What's in your "Recovery" Toolbox? (HDD, Registry, Backup/Sync, etc.)

Discussion in 'IBM' started by CURIOUS ANGEL, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. I'm on a Dual PIII (1000 MHz X 2) with WINDOWS 2000 PRO and I'm looking
    for opinions on the best utilities for the following functions:

    1. HARD DISK DRIVE
    ______including MBR, Bad Sectors, Partitions, Disk Imaging

    2. REGISTRY
    ______including clean, repair, backup, control/manage
    ______and (if possible) a novice-friendly GUI that explains every Key's
    function and color-highlights suspicious entries

    3. BACKUP
    ______including the entire OS

    4. FILE/DIRECTORY SYNCHRONIZATION
    ______I'm looking for SPEED primarily. I have a couple of (older)
    utilities but they routinely crash and burn -or- lock up my system
    because the load is too great (two of my 4 HDD's are 169 GB . . .)

    Thanks everyone! Open to all ideas, even if I left something out. ;)

    Angel

    CURIOUS ANGEL, Aug 28, 2005

  2. CURIOUS ANGEL

    DL Guest

    "CURIOUS ANGEL" <> wrote in message
    > I'm on a Dual PIII (1000 MHz X 2) with WINDOWS 2000 PRO and I'm looking
    > for opinions on the best utilities for the following functions:
    >
    > 1. HARD DISK DRIVE
    > ______including MBR, Bad Sectors, Partitions, Disk Imaging

    Free utilities supplied by your hd manu are generally good for checking
    disks
    Acronis or Ghost for disk imaging

    > 2. REGISTRY
    > ______including clean, repair, backup, control/manage
    > ______and (if possible) a novice-friendly GUI that explains every Key's
    > function and color-highlights suspicious entries

    Dont bother with cleaning, MS has stated there is no advantage, if you must
    ccleaner is oft reccomended
    For reg backup Erunt
    There isnt such a thing as a novice friendly GUI for keys - dont mess if you
    dont 'positively understand'

    > 3. BACKUP
    > ______including the entire OS

    To many to choose from, also see Disk Imaging

    > 4. FILE/DIRECTORY SYNCHRONIZATION
    > ______I'm looking for SPEED primarily. I have a couple of (older)
    > utilities but they routinely crash and burn -or- lock up my system
    > because the load is too great (two of my 4 HDD's are 169 GB . . .)

    Diskkeeper or Perfect Disk oft reccomended

    DL, Aug 28, 2005

  3. CURIOUS ANGEL

    Jeremy Boden Guest

    In message <>,
    CURIOUS ANGEL <> writes
    >I'm on a Dual PIII (1000 MHz X 2) with WINDOWS 2000 PRO and I'm looking
    >for opinions on the best utilities for the following functions:
    >
    >1. HARD DISK DRIVE
    >______including MBR, Bad Sectors, Partitions, Disk Imaging
    >
    >2. REGISTRY
    >______including clean, repair, backup, control/manage
    >______and (if possible) a novice-friendly GUI that explains every Key's
    >function and color-highlights suspicious entries
    >
    >3. BACKUP
    >______including the entire OS
    >
    >4. FILE/DIRECTORY SYNCHRONIZATION
    >______I'm looking for SPEED primarily. I have a couple of (older)
    >utilities but they routinely crash and burn -or- lock up my system
    >because the load is too great (two of my 4 HDD's are 169 GB . . .)
    >
    >Thanks everyone! Open to all ideas, even if I left something out. ;)
    >
    >Angel

    Try Linux.

    --
    Jeremy Boden

    Jeremy Boden, Aug 28, 2005
  4. CURIOUS ANGEL

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Another raving looney Linux troll.

    Where is bootpart, findpart, R/W NTFS, NTFS utils, GUI disk utils, etc?

    Eric Gisin, Aug 28, 2005
  5. CURIOUS ANGEL

    fj Guest

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message

    > "CURIOUS ANGEL" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm on a Dual PIII (1000 MHz X 2) with WINDOWS 2000 PRO and I'm looking
    >> for opinions on the best utilities for the following functions:
    >>
    >> 1. HARD DISK DRIVE
    >> ______including MBR, Bad Sectors, Partitions, Disk Imaging

    > Free utilities supplied by your hd manu are generally good for checking
    > disks
    > Acronis or Ghost for disk imaging
    >
    >> 2. REGISTRY
    >> ______including clean, repair, backup, control/manage
    >> ______and (if possible) a novice-friendly GUI that explains every Key's
    >> function and color-highlights suspicious entries

    > Dont bother with cleaning, MS has stated there is no advantage, if you
    > must
    > ccleaner is oft reccomended

    In my experience ALL registry cleaners are dangerous. They have all
    identified registry keys for deleting that are essential parts of installed
    applications. And, of course, the way you find out is when the program
    doesn't work/has a problem.
    I've simply come to the conclusion that, if I'm going to be constantly
    tweaking my setup, I'd better accept that I need to do a clean install 1-2
    times a year.

    fj, Aug 28, 2005
  6. CURIOUS ANGEL

    Guest

    Partition Table Doctor 3.0 -- partition recovery tool.
    Partition Table Doctor is the only real partition recovery software
    used to recover partition for hard disk when you experience a drive
    error
    (other than hardware failure) this versatile tool automatically
    checks and repairs the Master Boot Record, partition table, and
    the boot sector of the partition with an error, to recover the
    FAT16/FAT32/NTFS/NTFS5/EXT2/EXT3/SWAP partitions on
    IDE/ATA/SATA/SCSI hard disk drives. It can create an emergency
    floppy disk or a bootable CD for partition recovery even if your
    operating system fails to boot. Partition Table Doctor manager
    for MS-DOS, Freedos, Windows 95/98/Me, Windows NT 4.0,
    Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003.

    http://www.ptdd.com
    http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery.htm
    http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm

    fj wrote:
    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "CURIOUS ANGEL" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm on a Dual PIII (1000 MHz X 2) with WINDOWS 2000 PRO and I'm looking
    > >> for opinions on the best utilities for the following functions:
    > >>
    > >> 1. HARD DISK DRIVE
    > >> ______including MBR, Bad Sectors, Partitions, Disk Imaging

    > > Free utilities supplied by your hd manu are generally good for checking
    > > disks
    > > Acronis or Ghost for disk imaging
    > >
    > >> 2. REGISTRY
    > >> ______including clean, repair, backup, control/manage
    > >> ______and (if possible) a novice-friendly GUI that explains every Key's
    > >> function and color-highlights suspicious entries

    > > Dont bother with cleaning, MS has stated there is no advantage, if you
    > > must
    > > ccleaner is oft reccomended

    > In my experience ALL registry cleaners are dangerous. They have all
    > identified registry keys for deleting that are essential parts of installed
    > applications. And, of course, the way you find out is when the program
    > doesn't work/has a problem.
    > I've simply come to the conclusion that, if I'm going to be constantly
    > tweaking my setup, I'd better accept that I need to do a clean install 1-2
    > times a year.
    > > For reg backup Erunt
    > > There isnt such a thing as a novice friendly GUI for keys - dont mess if
    > > you
    > > dont 'positively understand'
    > >
    > >> 3. BACKUP
    > >> ______including the entire OS

    > > To many to choose from, also see Disk Imaging
    > >

    > >> 4. FILE/DIRECTORY SYNCHRONIZATION
    > >> ______I'm looking for SPEED primarily. I have a couple of (older)
    > >> utilities but they routinely crash and burn -or- lock up my system
    > >> because the load is too great (two of my 4 HDD's are 169 GB . . .)

    > > Diskkeeper or Perfect Disk oft reccomended
    > >

    > >> Thanks everyone! Open to all ideas, even if I left something out. ;)
    > >>
    > >> Angel

    , Aug 29, 2005
  7. <> wrote in message news:
    > Partition Table Doctor 3.0 -- partition recovery tool.
    > Partition Table Doctor

    > * is the only real partition recovery software *

    Oh look, *it* has even gone into full blown troll mode now.

    Folkert Rienstra, Aug 29, 2005
  8. CURIOUS ANGEL

    Walterius Guest

    his point was, i think, that you wouldn't need that crap if you switched to
    Linux.

    --
    Walterius

    Walterius, Aug 29, 2005
  9. CURIOUS ANGEL

    Joep Guest

    "Walterius" <> wrote in message
    > his point was, i think, that you wouldn't need that crap if you switched

    > Linux.

    I have seen many people who actually never needed a recovery toolbox harder
    than after trying linux.

    --
    Joep

    Joep, Aug 30, 2005