
    although its not really noticeable in normal use. You have to be close to it to
    hear it.

    I've been running my system with the 205 connected for some months now and it
    works quite well. Vantec advise you don't connect your cpu fan to the
    controller although I did and I had no problems for 3 months, however, one day
    I powered up and unknown to me the cpu fan did not spin up and the m/c gave a
    overheat warning when the cpu reached the bios temp warning trip threshold.
    Fortunately no harm was done.... The fan tested out okay and the Vantec 205
    powered the cpu fan on the next boot, but to be on the safe side I changed the
    fan for another and plugged it directly to the 12v on the powersupply. I now
    just use the 205 for controlling my 5 case fans. I'm not sure whether it was an
    issue with the fan or the speed controller which caused the fan not to run but
    as I tended to run the 80mm cpu fan at full speed anyway (a normal 80mm case fan
    BTW) it was no big deal and I preferred to play safe. :))

    A cheaper option is to use a 3watt resistor, I suggest in the range 33ohm to
    47ohm.

    Regards

    John
    John, Jan 2, 2004
  5. I just order the 201, 5/12 incher aint it, just like to 7volt my fans
    when like i'am doing this and just typing, and yank em up when i
    player game when i can't hear the fans anyway :)

    Thanks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 3, 2004